What's new

Cobra Classic razor from ClassicShaving

Item Description

I have been using this razor daily for almost three weeks. Since my "go-to" razor has been a Mercur Slant 37C with Feather blades, I had no trouble remembering to use a gentle stroke and letting the razor do all the work.

The razor has a comfortable weight - it's heavy, but not unbalanced. The handle is knurled and has indents for gripping, so it's easy to hold.

The blade is unusually wide; however, after a couple of minutes of use, it doesn't seem ungainly.

I use my normal combination of B&B 2006 Finest Silvertip brush and Haslinger Sandalwood shaving soap. I was initially concerned about the agressiveness of the blade, so my first shaves were with the Feather ProGuard blade, rather than the Feather Professionals that were shipped with the razor.

My first impression? "Darn, that's loud!" The sound of the razor against the beard is many times noisier than it is with a "normal" safety razor shave.

The results? Excellent!

I use two passes - First, with the grain, and second across the grain. There just isn't any beard left to require a third pass.

Cuts, scrapes, nicks, etc.? I've had a few "weepers," but, overall, the results have been excellent.

After 14 shaves, I retired the original Feather Pro Guard blade, and switched to a Feather Professional. After four shaves with the Professional, the results seem to be the same as with the Pro Guard.

The razor is a little pricey, at $125 (including a pack of 20 Feather Professionals and a blade bank); however, it is a solid and exceptionally well-made (made in the U.S.A., by the way) piece of equipment.

Discuss this razor HERE

Latest reviews

Pros: Great appearance, truly unique, excellent quality.
Cons: Aggressive. Its also quite aggressive.
There's nothing boring, or ordinary, about the Cobra Classic. It's the most unique razor I've ever used. I have an impressive collection of high-end razors, and all of them are easier to use, but none of them are a more interesting experience. It's not like any other razor out there. Practice with it, adjust to it, and you can be rewarded with an incredibly close shave, fail to respect it, and you'll pay. Its not the razor I reach for most often by a long shot, but it would be one of the last I would part with.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Super smooth, super efficient
Cons: Price
I'm about 10 shaves into this razor. #1 overall razor. Fantastically smooth and efficient, if I want to guarantee myself a great irritation free shave, this is the one I reach for. Its hard to use anything else, this things shaves as good as I'd hoped and more.

I found the Feather Pro's to work the best for me, better than the Kai milds. But both blades are good. Its a bit overpriced, especially for a non-stainless razor, but its performance has left me with no regrets on my purchase. The blade replacement mechanism is a bit clumsy, and I worry that the spring will wear out and the blade holder will get loose, but only time will tell. The only problem I have with the grip is that it can get slippery when wet, I have no other problems holding the razor for any of my passes anywhere on my face. The razor is aggressive in that it will mow down a whole lot of hair with very little effort, but is incredibly smooth and gentle on my face.a well balanced, fantastic shaving tool that I hope lasts me forever.

If the upcoming Huntlee Katana doesn't live up to the Cobra, I may have to get a replacement Cobra Classic.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Weihht, balance, effectiveness, efficiency
Cons: Big head, grip could be better, hard to set blade properly
Blade guards are small and it takes some pushing and prodding to get the blade set properly. The weight of the razor is good, but the shiny back part of the handle makes grip a challenge for me, especially at funny angles.

Despite the above, the shaves from this tool were superb, some of the best I've gotten. Audio feedback is more like a non injector se like a Gem Micromatic than a DE, and the feedback is quite helpful in adjusting pressure and blade angle. If I had this razor longer I'm sure I could dial in a two pass bbs. As a head shaver, the Cobra excels. The large razor head makes quick work of my scalp with just one wtg pass.

I give this an 8 overall but with just a few design tweaks to the grip and to make blade seating in the guards easier this razor would be a ten.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)