What's new

Chanel Egoiste

Egoiste is a pleasant sandalwood oriental from Chanel. Creamy, cinnamon-laden sandalwood, with stewed fruits and some other toned-down and mentholated spices - perhaps a dash or ginger and coriander. There's definitely ambrette in the mix, although that's not as prominent as some would have you believe.

Although worthy of the Chanel brand, and certainly underrated, I can't help but feel that Egoiste has seen its day, and that day has passed - much like other orientals in the league of Coco and Le Male. Orientals in general seem to be getting increasingly passe, and Egoiste is no exception. Good, nothing wrong with it, but should be discontinued and replaced with something a bit more modern and daring. Perhaps if it weren't so tame, it would stand a better chance with me. To end on a good note, I'll say that the sandalwood in Egoiste is the best I've ever smelled, comparable only to Green Irish Tweed's.

Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Well this review is of the cologne and not aftershave.

Top Notes
Sicilian Tangerine, Brazilian Rosewood.

Middle Notes
Coriander, Damask Rose

Base Notes
Sandalwood, Vanilla, Ambrette seed

Égoïste opens up with nice oriental fruit and spicy notes. It dries down after an hour or so to a nice balance of sandalwood and vanilla notes with a tinge of amber. I get more vanilla than anything and wish the sandalwood notes were more pronounced.

This really reminds me of L'Occitane's Eau De Bavx, which I prefer much more. I do like the Égoïste, but it has too much overlap with what I have now, and for the price I prefer what L'occitane has to offer.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
D
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5a2JH_BVE[/YOUTUBE]

Chanel Egoiste (original) is my absulute favourite after shave. It really gives me a fresh fealing when I use it after a good shave (dry or wet). I relieves the skin from burning instantly, cleans and nurtures the skin. As it is alcohol based, the nurturing wont be so effective as with a balm or cream but my face never feals dry after using Egoiste. The scent is fantastic and stays on a long time. Actually don't use to much aftershave of this one or the scent will be too strong!

Lately the Chanel company went a step further with developing the Platinum Egoiste which is slightly different from the original scent. With Anteus working out the sandlewood scents, Platinum works out the more refreshing notes and keeps the warm refreshing scents of the original Egoiste line.

Top notes : Alpine Lavender, Rosemary from Provence, Petit Grain from Paraguay.
Middle notes : Clary Sage from the Caucasus, Geranium from Réunion, Persian Galbanum.
Base notes : Vetiver from Haiti, Atlas Mountain Cedar, Cistus Labdanum from Esterel.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)