What's new

Corn Husker's Lotion

Crag;157242 said:
My dad makes a sort of AS Milk with this stuff...I used to think he was crazy...me with my Drakkar Balm and him with this stuff...actually his formula works WAY better than mine. He adds 1/2oz lavender lotion to a 3oz shaker bottle and adds the rest of the Cornhuskers, and just shakes it up...It makes you smell great, but isn't overpowering...

I started using CHL after my shave at night and then Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Post Shave Lotion in the morning. I didn't mind the slight lemony scent and like others have said the smell dissapates soon after you put it on.

After reading this tip I mixed CHL with some Pinaud classic vanilla AS and I love it. I get all the pro's of CHL along with the subtle hint of vanilla.

However, I'm wondering if anyone else had their concoction turn a little lumpy?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Corn Huskers Lotion is a great multi-use product. I originally purchased it as a moisturizer for dry hands and it does a great job. But, as with others, I find that it does not last as long as other moisturizers. You don't need very much of this stuff for application.

The smell...is ok, but not ideal. Smells kind of like baby powder. Not my ideal smell. The smell does not last very long though.

As time has gone on, I've started using it for other things like aftershave. A little bit after a splash of Witch Hazel does the trick. I've also heard you can use it as a pre-shave...haven't tried it yet, but I think I might.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I grew up with this stuff for hands, knees and elbows. I have even used it as a face protector when hunting in the cold and wind. But never for shaving. Thanks I will have to add it my rotation :smile:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizes great. The scent is kind of nice, in that it smells old-timey to me. Sadly, it's the grandma who baked cookies for you old-timey smell, rather than the grandpa who fought in the War and one time shaved with a straight in the trenches with bombs exploding overhead old-timey smell. But it still reminds me of a simpler time, so is not bad. The scent doesn't go away too easily (maybe I just use too much) though.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I just love all the effective and inexpensive products that I have discovered via this site!
The corn huskers lotion and witch hazel have got to be 2 of the best for the price I have found so far. After shaving and a cold water rinse I do a good splash of witch hazel to close up the pores.
I haven't gone as far as mixing CHL in a bottle as others have mentioned though I may try it as I find the CHL a bit thick. I just put the smallest dab of CHL in my palm and a splash of Aqua Velva on top of that, rub my hands together and then massage the mix into my face and neck.
I think the AV helps to get the CHL to absorb into my face and everything dries to a nice smooth non-tacky matte finish.
When I get some more aftershaves I will likely try the same with them. I have tried the CHL alone as a hand lotion and find very little in the way of scent, just a hint of a baby powder smell. Overall this is an inexpensive product everyone should try at least once.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I, too, wish I had known about this product a year ago. So much irritation could have been avoided....

Now that cooler weather is approaching, dryness begins to crawl around my face. Corn Husker's solves this issue.

I use it as a pre-shave balm and a finishing balm as this is where the majority of my irritation has come from in the past.

I cannot wait to mix up my own AS balm with this stuff. Thanks everyone for the great ideas/suggestions!
You can't not like the price of this stuff. It can be picked up for under $4 most places, and often times for under $3.

The stuff is a real gem for both the face and the hands. Only a very small amount is needed on the face, and after a rough shave she really saves the day. Also a great base for home-made aftershave concoctions.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I added 20 drops of grapefruit seed oil (antiseptic properties) and 60 drops lime oil (*almost* displaces the powdered wig original scent), and have been using this mix as a aftershave balm, a la skin food. It works incredibly well, and you need only the smallest amount... this bottle should last for years at this rate!

When used after a post-shave alum block, it really shines. Soothes any irritation you might have, and makes your face feel like you didn't shave, but miraculously, your skin is shave-smooth, as if it accelerates the healing process post shave.

