What's new

Cat o' nine tails

Pros: ingredients, made in USA, Smell, Burn
Cons: may be too strong for some
I own a lot of aftershaves and this is my favorite. It is very similar to the Bay Rum in scent and capability, but has a burn that feels oh so good. If you like the burn after a great shave and the bay rum scent, then pick this product up. This is one of my go to aftershaves. Great Job with this one Captian's Choice!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great scent, invigorates the face, the burn is very noticeable but not overdone.
Cons: None that I can think of at the moment.
What a surprise when I first put this on my face. I had read many opinions about this product on this forum. When it was one of my Christmas gifts I couldn't wait to try it.

The scent is out of the park. The clove is the most striking part of the scent to me. The "burn" was at first not such a big deal, but then it starts to build! And build! It is a remarkable feeling that I suppose is not going to endear itself to everyone, but for me it was quite refreshing and invigorating.

The scent lasts a pretty good while, especially compared to other after shave splashes and the face feels soothed and relieved.

I was not quite sure how to put down numbers for "Fights Razor Burn" and "No Alcohol Burn" because a regular part of my shave routine is to use an alum block, clean my brush and bowl, and then rinse my face and then apply whatever after shave I'm going to use for that day. Let's just say that as a part of my shaving routine, this product makes the face feel great!

Simply put this product is, for me, here to stay.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: It's effective and smells wonderful
Cons: None
What can I say that's not been said before. Fights razor burn like no other. Smell is deep and manly. Does not have that annoying clove scent like most others. A must-try.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: the burn!!
Cons: the burn!!!
I need to preface this review with the fact I'm normally a menthol guy and I don't have any Bay Rum anything left in my gear. I wasn't expecting so much Bay Rum but it's basically a normal Bay Rum with something to make it burn like the fires of h3ll were unleashed on your face. It left my face dry and tight. I needed a balm afterward. About 45 seconds after I splashed it on I felt an amazing urge to wash it off. Good thing I only got a sample.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Alcohol Kick and the scent
Cons: I'm almost out of it.
I've tried out a lot of bay rums. A LOT of them. And I just came around again and tried this one for the first time in a while and holey moley...
Ok first off, Cat'O'Nine is a great name for this product, being a fun take on the alcohol bite that this stuff provides after your shave. And today I had a nick-free shave and this stuff still provided a really pleasant kick in the face.
But even better than the alcohol kick is the scent. Any true fan of bay rum will immediately love this deep, romantic, intoxicating take on bay rum. It's a bay rum with an intense depth to it. What makes it really special to me is that I can't really pick apart the different elements of the scent. Nothing really stands out but the resulting combination is just exquisite. It really is. I can sense the citrus and I can sense a little bit of a floral note, but truly, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.
And even better than the scent is the ingredients list. The Captain has truly lived up to the K.I.S.S. credo, keeping it relatively simple. While Cat'O'Nine may be an instrument of torture, this Cat'O'Nine wants to love your face with witch hazel and glycerin and an utter lack of unpronounceable chemical compounds.
Thank you Captain. An excellent choice if I may say so myself.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, The BURN!, Skin Feel
Cons: I'd like the scent to last longer...
I'm completely hooked on this product!

Quality 10 - I usually don't care what my AS comes in - I'm after what's inside after all! But this is a notably high quality brown glass apothecary container. From what I can see, the liquid inside looks a bit thicker than water and cloudy.

Razor Burn 10 - Although the alcohol in C-o'9 definitely highlights the places where my technique is lacking, I find that my skin is smooth and calm after the burn cycle with no evidence of having put steel to skin.

Cooling Sensation 1 - this is quite the opposite - there is a distinct alcohol tingle immediately on application, which settles quickly, followed by an intense warming sensation that increases in heat for a few minutes. It fades fairly quickly, leaving my face feeling it's BBS best!

Scent 9 - This is my current favorite Bay Rum. As others have mentioned, it's more of a "dark" scent - no clove or citrus that I can detect. Instead there is a lot of bay, a hint of cinnamon and an almost "dirty in a good way" black strap molasses scent; I have a hard time pinning it down - but SWMBO likes it enough to stay close to me while it fades. Which is my only real complaint - it fades in less than an hour on me, though I catch an occasional whiff until lunch.

Efficacy 10 - This stuff WORKS! My skin feels toned and supple throughout the day.

Moisturizing 5 - I gave this a five, figuring that is the neutral middle - not drying like a straight alcohol rub, but not super moisturizing like a balm. - It's neutral (which I like)

No Alcohol Burn 3 - There is a distinct tingle on application. It's not as bad as others - I don't run away from it when I've been too aggressive with my Slim.

