What's new

Clinique M Shave Aloe Gel

...nothing special at the end of the day. Better compared to any super-market available shaving foam, but nothing more than that. Furthermore, worse performer that its direct competitor from Aramis Lab Series.

This 'M' line by Clinique feels (to me, and this is very subjective) extremely artificial, feels like I am putting some kind of synthetic medicine on my face. More than 10 yrs ago I used to believe Clinique products are extremely good - not any more.

Needless to say that using this product bears no relationship to traditional shaving using cream/soap and bristle.

Overall: Not recommended.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
Prior to brush and soap/cream shaving - when I used to stand in the shower and rub on some canned, brushless, goo, and set to work with my beloved sensor excel - I went through many 'canned goo' products. Clinique M shave aloe gel ended up being the one I stuck with, simply because it was by far the best.

I agree that this product is definately in a league above the likes of gillette gel or king of shaves gel etc. It is a superior product with superior ingredients (its not actually goo at all, but has a very respectible ingredients list).

But, having said that, the performance/experience is not comparable to a quality traditional brush based shaving approach.

Overall, this is a great product if you want a brushless option. But you will be disappointed if you are intending on comparing this to the 3 T's or alike.

Other good products include Clinique's 'post shave healer' for aftershave and their 'face scrub' for pre shave. I rate thse two products highly.
Until recently, I had been an advocate for King of Shaves products. These items seemed to do the trick for me even though some may believe them to be garbage. However, being from Canada, I was tired of having to send away to England for shaving and skin care products. I was paying 2 or 3 times more than what I should have been paying.

Having probably heard enough of my bantering and complaining about exchange rates, my wife picked up a trio of Clinique's Skin Supplies for Men products for me as a surprise. More specifically, the liquid face wash, M protect face lotion, and the subject of this review, M Shave Aloe Gel. I thought this was a nice gesture seeing as how these products are very pricey ($65 Canadian for the three of them!!).

Anyway, I must say, I have been thoroughly impressed with the performance of this particular shave gel. I was initially wary of shaving with this stuff because it comes in a plastic version of an pressurized can similar to something you'd find in a drug store. The gel's consistency is similar to that of an Edge or Gillette Gel and it quickly forms into a comparable feeling later thereafter. From what I've read on this site, and on other sites, the stuff in a can isn't that great for one's skin.

However, the shaves I have yielded have been far more impressive than any cheap goo that you can find in any drug store. Firstly,the lather stayed on my face the entire time. Rather, it tends to really seep into the skin far more than the cheap stuff. Secondly, the cushion of the lather is amazing. For a shave gel/foam, I was very pleased. Lubrication and moisturizing properties were great as well seeing as how I did not experience any nicks, cuts, or razor burn after the shave. My skin didn't feel dried out, and I could have foregone the moisturizer because it just felt that good.

Some people may feel that the price is a big turn off. And I must admit, it still kind of is for me at this point. After all, paying 16 dollars (Canadian) for 125ml sounds like a lot. However, there's no need for a big glop of the stuff in your hands. You only need a dime's size (i.e the amount to cover the size of one of your fingernails) to produce a decent amount of lather. If you stay true to that, the stuff should last you a long time, or at least that's what I'm hoping.

Therefore, if you don't mind paying a bit more, Clinique Skin Supplies for Men are certainly worth a try.

* Packaging is kind of boring--Simple, grey tubes with white font.
*Scent is graded N/A because all Clinique products are fragrance free.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)