What's new

Classic Brand Lavender

Item Description

Here goes y'all:

Price= While I may not be fully qualified to rate this part (it came free with my bowl from classicshaving :tongue_sm), I would say that to pay 6 bucks for this soap is a pretty good deal. I've shaved with it everyday for the past 8-9 days and I've yet to make a decent dent in it. I'd think it would last 2+ months of daily shaving.

Quality= Good quality in my opinion, fairly large soap. Nothing amazing, but good.

Scent= The soap have a very delightful smell. However, as Joel pointed out in his review of the sandalwood, the scent is definitely not "strong". You must get fairly close to smell it and it becomes very faint after you lather it up. Not a "cologne" soap, but if you like a faint hint of scent, it'll please you.

Lather= The lather was very decent. Again, not overpowering as many other soaps I have seen in this review section, but not bad. Its a very light layer of lather once applied, and it works.

Efficacy= It does a better job than I would have thought by simply looking at the lather on your face. It's slick and smooth, I've yet to get any irritation from this soap. Shave is not as close as I would have liked though

Moisturizing= It was a 6 in my book. For me, a 6 in moisturizing is that it neither dried me out nor moisturized me. It allowed for a good shave and that's what I expected. My skin felt as it would have if I had just come out of the shower and not shaved. So, a 6

Here are some pics:

-Just about 10 seconds of swirling-
proxy.php

-After about 1 minute of lather-making-
proxy.php

-Brush loaded, ready to go-
proxy.php

-Lather on my face, take note to its light layer-
proxy.php

Latest reviews

Pros: Nice smell
Cons: Poor lather, poor razor glide
Got a puck of Classic Brand (Classic Shaving.com)'s Lavender when I purchased a mug from them.

Right away, and continuing, this soap was incredidbly difficult to lather. It took alot of time to generate anything thick - it was mostly very foamy and had alot of air in it.

The soap dries EXTREMELY quickly, and does not come back to life easily with more water.

The razor is not protected too well, and I experienced nicks and cuts I never had before with soap. The clay in the product made my razor "squeak", but like I said did not provide good glide or razor softening.

The moisturizing of this soap isn't the best, but it didn't leave my face too dry either. I'd actually say it MIGHT be on the drier side.

Either way, it's too expensive and doesn't provide the best shaving experience.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Price
All scents are great as a cake but add water and the smell degrades. Great price and OK lather. Classic Shaving sends emails with specials on many different scents.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Price: can't say yet - I'm not sure how long the puck will last, but it seems that $6 is a fair price. I happened to get this one for free so I didn't cast a vote.

Quality: this is my first and only soap, so I can't compare, but it is worthy backup to my AOS cream

Scent: Light, pleasant - a very nice scent to wake up to in the morning. Nothing overpowering - but that's okay when we're dealing with lavender here.

Lather: The first day, I tried my best to follow the soap lather tutorial and ended up adding some AOS cream to the mix and salvaging an okay shave.
I tried a different method, keeping much more water in the brush and really working up a lather right on the soap (kept in a small stainless bowl) before transferring to a mug. Got a mug full of great rich lather. I think its a matter of finding the right technique to work with this soap but it will perform.

Efficacy: Much different feel than cream - not much film left after passing with my razor - a very "clean" feel. Close shave, zero irritation.

Moisturizing: Decent - my skin is quite dry after washing in the shower and this left my face feeling much nicer. I am always quick to apply a balm, toner, cream afterwards so its hard to really gauge.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)