What's new

Col. Conk Amber

Pros: Provides BBS shave, nice clean scent, very affordable.
Consistently provides a BBS, nick and razor burn free shave. The scent reminds me of the old time barber shops of days gone by. Has a very nice lather from a properly moistened badger brush. Really like it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, performance
The price is crazy reasonable and i think that this and the almont perform almost as well as the much loved Razorock XXX. Outstanding performer for the price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, slick lather, great for superlather
Cons: Scent is very mild
Price: It doesn't get much cheaper, unless it's called WilliamsQuality: When you get the lather right, this is quite a slick soap. Very easy to melt into your shaving mug of choiceScent: I like scents that have some staying power, this one is very mild and goes away as you are latheringLather: It makes slick lather and my main reason for this soap is superlather. I mix it with a little AOS Sandalwood cream and it is amazing! I have used it by itself and it was slick enoughMoisturizing: It surprises me that others have trouble with Glycerin soaps drying them out because I find glycerin soaps keep me moisturized, but I also use Thayer's witch hazel with aloe after every shave. I definitely recommend this product and don't know why the other Conk soaps are generally more expensive.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: pleasant and relaxing scent, easy to lather
Cons: irritated my face like no other
I was looking forward to using this soap after all the great reviews here, but something in it just did not agree with my face. After two shaves, my skin became extremely irritated, dried out, and would have flaked off had I not used copious amounts of moisturizer. So it's sitting on the shelf and will continue to do so.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
Received a free puck of this with the purchase of a Colonel Conk shaving bowl.

I have tried Conk Bay Rum soap so my review is there.

Amber smells, feels, and looks just like a bar of Nutrogena (spelling?) soap.
I would agree with those above who praise this soap for its reasonable price and easy lather. You will need to pour a thin film of water over the top of the soap to let it soak for one or two minutes, but after this, building lather becomes quite easy, which lasts reasonably well on my face, and quite well in my scuttle -- a slightly better performer than the almond in this regard. Lubricity should be acceptable to all, if not outstanding; the soap is also slightly drying, but no worse than most.

I dinged the soap slightly for its scent. Some mornings I like it, other times it just smells cheap . . . pick it up in a store, if you can, and make up your own mind.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I really like this soap, it was my only soap for a long time, and it's still a go-to soap for me. It's dirt cheap, good quality, has a mild but pleasant scent, lathers up well, etc.

It's an excellent choice for an inexpensive but effective soap.
I was thoroughly impressed with this soap! My gosh do I love this stuff.

Price: What can i say, at under 4 dollars a puck this soap can replace whatever you use currently to great effects at a cheaper price.

Quality: Iv'e tried Williams for a week before with lackluster effect, and iv'e tried Tabac soap with very good effect. But this trumps my tabac for me. This is some great stuff!

Scent: Love it! The scent is perfect for a gentlemen who doesn't want to attract too much attention. It has a sweet and spiced kind of smell in my opinion. I gave it an 8 only because I wish it was little more powerful. It is a pretty subtle scent.

Lather: Like others said, it has a tendency to begin making lather right on the puck, but this was not an issue for me. Swirled it around for about 10 seconds, face lathered and it delivered some great lather, not too dry, not too wet. Just perfect in my eye.

Efficacy: This stuff gave me a BBS shave on the first use! Without me ever using col. conks before in my life.

Moisturizing: Had no problems. Left my face feeling very smooth and soft to the touch. Especially since it is the wintertime at the time of this post, it works fantastic.

Overall thoughts:
MUST TRY OTHER CONK SOAPS! I will buy more of this stuff when i run out. This is my first review on this site and i think this stuff deserves it.:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This soap is truly a staple. Solid performer and inexpensive. Consistent shaves with a unique scent.

Price: About 2.50 for a puck which will last about a month and a half to two months is a value in my book

Quality: A little dificult to get out of the package sometimes, but well worth it.

Scent: Hard to describe- I would say it smells like generic neutorgena glycerine soap. Very subtle and it fades quickly after lathering. If scent is the key factor in your soap happiness, you may be disappointed by this soap.

Lather: After a 15 second swirl with a slightly damp brush, I face lather this soap. I find that it provides enough for a 3 pass shave and touch ups with lather to spare. The lather retains the structure and moisture on my face if I need to step away from the sink for a minute. It does not fall flat quickly. Will work well in combination with a cream (Proraso) to make a "superlather"

Efficacy: This soap is quite slick and mildly cushiony. Provides an excelent glide while not being too dense.

Moisturizing: The soap contains avacado oil and vitamin E. Does not leave face feeling dry, nor does it feel overly moisturized. I use WH and Clubman after, and do not have a dry face and I have combination skin.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Tried this after reading the reviews and found that it gave a less than satisfying lather, dried quickly and could get no more than 2 passes of thin lather.

