What's new

Clubman Shave Creame

This stuff is my new shaving cream. It has no oils in it to clog pores to create zits, nor any drying alcohols to dry out my skin, which will then create zits. This is exactly what I've been looking for in a shaving cream.I like the stuff, it works with my skin and to top that all, Clubman Shave cream is made in U.S.A. I got my tube at a beauty supply place, which I guess is where everyone else got theirs.

I'm not one to use products with the cooling effect in it but Clubman's is so subtle I actually enjoy it.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
I tried Sallys but it seems they discontinued the shave cream at all their Chicago area stores. Still carry talc and aftershave. I found a nice selection at riteaid.com, you are so right, I love this stuff!
I actually like to use this stuff in combination with VDH shave soap to buil a great "superlater" as recommended by mantic in his youtube video on superlater. Very slick with a good later and refreshing scent.
I always keep a few tubes of this cream on hand. It's easy to whip up a slick, creamy lather. I always get a smooth, comfortable shave with it. The quality is good just like with any other Clubman product. It has a clean, old time barbershop scent and it doesn't dry my face out.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I too was pleasantly surprised with this creme. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it really works quite well on all levels for me. After a weeks use with all of my brushes I can't find anything wrong with it. With Tom's of Maine being DC'd, I can see this replacing it in my rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I picked up Clubman Club Lather shave cream at Pasteur's in NYC along with my first bottle of the classic Pinaud-Clubman A/S Lotion. At first the scents seem incompatible, but they do work together. The shaving cream scent is somewhat mentholated, but it does not linger long at all, so you're probably safe to use any sort of scented AS. It lathers up well at first, but I noticed by the third pass that it doesn't hold it well, so you'll need to add a significant bit more after each pass to get a moist, rich lather. Otherwise I'm impressed, and the sturdy tube is great if you're using this as a travel-only product when you don't want to lug around a soap and bowl. Club Lather is a quality and economical choice.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
love anything clubman
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Very slick, solid lather (very easy to build)...

Oddly enough, my girlfriend (the one who got me into wet shaving) picked it up at Sally's for less than $3.

What a gal.
I bought this earlier this week on the cheap. Sally Beauty Supply had it on sale for $3.49 a tube. I figured I would get one tube and test it out. I asked if it was just a quick sale and I was disappointed to hear they weren't going to stop carrying it. I had such an easy time getting this to lather in my mug.
I absolutely love the smell. It's like a citrus/sweet lemongrass scent. I also love that there is less menthol, which makes it less potent than Proraso green. The best thing about this cream is that it moisturizes the face and it is extremely slick. It was so slick in fact that I was able to shave in directions I normally couldn't shave in with other soaps and creams. The razor would glide so well that I caught myself forgetting to reapply lather and it was no big deal because my skin was so hydrated from the ingredients in this product.​
It's like a citrus/sweet lemongrass scent. I also love that there is less menthol, which makes it less potent than Proraso green. The best thing about this cream is that it moisturizes the face and it is extremely slick. It was so slick in fact that I was able to shave in directions I normally couldn't shave in with other soaps and creams. The razor would glide so well that I caught myself forgetting to reapply lather and it was no big deal because my skin was so hydrated from the ingredients in this product.
I went back and bought the remaining stock in the store at the sale price. I checked the tube and for 5.5 oz it was a steal. I'm not sure how much the regular price is for this stuff. I think it's around $7.00 which makes it a steal at that price as well. I personally feel it out performs Proraso (ymmv) and you get more product for your money too. I certainly hope it's not being discontinued. I think Sally Beauty Supply will just stop stocking them. If I'm wrong I will be disappointed.​
bubalu;327014 said:
Thick and slick aside, the scent is what really turns me off to this product. Initially it smells of sweet minty menthol, but as the scent lingers I detect undertones of the "classic" Pinaud smell. The Pinaud smell appears to get stronger over time and clashes with the minty menthol scent. I do not like Pinaud. After using this product 4-5 times I had to throw it away, mostly due to its scent.

