What's new

Cedarfurnitureman homemade shaving soap

SlagleRock;1188046 said:
How accurate are these reviews? 97% average!?!?! :confused: Anyone else find it odd that a 97% is better than the famed Tabac or any of the big 3 T's?

79% is the member average. 97% is the first reviewers average.
SlagleRock;1188046 said:
better than the famed Tabac or any of the big 3 T's?

:ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:
How accurate are these reviews? 97% average!?!?! :confused: Anyone else find it odd that a 97% is better than the famed Tabac or any of the big 3 T's?
For $6.50 this is a decent lathering shave soap. The scent is just okay - a medicinal spice. Not memorable...not awful. It lathers quite easily - enough for a 3 pass shave. I have so many shave soaps from all the "obvious names", so I rated most of the categories 7+. Forgetting all the comments on the 20 page thread, it's really not bad at all. I'll use it again. The sellers couldn't be more gracious or accomodating.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Homemade means, made at home-This product is unequivocally a melt and pour product, this is not possible to do from scratch in a home shop, especially if your Great-Grandmother is at the helm of the operation.

My sample size bar was passed to me from a member here.

The product smells like a fresh bar of ivory soap,at best, a very artificial scent. It made me want to sneeze.

The product is fairly soft and it was easy to load the brush with product, I loaded a Simpson's Chubby 1 and made lather in my bowl- and made lather in my bowl, and made lather in my bowl- I went back to the soap for more product and made lather in my bowl.

Brought the lather to my face and made a couple of passes, slickness was fairly good to acceptable, the bad news.... NO cushion.... for my third pass-What?.... where is my hard earned lather? The lather from this soap is very unstable and was totally collapsed after only a few minutes.. So to soldier on I made more lather ect. ect.. for another 3 passes. I used a LOT of soap.

I have a BBS shave, and razor burn. :blushing:

I can safely say that after trying over 100 soaps, this is in the top three worst.... ever. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

I have been told that the "maker" of this soap has discontinued it.

Well, its probably for the best.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
I bought this soap after a recommendation from a friend and fellow member of B&B. The price of the soap is 6.50 shipped, which is reasonable. The level of service from the vendor was excellent and even included a handwritten thank-you note. They ship very quickly also. The packaging of the soap was welI done. As far as performance, there are other soaps that are comparable that I have tried but nothing I've found to be better. I lathered up the soap using a Shavemac Finest with no problems. There was no explosion of suds, just a smooth, slick lather. The shave was one of the most comfortable shaves, other than what I get with the La toja shave stick. After my usual three passes, I had no problem with the Aqua Velva After Shave burning at all. Moisturizing? I don't know what's in it, but my face felt good and soft afterwards. I applied my typical Prorasso After Shave Balm and, even the next day, my face was still nice and smooth. As with any product, ymmv. This has become my number one soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Alright. Due to the insane amount of conversation this soap has engendered I had to try it out for myself. I mean, as good as or better than English Fern? For $6.50? Sign me up!

Fellas, here's the skinny: It ain't so.

From what I can tell this is a very average, ordinary, melt & pour glycerin-based soap. It might indeed be made from Granny's Recipe but only if Granny used a melt & pour base.

Price: $6.50, shipped. Pretty good for a glycerin-based soap.

Quality: Eh. It's ok. Standard, glycerin soap.

Scent: I gave this a 5 because to me, the scent ranges from so-so to average. I don't find it to be either particularly interesting or enjoyable. Certainly it doesn't hold a candle to QED, Mama Bear or TGQ, let alone Penhaligon's.

Lather: This was the most telling part. The lather was: ok. It actually didn't lather quite as well as QED's, or Mama Bear's, or TGQ's soaps. Not that it was hard to lather -- it wasn't -- but it did take a little more elbow grease to make it work. It was a smooth shave -- no nicks or weepers -- but I find the lather from our other, artisanal glycerin soapmakers to be of much higher quality. There wasn't nearly the same degree of slickness or cushion that I normally get from, say, TGQ. And as for being the same as or better than Penhaligon's? In the lather department? Forget it. Not even close.

Efficacy: See Quality & Lather above.

Moisturizing: My face actually felt kind of tight & dry after the shave. I was also left with a bit of residual itching, probably from the FOs in the soap. My skin felt ok but I definitely needed to use an AS afterwards. And this from only 1 pass with a bit of touch-up work! :eek: Again, the end result was not even close to the way my skin feels after an English Fern or Tabac shave.

The moral of the story? Don't believe the hype. :wink:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
This is an amazing homemade soap. Because it is not a brand name some people may be reluctant to give it a try but they would really be doing themselves and their shave a dis-service.

Price: ridiculously cheap for this quality of soap. $6:50

Quality: It's handmade/homemade but works like it should. What more can I say?