Overall 10 - I'm completely hooked on this product! Between the scent, the controlled burning sensation, and the way it leaves my face feeling after shaving - this will be in rotation for the long term (how much for a gallon?)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Moisturizing feel following the BURN, scent
Cons: Nothing
This is a wonderful product! The bay rum scent seems to be a touch "spicier" than the Captain's Choice original bay rum aftershave. I prefer the scent of this over the original Bay Rum. While anyone would prefer the scent to last longer, it easily lasts as long or longer than any other bay rum aftershaves I've tried. However, the reason it has become my go-to aftershave is the face-feel. Like the other reviewers have noted, it BURNS! More than any other alcohol-based aftershave I've encountered. After the burn (it's definitely more of a long-lasting burn than a quick sting) subsides, my face feels absolutely fantastic! It tightens up but still feels well-moisturized (it has witch hazel listed in the ingredients). This feeling lasts all day! Now, while the burn is strong and long-lasting (relatively), it should not be too much for someone who enjoys any other alcohol-based aftershaves. It's definitely a notch or two above, but don't let that scare you! Overall, this is a classic Bay Rum with a bit of extra kick that I find myself reaching for more often than not!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Strong, long-lasting Bay Rum scent. Excellent burn.
Cons: Not for everyday use IMO; SWMBO does not like.
I love CO9T and it's the reason I look forward to my Bay Rum Fridays. I am extremely satisfied and can't wait to try the other products from this quality company.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Great Scent, Lasting Bay Rum Fragrance, Not Too Sweet
Cons: Doesn't come in a gallon jug.
I can't get enough of Cat O' Nine Tails. The scent is intoxicating, but not overly sweet. It's a darker smelling bay rum when compared to others. It goes on with very little alcohol burn, but has this amazing warmth that grows over a period of a few minutes that just feels amazing. The scent lasts on my skin for at least half a day or longer, though even at the end of the day a slight trace of the fragrance can still be detected. This is the best bay rum I've used.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: great classic bay rum - with BURN!
Cons: none, really....
Here's another winner from the Captain - to me, this is a classic "dry" (not sweet) bay rum - with the added benefit of a real kick! I love the scent (again, to me, a classic dry BR), the added glycerin soothes and heals... really, a great product and a must-have for bay rum fans.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Burns like Fire!
Cons: Burns like Fire!
It's pro is also it's con.
It burns like fire. This product is a response to people (like me) who feel no burn from the original Captain's Choice Bay Rum.

This product is not for everyone, but for those who enjoy a strong burn, this is what you've been looking for.

Like many Bay Rums, it comes on slowly. You feel the heat when you splash it on, and then it gets hotter over the next few minutes as it dries down.

The scent is nice. It is a bit stronger in cinnamon than most Bay Rums, but it manages to pull it off without making you smell like a gingerbread man.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
For interest of full disclosure: I love Captain's Choice Bay Rum. It is top notch. Personally, I like a spicy/clove smelling bay rum, so I didn't think I would like Captain's Choice once I smelled it. Boy was I wrong! If you are a bay rum lover, this is a must-have in the den.

When I saw Cat O' Nine Tails and read the description, I had to have it. My hope was that it was similar to the original with that clove smell infused. There is a negative to this aftershave, and that is that it did not have the clove scent. However, that is the only negative I could find.

About the splash itself. First, the scent: It is remarkably similar to the original, but there is added depth and body to it. It's like a more robust Captain's Choice. So while it did not meet my expectations in terms of the clove smell that I love, it is certainly a spicier, darker, warmer scent than the original.

Second, the packaging. My major gripe with the original bay rum was that there was not a stopper in the bottle, so it was difficult to pour the right amount. More than once I lost some valuable bay rum down the drain due to this. My complaint was heard, and the bottle now has a stopper! I also like the dark glass bottle, instead of the clear bottle on the original. It's a nice touch to the aftershave.

Finally, the performance. This bay rum is exceptional! It is as good or better than the original. When you first put it on, there is a burn there not present with the original. It's a lot like Clubman's VIBR, but not as sharp. The burn is the right amount. After the burn, the captain goes to work. The splash provides a nice soothing feeling to the skin and is very moisturizing. Like the original, there is witch hazel, so there is a feel of skin tightening with this splash as well. Personally, I like that feeling, but I know others don't. And finally, there is the scent. It is long-lasting and stays with you for much of the day. Five hours into the day and it is still going strong.

Another exceptional aftershave by Scott. Now I need to find the right soap to pair the splash with. The original pairs perfectly with Mystic Waters Bay Rum Soap. No luck yet with Cat O' Nine Tails.

Well done Captain! I look forward to your next creation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Warm glow, Bay Rum
Cons: SWMBO doesn't dig the freshly applied scent. She is overly sensitive like that. YMMV.
When you order Thai food and the server gives you the look of pity? Cat o' Nine Tails is for you.

It's not summer until there are twenty 100 degree days? Cat o' Nine Tails is for you.

Scuttle shave in the summer without A/C? Or in the winter with the heater on? Cat o' Nine Tails is for you.

Wonder why the other patrons of the wing joint are dipping their wings in white sauces? Cat o' Nine Tails is for you.

Set of smoke detectors with your shower? Cat o' Nine Tails is for you.

Menthol shave cream/soap only in a scuttle? Cat o' Nine Tails is for you.

Cold shave? Probably ought to skip it.

Cat o' Nine Tails is a gently warming aftershave in the fine tradition of Bay Rum. The initial sting is less alcohol burn and more the beginning of the warm up. Think of applying Ben Gay to your freshly shaven face in a good way. The heat builds to a satisfying burn and drifts off as you begin your day.

While the burn diminishes, the hint of Bay Rum will suddenly pop up throughout the day as a subtle reminder of your shave. If applied in the right dose, and you tend to sweat profusely, you can get the feeling later in the day that you are sweating it back out. The good news is that your sweat smells like Bay Rum now, so it's a win/win.

The only downside for me is that SWMBO is overly sensitive to smells and scents. This leads me to avoid her for the first few minutes after applying. Since you didn't marry her, this should be a YMMV side effect.

I dig this aftershave. My face feels smoother, smells better, and I like warm things. The drip stopper works great to get just the few needed drops out.

It doesn't take much to cap off a great shave with Cat o' Nine Tails.

Or make a mediocre shave better.

Or pretend to shave when you didn't.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: scent, skin feel
Excellent product. A warmer skin feel that is not quite a burn, but lasts several minutes. There is a strong alcohol feel during splash.

The scent lasts quite a while and cleanly fades away. I have not felt a need to wash the remaining scent away with any Captain's Choice products.

Phil

I tried a sample, so the price is low. I will be ordering a regular bottle soon.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great scent and feel on the face
Cons: Can't think of any
As a user and huge fan of the original Captains Choice A/S I was quite excited when Scott (Capt) was testing his new formula. I was lucky enough to receive a sample vial of this new juice and quickly fell in love with the stuff.

The scent, moisturizing effect, and overall face feel is on par with the original but with that extra BURN/ZING/TINGLE that is absolutely fantastic. It's kind of a crescendo of sensations for your nose and skin all at the same time.

I gave a 1 for cooling sensation but that doesn't mean that it does not actually make your face feel like a million doubloons once you splash this on.

Do yourselves a favor gents and purchase a bottle you can't go wrong with Cat O Nine Tails.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Smell, Feel, Look of packaging
Cons: Flow restrictor is good, too good
CC was my go to aftershave for a bad shave previously. Now that Co9T is out it has replaced the original. AS seriously leaves my face feeling like I didn't just shave even after a particularly poor shave. Because of winter I've now been following up the Co9T with a bit of balm for extra moisturizing but during the summer all I needed was the splash.

Burn is more of an increasing warming sensation and with my first application is was very strong. I think I've probably gotten used to it some but it still feels great.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: The Burn!
Cons: I'm out of it!
Great stuff, feels good going on. Gives you a kick and a burn then settles down to a clean feeling with a nice Bay Rum fragrance. Good morning splash even if you shaved last night!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smells great, very nice heat, and leaves my face feeling nice and smooth
Cons: None at all, I love the stuff!
The Captain has done it again with his new offering in the Cat o' Nine Tails. If you have tried the original formula, then you know what you're in for, but with a twist. This new formula has a deeper bay rum scent which is very nice and not overpowering at all. It's just a good earthy spicy scent. The biggest difference is the burn that you get with this stuff. It's not a cheap aftershave alcohol burn, but something that slowly warms the face after you apply it until it builds into some serious heat. The great thing about the burn is that just when you really start to notice the heat, it will taper off slowly leaving your face taut and smooth. I especially like the fact that it contains witch hazel that helps you avoid irritation. I've been a fan of the original formula since I first tried it and have not been disappointed in this one.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice "kick" and great smell!
Cons: None
I've been trying to squeeze every drop out the sample I have because it's so good. I love a good "burn" feeling in an aftershave, and this one definitely has it! I'm a big fan of CC and Cat O' 9 Tails is the next one I will order. I highly recommend this aftershave!
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: CC has some of the best BR out there
Cons: IMO the original CC has a slightly better scent
This is hard to rate using the system above. It's a wonderful, kick you in the butt in the morning to get moving AS. It's not all that much of a burn compared to Pinaud V.I. but you will know it's there when you put it on that freshly shaved face. The scent is excellent but I am a big fan of the original CC so it lost one point there. BUT the scent is still terrific!
If you are a fan of BR, this is almost a must for your collection along with the regular CC BR. I have several BR brands and the price is great for this quality of BR.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)