What's new

Colgate shaving soap

Smells, bad, lathers poorly, and irritated my skin. The only positive was that it was cheap. However, bath soap does work better. Seriously. I tried lathering up a DOVE bar and got a more lasting, and effective lather. So I gave it a "3" on price, because, compared to other drugstore bath soaps, it's actually not that cheap per ounce.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
I used this all my life as far as DE shaving goes.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
Cool looking box though :biggrin:
D
I have just begun to delve into DE shaving and have been pleasantly surprised thus far by how great of a shave can be had. After 3 or 4 shaves, i found the sweet spot on my Weishi razor, and have only had a few nicks from the Derby Extra blades that are supposedly sharp. That was until I used this Colgate mug soap.

To start, it had no smell to speak of. After wetting it to soften it up a bit (thought it may help based on what the other reviews have said). Still very little lather that disappeared quickly off my chin and left a sticky residue. After 3 applications, I had a pretty close shave, similar to what I got with my old soap after 2 apps. The thing is, my old soap was Dr. Bronners 18 in 1 peppermint soap, which I also use for shampoo, bodywash, brushing my teeth from time to time, and occasionally for dishes, and general cleaning. I also managed about 10 nicks where I would only get 1 or 2 with Dr. Bronners. Dr. B's also moisturized my skin unlike Colgate which dries it out.

Don't waste your money
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
:thumbdown Phooey! Rubbish! The worst I have used in 50+ years of shaving.
I tried this stuff years ago when it was available at Walgreen. I had a allergic reaction to it and my face turned red and puffy. Not a good smell or a decent lather for a shave either. Worthless.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Doc Mottern;103605 said:
uggggggggggggggg

its in the drug store yes.........but get williams its the same price and 10 times better

Couldn't have said it better Doc.
Makes you wonder if they ever test their products. And in many, many parts of the country it's the only product available for someone who might want to try wet shaving. Can you say 'discouraging'?
I used this for many years interchangeably with Williams and the only good thing I can say about this is it did not kill me. Total crap!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
I know that somewhere in the far distant past I tried it and was unimpressed.
D
uggggggggggggggg

its in the drug store yes.........but get williams its the same price and 10 times better
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
I sincerely hope and pray I'm not offending anyone with this review, but this is the most worthless, waste of money I ever had except to say that it's very cheap. I think bath soap would perform better than Colgate.

Jeff
Top Bottom