Scent: I love the scent, I found that I smelt it throughout the shave and even a little bit afterward. It's tough to describe but it's a clean shaving smell. Just smelling it reminds me of shaving, as unhelpful and weird as that sounds. I gave it a 9 because I personally would have liked it to be a little stronger but it's near perfect.

Lather: Let me tell you, this is where it impressed me the most. I started mixing this stuff with my brush and I was astounded at the explosion of thick rich, frothy lather. I originally thought I was not able to get a great lather compared to some of the other video that I have seen because I am in an area that is known for having very hard water. But when I mixed this stuff I got a quality of lather that I didn't think I was able to get in my hard water area.

Efficacy: This soap works awesome. I applied it to my face, it smelt great and my razor just slid across my face like butter. It made for an extremely easy and smooth shave.

Moisturizing: This left my face feeling amazingly soft and moisturized. When I switched to wet shaving there was a huge difference on how soft and moisturized my face felt after shaving and this was another improvement on top of that. Musgo is my current favorite shave cream. This soap left my face feeling softer and more moisturized than when I shave with my musgo.

This is currently one of my favorite shave soaps. This is truly a hidden understated gem. Not only was the soap amazing but so was the service I received. I couldn't be more impressed with the soap or the people/service.

If you have any comments to make don't do it here but on this thread:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=86747

Greetings to all!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I have to agree pretty much with Teiste's excellent review. My comments will be a little different, not because of the quality of the soap, but because I don't have the experience and the time put into wet shaving with a brush as he does. I have been using it now for a week straight and can only compare it to AoS Sandlewood and Penhaligon English Fern. I'm using it with a Rooney 3/1 and a Fat Boy set to 4. First off the quality and the price of this soap can't be beat. I find it lathers up very quickly and is comparible to English Fern. It has a very nice, clean scent that is not nearly as strong as the English Fern. I like that. It does not linger or detract from the purpose of using it, a clean shave. Can the scent be improved? Maybe. That's why I gave it a 9.

The best part is the shave. The razor just glides over your face giving you a very close shave with no pulling, nicks or irritation. I use an IP blade. After a cold water splash and a touch of Brut Balm your face feels like heaven. It's hard to explain. I don't quite get the same feeling with the other two soaps. For me it's my number one soap, a bit ahead of the other two which I find excellent as well. But like I said I haven't been using soaps very long so try it for yourself. Laney and Quinton are wonderful people and wonderful sellers that I trust completely.

Len
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I have been using shaving creams,shaving soaps and brushes for almost 9 years now(unfortunately for me I haven't used DEs until 4 months ago).I have tried plenty of creams and soaps.I have tried soaps from places that I didn't even know that they exist,soaps from the most famous soap makers,plenty of homemade soaps(one they're were just good,others not even close)and I thought that nothing could be better than my beloved Tabac shaving soap,and La Toja and Speick shaving sticks...until last week when I tried this outstanding soap made by cedarfurniturimen(the name that they use on the bay).This soap is made from an old family recipe(as they advise) and works so amazing!But lets go to the review:

Price:is hard to beat.The 3 oz bar cost 6.50 dollars(4.90 euros).I have to paid almost 17 euros for Tabac (yes,I know,Tabac comes on a nice good looking jar) and like 4 euros for La Toja shaving stick,so I find this price really cheap for the quality of the soap.

Quality:as I have said before:eek:utstanding.Its even better than Tabac,La Toja or Speick(and I swear on those 3)This soap is simply made with the best ingredients like olive oil,shea butter,coconut oil,goats milk,bentonite clay and so forth.I was skeptical about the olive oil on it( I have tried so many olive oil based soaps with terrible results)but in this one is added as a compliment for a better sliding effect.

Scent:its a nice,clean,old fashion scent.I love spicy scents and I would love this soap to smell like La Toja or Speick.However is perfect for summer days.
Hope that Quinton and Laney could work on a spicy version of this soap

Lather:eek:nce again beats my favorite soaps.I have tried this soap with 3 different brushes,a Kent BK8, a Omega silvertip and a horse hair shaving brush and with all of them I have made a rich,thick lather.Its a little bit thicker than La Toja or Speick but as thick as Tabac(and we know thick could be the lather made from Tabac).

Efficacy:Great!works so perfect for my skin.The first time that I shaved with it had the feeling that I was passing a knife over ice.Have to experience it to know what Im talking about.

Moisturizing:another 10!Leaves my skin fresh and moisturize.When I apply my favorite after shave,Floid Vigoroso,I only feel the tingling effect of the menthol but not the burning sensation of the alcohol(and Floid is full of it=)

If I would have to choose an everyday soap this would be the one without hesitation.Thanks goodness that I don't have to do that and I will use my beloved Tabac and La Toja.This soap is worth a try and I know that is not gonna disappoint anybody.
I just wanna say thank you to Quinton and Laney for their wonderful soap and for the service that they give to all their customers +10!

If you have any comments to make don't do it here but on this thread:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=86747

Greetings to all!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy