What's new

Celestial Sensations Fragrance Free Shaving Soap

This soap sounded great in theory, yet it's probably the worst "shaving soap" I've ever tried. Bottom line, this stuff will not produce a lather suitable for shaving. I have to seriously question whether the soap maker bothered to test this stuff at all and whether they are completely ignorant of how shaving soap is supposed to work.

The ingredients are as follows:

Coconut oil, Castor oil, Olive Oil, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Flakes, Canola Oil, Shea Butter, Aloe, Bentonite Clay

Reading the list above you can see why I said this stuff sounded great in theory. This is a homemade "cold process" shaving soap. It's made from scratch, not from a melt and pour premade glycerine base. While I think making soap from scratch is admirable, if it doesn't work for the purpose it's supposedly designed for then how it's made is a moot point.

I'm not a soap maker so I can't say for certain how to reformulate this soap in order to get it to work properly. I suspect the olive oil is the problem, because I know some other guys on the forum have had major problems with soaps that contain moderate to large quantities of olive oil.

I think a product of this sort has great potential if it can be tweaked to work properly, so I really hope the soap maker will reformulate it. When I contacted the maker, they didn't seem to receptive to reformulation, so I'm not getting my hopes up. I even suggested they join this forum and/or the other shaving forums out there to get unbiased feedback from members willing to test the soap.

Overall, if you want a natural, fragrance free bath bar, this might fit the bill. If you actually want a proper shaving soap, stay away.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)