What's new

Col. Conk Shaving Mug

Item Description

I just received my Col. Conk Shaving Mug today. I couldn't wait to try it out, and here are my thoughts:

Price: It cost me $26 Cdn, which I'd say is a fair price price for this specialty mug.

Quality/durability: The ceramic mug is a little on the thin side, so I'm a slightly concerned about it's long term durability. If you drop it, it's going to break. Like any piece of pottery, it's not exactly symmetrical, but the lines are clean and I doubt anybody would have any complaints about its looks. The glazing is even, and I don't see any cosmetic flaws. I wish it came in black though... You can see the lather you're building in the white version however, so don't worry that you won't be able to tell how it's going.

Performance/usefulness: Well, if you're thinking this would be a cheap alternative to a scuttle, you'd be wrong. It's not a scuttle and it isn't billed as a scuttle. It's a shaving mug. Pouring hot tap water into the mug does not produce warm lather. That being said, how does it perform as a shaving mug? Great! It's a welcome tool. You can stand your brush in the resevoir on the left so it can soak while you're performing your preshave routine. It doesn't slide around. The soap sitting in the soap dish gets nicely softened from the warm water/steam, and will produce a much thicker lather faster and much more luxurious than you're used to. I have two pucks of edwin jagger shaving soap- one in this mug, one in a bowl. The one in the shaving mug hands down produces a better lather. No doubts about it. I was very surprised. One fear I had about this mug was that the soap would spin around when you are building your lather. Initially, it did- but within a minute or so the soap locked into the perforations and didn't budge again.

Packaging: It's comes in a thin brown cardboard box with a little sticker on the top. Pretty unimaginative, but you throw the packaging away anyways so no big deal. If you think that packaging is important, you won't care for it.

Overall impressions: I'm a little let down that I can't get warm lather out of this thing, however I am impressed with how functional it truly is. It's very spartan, but it does it's job well. It helps produce a better lather, holds my brush upright in hot water while I'm getting ready (rather than floating in the sink), and when I'm done, it functions as a brush stand. There's even enough room to put your DE razor in there if you wanted to. A no frills, very useful tool. I'm glad I spent the $26 bones on it.

Specifications:
water capacity (water stopped just below perforations):-12oz/350ish mls

soap capacity- holds the normal 2.5" size soaps easily with only a slight gap between it and the side of the resevoir. My edwin jagger soap rises up very slightly above the top of the lip of the mug.

size:- 5 1/8" * 3 1/2" * 3 1/4", 13x9x7.5cm. Not too big- doesn't take up much room, doesn't feel cramped to use.

Latest reviews

Intersting. I have the Santa Fe bowl which is nice.
I just received my Col. Conk Shaving Mug today. I couldn't wait to try it out, and here are my thoughts:

Price: It cost me $26 Cdn, which I'd say is a fair price price for this specialty mug.

Quality/durability: The ceramic mug is a little on the thin side, so I'm a slightly concerned about it's long term durability. If you drop it, it's going to break. Like any piece of pottery, it's not exactly symmetrical, but the lines are clean and I doubt anybody would have any complaints about its looks. The glazing is even, and I don't see any cosmetic flaws. I wish it came in black though... You can see the lather you're building in the white version however, so don't worry that you won't be able to tell how it's going.

Performance/usefulness: Well, if you're thinking this would be a cheap alternative to a scuttle, you'd be wrong. It's not a scuttle and it isn't billed as a scuttle. It's a shaving mug. Pouring hot tap water into the mug does not produce warm lather. That being said, how does it perform as a shaving mug? Great! It's a welcome tool. You can stand your brush in the resevoir on the left so it can soak while you're performing your preshave routine. It doesn't slide around. The soap sitting in the soap dish gets nicely softened from the warm water/steam, and will produce a much thicker lather faster and much more luxurious than you're used to. I have two pucks of edwin jagger shaving soap- one in this mug, one in a bowl. The one in the shaving mug hands down produces a better lather. No doubts about it. I was very surprised. One fear I had about this mug was that the soap would spin around when you are building your lather. Initially, it did- but within a minute or so the soap locked into the perforations and didn't budge again.

Packaging: It's comes in a thin brown cardboard box with a little sticker on the top. Pretty unimaginative, but you throw the packaging away anyways so no big deal. If you think that packaging is important, you won't care for it.

Overall impressions: I'm a little let down that I can't get warm lather out of this thing, however I am impressed with how functional it truly is. It's very spartan, but it does it's job well. It helps produce a better lather, holds my brush upright in hot water while I'm getting ready (rather than floating in the sink), and when I'm done, it functions as a brush stand. There's even enough room to put your DE razor in there if you wanted to. A no frills, very useful tool. I'm glad I spent the $26 bones on it.

Specifications:
water capacity (water stopped just below perforations):-12oz/350ish mls

soap capacity- holds the normal 2.5" size soaps easily with only a slight gap between it and the side of the resevoir. My edwin jagger soap rises up very slightly above the top of the lip of the mug.

size:- 5 1/8" * 3 1/2" * 3 1/4", 13x9x7.5cm. Not too big- doesn't take up much room, doesn't feel cramped to use.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
3.00 star(s)