What's new

Caswell-Massey Almond Cream

Worst cream I've tried so far. No amount of water/product combination worked in creating any reasonable amount of lather. The only good thing going for it was its scent.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
"Carpal-Tunnel 1752"
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
I would have expected more from "America's Oldest Chemists and Perfumers, established in 1752."
This was my first purchase of a true shave cream, my introduction to wet shaving (back in 2005).
The price seemed reasonable, and the smell was fantastic.

When I got it home and tried it, I found that the lathering was terrible. As it was my first attempt to lather, I thought it was simply poor technique on my part (this was long before I had discovered B&B or Mantic's videos online). Very thin and watery. I was able to shave with it, though not particularly well. It seemed to be a significant downgrade from foamy-goo-in-a-can, so it was pretty much a turn-off for me as a Newbie (unfortunately).

However, the biggest problem I had with this cream was that, after shaving, my face and neck turned bright, hot red! :blushing: Every time I tried using it, I had the same reaction. I finally gave up due to the discomfort. For the longest time, I was afraid that I would be allergic to any almond shave cream, but mercifully, this has turned out not to be the case. The almond was not the ingredient I was allergic to.

YMMV, but I would caution: Newbies beware! There are far far better products out there!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
DMS;178334 said:
My wife picked some of this up for me at Tuesday Morning for about $6. I like the Taylor's almond cream and gave this one a try for comparison.

Lather was ok once I used 3x the normal amount of cream compared to others, scent was nice, but it burned a little on my face and I've never experienced that with a shaving product before.

It gave me an ok shave and I was glad to see my face wasn't red from a reaction afterward. This tub will go to the back of the drawer for emergency use only.

My only complaint is that my face was burning and red after the first swipe of the brush.
I had a horrible reaction to it, but as it was my first wetshave cream, I wasn't sure if it was normal or not (not)
After half a tub (yeah, I am a stubborn and cheap bastard) I took it back to the salon, and got a brush stand, and a tube of Jack Black beard lube.

No breakouts or anything lasting, just a bright read face any place that was covered with lather.
Test it out before you cover your face.
I picked up a 2oz tub for $8.50 in my trip to Vegas.
Tried it out at the hotel and this is what I experienced:
Product has a great almond smell.
Has very poor lather.
I had to keep adding more and more to my brush and I still couldn't get a good lather (using Muhler silvertip brush).
It has a burning affect on the skin for a few seconds (not pleasant).
It does provide good lubrication.
It moisturized my skin pretty well. Face didn't feel tight after shave.

I would not recommend this product unless you care more about the scent than the shave.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Compare these reviews with those of the Caswell-Massey shaving soap, and there is one obvious conclusion: Caswell-Massey should just stop making shaving products. That these are packaged and sold as high end, quality products is just ridiculous.
The absolute worst shaving cream I've ever used! Takes forever to lather up and that's with half the jar on the brush... big, big mistake, never again!!
Ok, so a local Knife store that has been family owned sense 1861 started carrying this cream (they have had Merkurs but only in the tubs for $16, I trusted them but for space reasons and not wanting to commit to the tub I had them order me the 3.5 oz tube (for no extra charge) so when I got home I checked here and felt like I got ripped off. Well when the cream came I knew I'd love the smell but from fear of the lather I only used it to give Co. Conk a stronger scent. Then tonight I was wondering why that store would carry an inferior product made by one of the oldest companies in the country. So I decided to try it tonight by itself and here are my thoughts.

First impression it smells great, hands down one of the best smelling almond creams I have encountered.My B&B Essential whipped up a quarter sized dab of cream into a rich, thick, great smelling lather in about 45 seconds (it takes me about 30 for Proraso) but it was noticeably sparse. I trusted there was enough for a shave and I was right, but it was close. I had enough for 3 good passes (but not enough for 4-I checked) so I think it works. The Derby Extra in my Red S.S. slid across my face with ease. So I went in with very low expectations and I have to say it gave me a shave with nothing to be desired. If you can get it cheap at Marshals/T.J. Maxx/A.J. Wright etc. try it. They have made an ok shaving product provided you use enough, and if you really want the gobs and gobs of lather try using more lather or as a super lather cream with Co. Conk Almond soap to make a great product.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Price $3 at Marshall's.

