What's new

Copper Hat Silvertip

I won this brush in a newbie giveaway on a different shaving forum site. I tried not to let the fact that it was free influence my ratings, and I used it for over a month before reviewing it. I used it in rotation with a custom Shavemac silvertip and a Rooney super badger.

Generally it is an excellent brush. When dry, the tips feel a little coarse, but they are soft when wet. It lost only 3 hairs, just after the tenth use. It does not really have a solid backbone and is probably better for creams than soaps. It is just firm enough to not be floppy. The olivewood handle is beautiful, a dark reddish wood that has become even glossier with use. It has a crack running the full length, but this just adds to its unique quality.

The balance is pretty good, although the shortness of the handle detracts somewhat. The handle is 40mm in length, while the loft is 53 mm. The handle style is most similar to what is called Hoodoo on the manufacturer's site.

The knot is 22mm. The brush's density is medium, slightly less than my Shavemac custom silvertip and less than my Rooney super badger.

The custom wood handle definitely adds to the luxury factor, although this is counterbalanced by the short handle. The bloom is large, soft, and springy, and it feels great on the face.

Ease of lathering was good, although slightly less efficient than either of the other brushes I mentioned. It has excellent water retention. It probably would be best for face lathering, although it worked well in my scuttle with better quality creams such as AOS and TOBS.

Clearly the best aspect of this brush is its price (which, on the site, run $55-65). While its quality is in the same general class as the other brushes, its price is much less, making it a great bargain.

Brad Julicher, the owner of Copper Hat in Victoria, B.C., Canada, has been very friendly and helpful. I would very highly recommend this brush for anyone's collection. Check out their site at www.thecopperhat.ca.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)