What's new

Chinese 12K - Natural Stone...

Not much to add to reviews above, but I though I would rate it.

I have had four so far come through my hands and found that the ugliest one was the best. It has some little black squiggles in the rock. The two I did not keep I sold to some knife guys I know who always are looking for something to shine up their bevels.

They come in an 8 x 2 and a larger size. I kept one of each size. They are tough to lap and take time, but you will probably never have to do it again.

Prepare to spend a bit of time, but the results are hard to distinguish from a much more expensive JNAT.
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Use
4.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Resistance to Wear
4.00 star(s)
Definitely a keeper... everyday becoming less and less of a well kept secret.
After finishing a couple of razors with it, I can definitely say that it is a STEAL compared to the other finishing stones. Sure, you never know what grit you actually get... but I was lucky enough to get one second hand that was actually finer that it's actual "rating" and already lapped, thank god.

It's a stone that'll outlive your grand grand grand children... a good buy.
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Use
4.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Resistance to Wear
5.00 star(s)
I like this hone because it does a great job for the price. I had no problems with some of the trade offs but I am trying to be objective.

Ease of Use: I think it is easy to use but as Joel pointed out this is a very slow hone.

Quality: Simple cardboard box and relatively rough stone. You will easily tell what sides you lapped.

Resistance to wear: This is a very, very hard stone. I used wet/dry sandpaper to lap it and it took awhile. Also went through several sheets. I don't think you would ever need to replace this stone even if you used it daily.

Efficacy: It gets the job done but it is very slow. I think this is good for the new guy though because it would be hard to quickly damage a blade. It does produce a polished and ultra smooth edge though.

Overall Value: These hones are cheap and will probably last a life time. Although slow and somewhat time consuming the polished smooth edge makes it worth it.
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Use
4.00 star(s)
Overall Value
4.00 star(s)
Resistance to Wear
4.00 star(s)
Where can I buy one of these Chinese stones?
displayimage.php

Chinese 12K
This is a stone I am quite fond of… and it always surprises me just how well it works, and for such a bargain bin price. In fact, I am ashamed to admit, I wrote the stone off by and large due to them being so inexpensive – I just assumed they were nothing superlative to speak of… boy was I wrong. In my opinion, if you want a natural finishing hone – look no further than the Chinese 12K. These natural water stones are EXCEPTIONALLY hard stones, almost ceramic like, and are quarried in the Guangxi province of China. While a “water stone” and while they recommend soaking the stone, I find it unnecessary – and personally I get superb results merely wetting the stone, and honing away. This stone cuts very, very, VERY slowly. I mean at least 50, usually 100 passes as a finishing. While it does take awhile to get that buttery smooth edge, once you’re there – at least in my opinion, it is one of the nicest finishing hones and for a big hone (these are 8” X 2-3/4” X 1-1/4”) and a solid hone (these aren’t mounted to anything – these are all natural, all 12K honing material, and all useful/usable) – these are an absolute steal for the paltry sum of $30 here! These stones do need to be flattened however, and they are incredibly hard – so make sure you have a diamond plate, and some patience, as it’ll take some time to lap this sucker!

displayimage.php

Pro’s
1.) Amazing deal, as they are inexpensive, readily available, large and all natural. A Natural Japanese Waterstone of this efficacy would cost thousands of dollars.
2.) Slow cutting… very hard to over hone, and works great for razors that “microchip” with faster cutting hones.
3.) These hones work exceptionally well, and since they are so hard after an initial lapping, you might not need to lap it ever again.
4.) These hones do not need to be soaked prior to use.

displayimage.php

Con’s
1.) Very slow cutting – can be time consuming.
2.) Very hard – can take a long time to lap.
3.) These hones offer very little “feedback” and feel as if you are running your razor across smooth glass.
4.) Somewhat boring to use.

TO DISCUSS THIS REVIEW - PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD!
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Use
3.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Resistance to Wear
5.00 star(s)
Top Bottom