What's new

Col. Conk Amber

Item Description

I am really surprised that no one has sat down to write a review of this product yet. Perhaps because it's so well known to most of the members there really is no reason for review. But, here goes.....

I don't think I need to talk about the price extensively as it's generally agreed upon that Col. Conk is a great value at $3.50 a puck.

Quality...all the Conk soaps I've had have been of great quality, and perform well above their price.

I love the Amber scent. I like Bayrum and Almond as well, but for my nose the other two smell a bit too "medicine-ish." The amber has a nice smooth, understated scent which makes it a pleasure to shave with.

It took me awhile to produce a good lather with the Colonel Conk soaps. Yes, they lather easily, but almost too easily. I place hot water on top of my soap (as recommended by a thread here at the B&B) and then dump this into my shaving bowl. I have to be sure that all of the water is gone or the brush will start making lather right on the soap. Also, I have to be sure to shake all of the excess water out of my brush or, again, the lather starts being produced right on the soap rather than loading into my brush. When I am loading my brush and the top of the soap is nice and tacky I know it's loading properly. Because the brush and soap are relatively dry when I load the brush the water has to be re-added in my bowl. Don't be stingy with the water at this point! This process has created great lathers for me, and in turn, great shaves providing lots of cushion and slide.

I love this soap, and can't wait for its turn to come up again in my soap rotation.

Latest reviews

Pros: Provides BBS shave, nice clean scent, very affordable.
Consistently provides a BBS, nick and razor burn free shave. The scent reminds me of the old time barber shops of days gone by. Has a very nice lather from a properly moistened badger brush. Really like it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, performance
The price is crazy reasonable and i think that this and the almont perform almost as well as the much loved Razorock XXX. Outstanding performer for the price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, slick lather, great for superlather
Cons: Scent is very mild
Price: It doesn't get much cheaper, unless it's called WilliamsQuality: When you get the lather right, this is quite a slick soap. Very easy to melt into your shaving mug of choiceScent: I like scents that have some staying power, this one is very mild and goes away as you are latheringLather: It makes slick lather and my main reason for this soap is superlather. I mix it with a little AOS Sandalwood cream and it is amazing! I have used it by itself and it was slick enoughMoisturizing: It surprises me that others have trouble with Glycerin soaps drying them out because I find glycerin soaps keep me moisturized, but I also use Thayer's witch hazel with aloe after every shave. I definitely recommend this product and don't know why the other Conk soaps are generally more expensive.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)