I love the scent, smells like amaretto.

It doesn't lather, and leaves an oily residue on the brush.

It does work fine when used as you would any non-lathering cream. That oily residue that I mentioned above, instead coats your face and makes the razor glide. They should've just packaged the thing as just that; a non-lather cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Price: $2.00 for one sampler and $3.00 for the other at TJ Max.

Quality: Certainly not above average. About the same as Palmolive.

Scent: Fantastic almond scent.

Latherability: I can't give it a zero just because others have. It does lather eventually. It takes about 3-4 times as much effort as Proraso.

Efficacy: Below average.

Moisturizing: Not sure, since I had to use lots of alum to stop all the bleeders. It also burned a little.

Packaging: Tub was fairly small and brush is bigger than the opening.

If you can get the sampler for $2-$3 it has a nice after shave balm included that I like. Otherwise you would be better off donating the $$ to charity and leave it on the shelf. Any more than that and you would be better off buying Palmolive. I do think it is better than many of the cheap soaps however. If you are simply into "cheap" it is also a good buy and certainly a lot less than what a good cream costs.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
This was a bad choice. I bought it because I was running low on my other cream, and this was available. Maybe some people like the scent, but it reminded me too much of cake frosting. It looks like it too, but don't eat it! Just kidding. It lathers terrible, even with more than normal on the brush. It works okay, but I wouldn't buy it again.:thumbdown
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
My wife picked some of this up for me at Tuesday Morning for about $6. I like the Taylor's almond cream and gave this one a try for comparison.

Lather was ok once I used 3x the normal amount of cream compared to others, scent was nice, but it burned a little on my face and I've never experienced that with a shaving product before.

It gave me an ok shave and I was glad to see my face wasn't red from a reaction afterward. This tub will go to the back of the drawer for emergency use only.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Agree agree. Great smell, not so good everything else. I will use it however, on non-critical days, like a weekend.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have been pretty disappointed with pretty much everything from C-M. It's good they sell Musgo and some Trumper stuff in our store here.

The Santalwood or whatever C-M calls its other scent is not a good cream either

Cheers
Ivo
delicious scent, yes, lovely packaging, at least to me, but otherwise, lay off this brand, because you'll be disappointed.

Jeff
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Although I had read the reviews here before, I stumbled across a sampler of this stuff the other day at TJ Maxx for $10. I figured it was worth a try. Apparently, I was wrong. I had the same issues with lathering that everybody else has had. I even added more cream for the second pass, still did not do much. This was a major disappointment, especially after enjoying the CE Almond so much more the day before. Even the pre-shave oil that came with it seemed to be of less than spectacular quality. My suggestion, stay away!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
Well I was able to get a lather out of this cream but I have to use twice as much product and a bit more water than normal. I love the scent and the slickness was better than average. It does take more work than the others and is not necessarily worth the extra work but seeing as you use twice the ammount I will be done with the smallish tub twice as fast!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
This is probably one of the worse shave creams I have tired. It's unfortunate because you expect the nations oldest personal grooming company to rival Trumpers.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
I tried it once, and hurt my right forearm and wrist, back in November, trying to generate a lather. So, after having learned about lathering, I gave this cream one more try this morning.

My major complaint is: that it is much too difficult to get a decent lather generated. Latherability? This product, in my opinion is a very poor performer in this area.

Once you finally give up, and start shave, I could see through the lather to my skin, in some areas, with air bubbles abound.

I did find it quite moisturising, but in the end all the other qualities of this shave cream are not enough to save it from the trash.

As far as efficacy goes, I couldn't tell the difference between this product giving me a closer shave or Nancy Boy.

Packaging doesn't play a role in my purchasing decisions of a shave cream, so I gave it a zero.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)