Brought cheap Boots soap after and couldn't believe the difference - tons of thick creamy lather.

Scent nice and fairly moisturing but better and cheaper out there.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
Price: The high point of this item.

Quality: This is an OK product, but I would never buy it again.

Scent: I don't like this scent. It seems too fake smelling and there's something about it that just strikes me the wrong way.

Lather: Poor to medium at best.

Efficacy: Meh.

Moisturizing: It neither moisturizes nor dries my face, so 5.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Price: Good value.
Quality: Not the best, not the worst, middle of the road. Packaging is cheap and the round had some minor who cares for the price imperfections.
Scent::Yawn: Clean but very boring.
Lather: This produced decent lather for me, worst of the other types of conks IMHO.
Efficacy: This stuff is slick. Razor glides right through.
Moisturizing: What you'd expect from a glycerin round.

Bottom Line: It works but leaves a lot to be desired. Its cheap cost, great slickness, and weak scent makes a good soap for super lather.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price
Price is very decent for a good grade soap

Quality
Great quality. Does not dissolve too fast, and lasts quite a long time.

Scent
The amber scent is quite pleasant and not over powering. For those who dont like strong scents, this does the job nicely

Lather
Lathers great. Was able to produce rich creamy lather in seconds.

Efficacy
Had issues with the lack of lubrication with this soap. I have used all kinds of soaps, and was a little disappointed in the lack of the smooth glide I am normally accustomed to.

Moisturizing
Not the best moisturizing soap, but works well to shave with.

In the end, I will stick to proraso, seems to be the best for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
At this point in time I have been wet shaving for 3 months. In those three months I have purchased 2 honeybee soaps, Almond Caswell-Massey, and Tabac. I recently purchased Col. Conk Amber for $2.95 plus tax. I figured I couldn't go wrong with that price and I occasionally see a posting on Col Conk soaps. I was expecting it to be better than the Caswell-Massey, almost as good as my Honeybee, and nowhere near the Tabac (in lather, cushion, closeness of shave).

Boy was I wrong! :w00t:This soap is 10x better than the Caswell-Massey. It gave me a better shave with more lather than the honeybee soaps. Also it didn't produce a stinging effect that the honeybee soaps do to me. This soap is much closer to my tabac. My lather wasn't as thick and cushiony as the Tabac but not far behind. I never new I can get such a great lather from a glycerine soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
An inexpensive, but so-so soap. Does not lather particularly well, especially with softened water. The lather is more soapy, rather than creamy (like the high-end brands). Moisturizing is marginal.

OK if you want a utilitarian one-pass shave like gramps used to tolerate. NOT for pampering yourself.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Cheap, easy and WAAAY SLICK!

This is perfect for charging your brush to make superlather or using it straight by itself. A regular in my rotation.

When I use it by itself, it takes a little longer to build lather...but way worth it and soooooo slick!

When I use it to build superlather, the mild scent doesn't cover up whatever more expensive lather I'm using (TOBS, TGQ etc). This stuff plain rocks for the price!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pretty decent shave soap or the money--very inexpensive. Makes good lather with a bit of effort, but other soaps lather better. Decent fragrance as well.What's not to like?

Not a top tier soap, but not sold at a top tier price. Overall, a good value. Good beginner soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I got the small size and it lasted me about 2 months. It kept my face safe and was cheap, but I was not really impressed. In order to get a good lather I have to build it on my face - which is fine - but I would like to be able to lather in a bowl if I prefer. The scent is mild and nice. If you have sensitive skin it probably won't bother you. Compared to Williams it is a big step up, but compared to T&H it sucks. Maybe its a happy medium for some, and its definitely a good one to get started on, but I won't be buying any more. :001_smile
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Nice whopper sized puck at a reasonable price. Great lather, the lather is thick and slick if you work at it just a bit. The scent is not bad, the lather's scent is better than the the soaps for some reason though. This is well worth keeping in the rotation as an inexpensive, yet reliable "go to" soap. But perhaps the best thing about shaving with this soap is admiring that dapper Col. Conk guy on the packaging and being reminded of the long history of wet shaving!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I second the comment that a bar of Col Conk and a tube of Proraso should be in everyone's starter kit. In fact, I think Col. Conk's Amber should be your first soap (skip the Williams) because you'll have pretty good luck lathering and protecting your face during those early DE shaves with the Conk.

Amber is my favorite of the Conks - excellent moisturizing, close shave, a little will go a long way once you learn how to lather soap properly. Has a nice clean "barbershop" scent that is not overpowering. Save the plastic packaging to make this soap a great travel companion.

Once you outgrow the Conk and move on to other soaps and creams, you'll have fond memories of this no-nonsense product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)