If I could get CHL in unscented variety, this would be rated even higher, but I like the fact that this hidden gem is exactly that!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
For a few bucks, you can't beat it. Not too fond of the scent, but thankfully it's so light that it fades almost immediately. I use it mostly for pre-shave, and save the more expensive stuff like Trumper's Lime Skin Food, etc., for post-shave. Occasionally I might blend the two together post-shave just to stretch my doller.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Just to start off, Im not a huge fan of the scent. It's kind of a cherry/medicine cough syrup scent. But thats where the downfalls stop. This stuff is amazing!:w00t:. It's very light and moisturizes without leaving my face feeling oily. Because of the less than ideal scent, i made an aftershave balm using aloe gel, aqua velva, witch hazel, and some pre-shave oil. The balm worked great after my last few shaves and definitely helped with the scent.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I mix this with aloe vera, another inexpensive product at the bottom shelf, and thin the mixture down with Thayer's. Very effective, and no oily residue.

Whatever scent left is fleeting. As mentioned above, you can also add your favorite scent everytime you mix up a batch. My squeeze bottle currently has a few drops of eucalyptus.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Awesome stuff, for pure utility vs. cost, you can not get any better. Been using this stuff since I was 12 after seeing my grandpa put it on every morning for the better part of his life. If you haven't used it, go ahead and splurge 3 bucks at Wal-Mart, bottom shelf with the rest of the good stuff :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I do what many others do here. I mix it with some witch hazel and rose water and it smells very very nice. If I ever get tired of the "fresh from barber" smell I can add a few drops of my favorite cologne and the Husker's scent will not interfere at all except to dilute the cologne. I love a good, inexpensive product. :biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Crag;157242 said:
My dad makes a sort of AS Milk with this stuff...I used to think he was crazy...me with my Drakkar Balm and him with this stuff...actually his formula works WAY better than mine. He adds 1/2oz lavender lotion to a 3oz shaker bottle and adds the rest of the Cornhuskers, and just shakes it up...It makes you smell great, but isn't overpowering...
QUOTE]

I bought a bottle yesterday and love it. I have combination skin so this oil free stuff works great! I do not mind the scent, but I do love Bay Rum. So I mixed 1 part Pinaud Bay Rum to 5 parts Corn Huskers in a squeeze bottle. I use a dime size amount as an after shave balm. I have also mixed a batch using Aqua Velva. Both seem to work great for me.

Thanks for the tip!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I use Corn Husker's Lotion a lot, both on my face and my hands. Count me as another one who likes everything about it except the scent, which just seems to me like the cheapest old-lady floral thing I can imagine. If I have scraped my skin from shaving, it works wonders.

Tim
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I would never have tried a product named "Corn Huskers Lotion" if I had not seen recommendations for it on this forum. It is now an indispensable part of my shaving routine. When I first put some on my razor-burned face, it just felt good. Now, I use it as a pre-shave before I lather up for each pass. Then, after I splash on after-shave, usually Aqua Velva, I rub a little dab of CHL on my face for good measure. My face feels great for the rest of the day! This stuff fights razor-burn like nobody's business. I've tried the Proraso Pre-Post, but this stuff works much better for me, and doesn't smell like Noxzema. I ding it for the smell, which is nothing special, but doesn't bother me. It has no menthol cooling effect. CHL really improves my shaves! Try it! :thumbup:

Norm :boat:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)

My Dad came to the US in 1952 from Cuba. In Cuba he was a Barbero, or Barber, so I think now that he probably always knew what he was doing...

Funny how the older I get the smarter he gets...I think he was always smart, I was the dumb one.

I never thought to post it because i didn't think you would believe it...lol...guess I'm still dumb!:biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This stuff is cheap and effective, though the scent took me some time to get used to. Not really a bad smell, just not my favorite. The scent doesn't last long at all. For the price, it is well worth a try. Maybe it can become your night lotion, with something with a nicer scent as your day AS.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
After using it on my hands for so long, I used this to replace Neutragena's After shave Lotion (Razor Defense) and the Corn did the job much better at such a better price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Lousy Scent. Smells like lemon moth balls to my nose.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)