What's new

Crabtree & Evelyn (Edwin Jagger) Best Badger Brush

Item Description

Price: Great value. As $35 brushes go, it can't be beat. Consider again that its probably readily available in a mall shop near you, and you've got yourself a fantastic brush for the price.

Quality: Exactly what you'd expect out of a brush at this price -- I've had a couple hairs shed, and a couple around the periphery lose contact with the main knot after a few days, but nothing really unacceptable. The handle and bristles look extremely attractive, and fluff out well after a few good shakes.

Density: Average. They might have packed a little bit more in, but its perfectly acceptable for my money.

Tips: A little on the stiff side, especially at the tips. The brush appears very soft, but when you put it against your face, the tips feel slightly more stiff than you'd expect. As someone who would prefer a softer brush though, its not enough to put me off. If you like to lather with a little pressure, past the tips, it feels extremely soft.

Ergonomics: Can't complain at all . I've got small hands, and appreciate a brush with a narrow base. The ivory-colored base feels very smooth and solid in your hand, but not too cheap.

Latherability: Super. I'm very pleased with its water retention, whereas 3 good shakes gets it almost completely dry for storage. Holds enough lather for 4.5 passes at least.

Etc: I can't explain what a great value this brush is -- as someone who originally shyed away from plunking down well over $50 for a quality brush for my first weeks at wetshaving, this was a purchase I couldn't be happier with. Eventually, I expect I'll graduate to a more expensive, higher quality brush, but I don't forsee getting rid of my C&E.

The brush comes packaged in an plain-yet-attractive blue C&E box. Don't expect the sales associates at C&E to be of much help -- my particular store didn't stock them on the shelf with the rest of the shaving equipment, and the saleswoman that helped me pulled out the wrong box from the cupboard twice.

Dimensions:
  • Width at widest point: 8cm
  • Height of bristles: 5.25cm
  • Height of base: 4.6cm
  • Overall height: 9.85cm
  • Width of base at foot: 3cm
  • Width of base at widest point: 3.2cm
  • Width of base at narrowest point: 2.2cm
  • Width of base at top (at knot): 2.5cm
  • Width of knot at bottom (at base): 2.3cm
Markings:
  • Base, front: C&E tree logo
  • Base, obverse: "Best Badger, Handmade, England"
  • Base, foot: "Crabtree & Evelyn; Exclusive design by: Edwin Jagger, Sheffield, England"
Price: $35.00

proxy.php

Above: Base, side 1

proxy.php

Above: base, side 2

proxy.php

Above: base, foot (brush in mug)

proxy.php

Above: Brush, filled with water

proxy.php

Above: Brush, filled with lather

proxy.php

Above: squeezing out lather

Verdict: Awesome brush for $35. I couldn't be happier. As I said before, I'll likely "graduate" at some point to a higher tier brush for my daily use, but not because I'm dissatisfied with this C&E. Perfect brush for the first-timer, or just someone who'd rather spend their extra dough on trying different creams rather than hardware.

Latest reviews

Pros: affordable quality
Cons: none so far
I'd been using a "pure badger" and boar bristles up until this. I was at first unhappy that this was so much softer than the brushes I had used. However, after a few shaves I no longer miss the abrasive feel of boar bristles and have embraced the smooth feel of quality badger. I don't think I'll ever have the kind of money to afford the really high end brushes, maybe some day I will. Until then, this does me just fine. It lathers incredibly well and has a mighty good sized knot.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Cost.
Cons: Size. Stiffness.
I echo what everyone else has said. For the price, this thing is a gem. In fact, I am thinking of buying a couple more just to stash them away should C&E stop carrying this thing. I doubt there will be this good of a bargain on a brush once C&E stops carrying it.

I bought this brush before I knew what EJ brushes were. Now I have come to realize they are my favorite type of brush. Every time I use this brush and see the Sheffield, England stamp on it, I think about the quality I got, without even knowing it. I am glad this is a product you see recommended so highly here and other places for first time users of a badger. Although, as has been said, it is a brush for anyone, not just beginners.

Yes it is small, and yes the hairs don't feel as good as a silvertip would or produce lather as easily, but its $35, most badgers in that price range aren't half the quality of this one. Once you have a few brushes you begin to realize the quality of the build you got with this one. It is solidly put together and feels so in the hand.

I read all the reviews, and they were all positive save one. Maybe that person got a bad one, but trust the other reviews. If you are looking for your first brush, look no further.

The fact that it comes with a travel container is a nice plus. That would be another $8 or so if you had to purchase it separately, adding even more to the value. When I purchased my EJ silvertip it came in a carboard tube and I paid 5x's more.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Cons: Shedding
Crabtree and Evelyn Edwin Jagger Pure Badger made in England is a travel brush. Other than the great screwtop carrier this brush is awful. I travel a lot and this brush travels well but I expect from day one for a year to have lots of hair come out on each shave. I foolishly have had three of these brushes. I like their soaps but I would never recommend their brush. In addition they have terrible customer service for issues. They don’t care what you think once their product is out the door.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)