What's new

Col. Conk Pure Badger Brush

Paul;481495 said:
This is the first brush I had ever purchased. I'm not sure who actually manufactures the brush, but it carries the Col. Conk brand.

Price- At about $50, I'd say this is a decent middle of the road brush. Having to do it again, I would look at others, but being my first brush I wanted to be able to feel it, and a local store carried this one.

Quality- Again, good, maybe better than average. The brush has lost few hairs, does a good job with lathering (I generally use cream), and has a comfortable and ergonomic handle.

Density- Decent. You can get better density elsewhere, but the knot is sufficient to get a good result.

Stiffness of tips- Not floppy, but not stiff either. Strictly middle of the road.

Softness of tips- A little less than soft, but how soft do you expect to get for under $100?

Ergonomic- I really enjoy the handle and bulb of the brush. While the material of the handle is not unique, I do enjoy the shape. I use a porcelain 'lions head' bowl (french cooking), which has a lip that comes in slightly. The shape of this handle really lets me whip around the inside of the bowl, getting a nice thick lather. It is also very easy to manipulate when using on my face.

Latherability- Like I said, it does a good job. It usually takes me about a minute to get the lather to where I like it (using AOS or Truefitt cream).

Overall, this is a decent brush for the $, which is relative as the new B&B brush has not been released yet.
I also have a Col Conk brush. Mine is a blend of badger and bristle which provides a nice texture - not too soft & not too stiff. They are manufactured by Vulfix.
This is the first badger brush I bought. I got it for 24.95 from http://bestgroomingtools.com/ and the sight says it is made by vulfix. It shed a couple of hairs during the first use and none sense. It has worked well producing a good lather with my TOBS creams for me, and fits well in my scuttle spout. The handle is molded as opposed to turned so it doesn't have as nice a feel in the hand as some others might, but for the price it is well worth it, and will likely keep a place in my travel kit when I upgrade.
I have this brush, and I've used it on and off. I'm ordering a "Best" grade brush now. This brush seems to do the job. No complaints.
I bought this brush from a cigar shop for about $35. It has worked out quite nicely as an entry-level brush. I find that as I gain confidence in my technique, the brush gets a bit floppy and can't quite keep up with my quickly advancing lathering skills. I'll give it a go for a while more, kick it to the dopp kit and upgrade to a Vulvix.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
1.00 star(s)
I use this as my travel brush for past 4 months. very soft but not as good as my stay at home Omega Silvertip. For the money well worth it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
0.00 star(s)
This is the first brush I had ever purchased. I'm not sure who actually manufactures the brush, but it carries the Col. Conk brand.

Price- At about $50, I'd say this is a decent middle of the road brush. Having to do it again, I would look at others, but being my first brush I wanted to be able to feel it, and a local store carried this one.

Quality- Again, good, maybe better than average. The brush has lost few hairs, does a good job with lathering (I generally use cream), and has a comfortable and ergonomic handle.

Density- Decent. You can get better density elsewhere, but the knot is sufficient to get a good result.

Stiffness of tips- Not floppy, but not stiff either. Strictly middle of the road.

Softness of tips- A little less than soft, but how soft do you expect to get for under $100?

Ergonomic- I really enjoy the handle and bulb of the brush. While the material of the handle is not unique, I do enjoy the shape. I use a porcelain 'lions head' bowl (french cooking), which has a lip that comes in slightly. The shape of this handle really lets me whip around the inside of the bowl, getting a nice thick lather. It is also very easy to manipulate when using on my face.

Latherability- Like I said, it does a good job. It usually takes me about a minute to get the lather to where I like it (using AOS or Truefitt cream).

Overall, this is a decent brush for the $, which is relative as the new B&B brush has not been released yet.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)