+1

I love Pinaud Clubman A/S but I really can't stand the smell of the Lather Shave Cream. To me it smells nothing like the A/S.
i was able to pick up a tube of this at my local sally beauty supply. the reason for such a high rating on price is because i paid somewhere around 3.50 for it. that's great news for my wallet, but bad news for those that like this cream. it was on half clearance, and i don't believe they are going to be restocking the clubman shave products in the future. i feel like this cream produced a very respectable lather, and a nice clean scent goes with it. i was able to get a very close shave with little effort, but the thing i liked most was that it was very moisturizing on my face. i felt like it was the most moisturizing out of the creams i own and have tried. it's a shame that they are most likely discontinuing this line because the products are a failure of marketing, not performance. head over to your local sally beauty supply and pick up a few tubes before they are all gone. i think i am going to pick up a couple more tomorrow.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
After trying the trying the Clubman's shave cream, I can honestly say it is a phenomenal cream. It is very slick and while some do not find the smell appealing, I don't mind it at all. It kind of smells like a barber shop cream. The anti-aging aftershave is even better. Second to none. Give either one of these products a shot.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This works much better with my DE razors. High quality shaving cream should make my razor blades last a little longer. My face felt much better after using this product. I have used their talcum powder for years and it smells great. (not diaper fresh) I dont like wasting stuff. I'll finish using my favorite canned aerosol shaving creams at the health club with cartridge blades.
For the price, I'm not sure you can do much better than the Clubman shaving cream. And that's not meant to be "damning with faint praise"! I would encourage everyone to go out and pick one up and see for yourself. It's good stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
I too stumbled across Clubmans shave cream at Sally's and have been using it for two weeks now. At first I was not sure if I was going to like it but am now quite happy. It lathers up quite nicely for me in a bowl. It seems fairly slick and has a faint menthol scent and feel to it. I do love my Proraso but this is a fine alternative and change of pace.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
Like others I agree this reminds me of Proraso Green... It doesn't quite lather up as good and the menthol is not as strong... I had trouble getting the water to cream ratio correct... 1st it was too runny... then it was too thick.. Eventually was able to get a decent consistancy after a few shaves... You can't beat the price... I paid $6.99 at Sally's for a big tube... The packaging is pretty much like most creams..... in a squeeze tube which makes it nice... There isn't much of a scent just a slight menthol smell......so I gave it a 6 for that.. All in all a decent cream but I probably won't buy anymore because KMF, Proraso Green, and Bodyshop cream are around the same price range and lather much better IMO....
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Radman;443459 said:
I reallly was impressed with this after trying a small sampler tube from Sally's beaty supply. It is similar to Proraso in my book but not quite as strong with the menthol so it is better suited to winter use than Proraso. If you have not tried the new aftershave balm that matches you are missing out as it is really fantastic!

The new Clubman shave cream is a refreshing improvement to the old canned product. The cream lathers fairly quickly and holds up well over the time it takes to shave top to bottom and bottom to top. It holds up much better than most soaps and does not break down or lose its moisture during the course of a normal first and second pass shave. It does give a cooling, energizing feel to your shave that is reminicent of Poraso without the eucaliptis (sic) smell. The lather is not as thick as Poraso but quite acceptable and wet. If you buy the cream with the Clubman balm, that I think is one of the best, you will use up the cream at a rate of approximately 5 to 1 rate. The balm lasts forever, given its thick, rich properties whereas the cream requires approximately a quarter sized squeeze to develop the required lather for two passes. Try the balm, especially if you have 15 to 20 minutes after application to let it work into your face. It is thick! A penny sized squeeze(or less) for each side of the face is enough. It is a great accompaniment to any shave. Use your liquid aftershave or fragrance after letting the balm work in. You will find the finish (and potential irratant) much more pleasant after the balm treatment at a price much less than higher priced balms. I hope this product stays on the market. American International Beauty, or something like that, now owns Pernaud and the Clubman line. They have been able to place the product in Sally's Beauty Supply but it has not received much other promotion. I understand that there is some reluctance to carry the line by smalller retailers because of the alleged requirement that large minimum orders are required and the fear of discontinuation of the product. I have some doubts about that claim but, Dah! If nobody knows about the product and it is not promoted how long will the manufacturer keep it in its inventory. This is essentially a great American product that we should all revisit. All Clubman products were originally. and continue to be, marketed as "professional products". The parent company has the ability and resources to provide these products through their distribution system to most retail outlets. The company already has its other products in many major retailers, including Walmart, Walgreens and your local supermarket. The Pernaud line has a great history but has been near oblivion for some years. This is a relatively new product that has not had sufficient exposure and needs our support.
I reallly was impressed with this after trying a small sampler tube from Sally's beaty supply. It is similar to Proraso in my book but not quite as strong with the menthol so it is better suited to winter use than Proraso. If you have not tried the new aftershave balm that matches you are missing out as it is really fantastic!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I like shaving cream lather to be thick and slick as opposed to pillows of lather that are not as slick; and to that end I always build the lather on my face. I find products such as the Body Shop, Proraso, Palmolive, and the Kiss My Face creams capable of a thick and slick lather. After several uses, experimenting with water to cream ratios, I could not build a thick and/or slick lather on my face with the Clubman product. As a consequence, I did not like the shaves it provided.

Thick and slick aside, the scent is what really turns me off to this product. Initially it smells of sweet minty menthol, but as the scent lingers I detect undertones of the "classic" Pinaud smell. The Pinaud smell appears to get stronger over time and clashes with the minty menthol scent. I do not like Pinaud. After using this product 4-5 times I had to throw it away, mostly due to its scent.

I was really hoping to like this product since it easy to obtain at Sally's, which seem to be always near Targets, it is not too expensive, though more so than KMF, and I wanted it to be an easy replacement for green Proraso. In my opinion it is not even near Proraso.

But, I believe that some people may like this product if they like the Pinaud type "classic" scents, use a mug or bowl to build lather and prefer mounds of lather rather than a thick and slick lather.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
If you like the clubman product go too ebarbershop.com for a good selection I will be doing a bit of business there. look for some lucky tiger its good too.:thumbup1:
Top Bottom