What's new

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Pros: Cheap cost
Cons: Smells like cheap drugstore aftershave
I decided to try this when I was getting low on my Master bay rum bottle since Sally's doesn't seem to have Master anymore.

If this is the first bay rum you ever try maybe you would like it. After using something like Master bay rum(with the natural bay leaf oil and alcohol) this will smell like artificial chemicals.

I decided to try this since so many people give it rave reviews but I have to wonder if the formula has been changed since those days years ago.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Pros: price
Cons: scent
I'm going to recommend this because, like the Veg, I believe one must be chosen for VIBR. I'm not. A splash of this scent and I smell like our Christmas ham roasting away. I suppose it would be a decent AS to wear when having a large holiday meal, but beyond that it's not for me. Like any Pinaud product, high quality is combined with low price.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Really nice spicy scent when it dies down. GREAT for the price.
Cons: Smells awful in the bottle.
I love this stuff. I paid $7.79 (plus shipping) for a 12 oz. bottle. Its labeled as a cologne, but I use it specifically as an aftershave. The price point is awesome - per ounce I can't imagine you can really find anything better. As far as the scent is concerned - I absolutely love it when it calms down. It is pretty foul from the bottle, but I never judge anything until its on and dry. The burn is pretty intense, but I prefer a strong burn. It tones my face and neck well, and I don't get any bumps or burn when I use this, as well as other Pinaud products. All in all I'll give this a high 8. I've said this before, but you don't have to break the bank to get a high quality product. Smell like a man!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is my second favorite AS in my rotation, it's a good winter AS because of the nice warming effect it has.:biggrin1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I simply can't fall in love with this aftershave. It's so overdone on the cloves smell, that the entire aftershave is ruined for me.

I decanted some into an empty glass Spieck bottle, and once that is gone, I will likely never buy it again.

For my dollar, Master Bay Rum (also locally available) is superior in every way. It simply smells about 1000X better than the Clubman Bay Rum.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Burns like a sumbitch! Doesn't moisturize much. Doesn't cool. Doesn't smell all that great to me. I like it better when I mix it 50/50 with Master Bay Rum and add some extra water and glycerin. Then it's great, but I still like master better.
It would be a great winter AS, it definitely has a warming effect. Not my favorite for summer.
That said, I won't be pouring mine down the sink. I like it enough mixed with Master that I'll keep it for a change of pace.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
D
It's decent stuff. I love the scent, but it doesn't linger on me... it lingers in my clothes though.

This stuff goes on with one hell of a great scent, and not much burning. It has the warmth of cassia though, no cooling sensation; this might be a better winter bay rum.

Works well for me, and the scent is a favorite; I wish it stayed in the air all day though, like Dominica.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Smells better on your skin than in the bottle. Spicy sort of "holiday" scent. Reminds me of a pfeffernus cookie.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
it seems funny I ordered this bay rum after reading these reviews, and now here i am adding my 2 cents :001_smile

I hesitated before I slapped on my handful of this stuff, wondering if I was about to relive the childhood 5-alarm burn I can remember from my dad's English Leather.

It was quite nice, a bit of a sting, but nothing to slam your hand in the door about :blush:

The key word for the scent is Clove, but that is also the first thing to burn off and leaves a light bay scent.

I really like that Tradition has become the new exotic scent, thanks to Axe
lets-all-smell-the-same packaging/marketing
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is the best aftershave I've used so far...at least for my skin. It has absolutely amazing razor burn fighting properties and my skin feels great after I have used it. I don't react that well to a lot of aftershaves so I was quite surprised about this.

The smell is very clovey/ spicy, its not a scent that will blow you away with how incredible it is but at the same time not its not unpleasant.

The burn is another interesting aspect. Immediately after application you don't really feel a burn, it kind of slowly builds up. It can get quite strong, but as it slow and not sharp to my senses the burn is less painful that say Aqua Velva etc. Once it begins to wear off I must say that I begin to feel a kind of cooling sensation.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I use this product every other day in rotation with Clubman A/S. I love the smell, and the Wife likes it too!:wink2:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This product is best summarized in the immortal words of Fire Marshall Bill: "Burns like the DICKENS!!" :cursing:

Yet, despite its blowtorch effect on the face, I still find it a good product. The alcohol that makes it burn so stoutly also makes it poor at moisturizing, but it tones well and fights razor burn. I myself follow it up with a moisturizer which balances it out nicely. I like the scent, though I like that it does not linger throughout the day. For the price the stuff is great, and if you like a nice burn to invigorate each morning, it will provide that in spades.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
AWESOME! It's like setting fire to your face! I love this stuff! :w00t:

The price can't be faulted- it's so cheap it's almost free! The scent isn't refined, but it is pleasant- warm and sweet, and quite natural. I like these spicy aromas, and my wife loves this one.

Razor burn? I don't get it, but this stuff certainly does burn! The cloves give a lasting burn that goes way beyond the initial sting of the alcohol. Very exciting. It doesn't moisturise at all, so I add a little glycerine to the bottle I use for aftershave. I also use it as a splash on after swimming or sports. Nice as a warm up rub for the legs before a bike race too.

This stuff is great, very versatile and best of all, cheap. I reccomend it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I was quite surprised at how good this stuff works and how nice it smells. In my opinion, it is quite possibly the best choice in a DS aftershave. I was afraid to try any of the Clubman aftershaves because I'm not big into scented aftershaves and I heard this stuff was strong, but WOW! As pleasant as they come.

Price: 10/10 - It varies depending on where you get it. You can find it online anywhere from 9-13 USD. I found it locally at Walgreens and paid 8 USD for a 12 Oz. bottle.

Quality: I'll come back to this in a minute.

Fights razor burn: Absolutely! it takes a minute or so to start working but after a few mintues I go back to the bathroom, look in the mirror, and can't believe how healthy my skin looks. To date it is the best tool for fighting razor burn.

Cooling sensation: this is where it gets some deductions. If you, like me, enjoy a nice menthol blast, then you might want to keep another cooling aftershave in your medicine cabinet for those days when you absolutely can't do without it. There is very little to no cooling, in fact there is some slight warming. It would be nice if it had a more cooling effect but no big deal.

Scent: WOW! how pleasant. I think some have exaggerated about the strength of the scent, which is what kept me from trying it for this long. I don't usually like aftershaves with strong or lingering scents but man, I'm so glad this one lingers :thumbup1: Right out of the bottle it smells strange and not very pleasant, but once you put it on it mellows out and develops into a nice cinnamon/clove/musk/something else, kind of complex I'd say. Now, is it really strong? NO! I can smell it throughout the day but others can't. My wife has to touch my face with her nose to detect it, otherwise she can't smell it, which is the way I like it. Some might have you believe that you'll walk into a room and everyone will know you just shaved, this is simply not true. I took a point away because there is a faint smell that reminds me of citronella and, while faint and not unpleasant, I could do without it.

Efficacy: This is one of razor burn's fiercest opponents :lol: After a while I go back to the bathroom, look in the mirror and there is no redness to be found anywhere.

Moisturizing: I don't think this applies to alcohol based aftershaves. It doesn't dry my skin, and during the winter I follow up with an unscented balm. During the summer when it's hot and humid I can easily get away with using this alone.

No alcohol burn: Most, if not all, alcohol based aftershaves have some burn. This stuff burns more than most, but that's not a bad thing. Some of us enjoy a nice and healthy alcohol burn, plus, it goes away quickly and leaves a soothing warming effect.

Quality: Considering it works, smells great, and it's balanced I'd say it's top notch.

My favorite splash so far. Now that I'm not afraid of the Clubman scents I might try others.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)