What's new

Cedarwood and Sandlewood

Pros: Solid, long lasting, excellent skin nourishment
Cons: scent
Castle Forbes Cedar/Sandalwood Shaving Cream is a high-quality shaving cream, and won Badger & Blade's Best of Category in 2015 (http://www.badgerandblade.com/2015-awards-shaving-cream/).

The scent is not sweet, but rather the actual smell of fresh-cut sandalwood & cedar - very manly, heavily woody. The lime and lavender scents are the same - these are the smells of the actual essential oils, not a fake perfume. The scent blooms as you apply the lather, allowing you to get the full range of fragrance.

Castle Forbes Collection is not a faceless, mindless corporation, but a small outfit dedicated to quality above all and run from the seat of the Forbes clan in Scotland. They only make small batches to have absolute control. Along with Lady Forbes, Mr. Andrew French and his wife Judy created the brand in response to his failure to find a shaving cream which performed to his standards. The resulting cream has a very firm consistency, and lasts a long, long time. It may appear expensive, but the use you will get balances out the price nicely. The high quality is apparent most after you finish your shave - your skin will feel softer and smoother for many hours. Use it regularly and your face will reward you, as will your significant other.

As with any manufacturer, you are more likely to get a quick response to a product inquiry from your selected retailer. That said, I recently had an exchange of emails with Mr. French, and found him absolutely committed to customer satisfaction. Even with his busy schedule, he was generous and diligent about answering my question about a product characteristic. Given that he is as likely to be conducting a show at Saks 5th Avenue or keeping company with Scottish Peerage, I felt the time he spent with a single customer was extraordinary.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great lather, smooth and protective
Cons: none
This is the first time I have ever used this product. As the previous review stated, the scent is something that takes some time to grow on you. It is a very earthy smell. Overall I was happy with this, but look forward to trying the lime as well.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Rich, emollient, thick lather!
Cons: The scent will be off-putting to some
I'm familiar with Castle Forbes creams in their other scents, but I was looking for something out of the ordinary, and this fit the bill!

First, Castle Forbes creams produce a wonderfully rich and thick lather that's slick and protecting. It doesn't take much of this stiffer than usual cream to produce that great lather – whip it with your brush, and you are returned mounds of lather.

Now the scent is not what most expect; it's not a sweet perfumer's accord like Serge Lutens Cédre – for example, but rather a dry, natural smell of the woods themselves [perhaps that's why it's called Cedar and Sandal *wood*] as if you were smelling a plank of wood. The cedar predominates, with the sandalwood taking a back seat, but they do make a great combination, and – for me at least – a welcome early morning change from the other sweet and floral creams in my rotation. This, however, is not a scent for everyone – most find it's dryness jarring and unexpected, but I like it. And the performance is top notch!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)