What's new

Caswell-Massey 1752 Shave Soap

Item Description

Well, it would appear that I have spent $16 for a nice little wooden bowl, because the contents is definitely not shaving soap. I gave this soap a few swirls with my damp little Rooney travel brush (the bowl was too small for the big brush), and coated the bristles with what would normally be plenty of soap. The densely packed Rooney holds plenty of water, and I've always been able to muster good lather directly on the ol' face. I proceeded to lather one side of my face -- so far so good. The Almond scent was pleasant but not overpowering, but the lather was thin. Still, I thought I was well on my way. But I turned away from the mirror for a second, and when I looked again, the lather was all but gone! I tried again, with the same result. I rinsed my face, and tried a different approach, leaving a bit more water on the brush. Same result. I tried it with less water. Same result. I tried lathering in a separate bowl. Same result. I don't know how they shaved in 1752, but it was apparently without lather!

Anyhoo -- I finally decided the lather wasn't going to get any better, and took a swipe at one side of my face. I may as well have been shaving with nothing but water. I rinsed off and got myself a nice shave with Musgo Real instead. Life is too short to waste time on a product like this.

Latest reviews

Pros: Wonderful scent! Fancy wooden bowl.
Cons: I only get one line for this part of the review?
I received the sandalwood scented soap as a gift from my wife since she knows I love sandalwood, my first thoughts were 'holy cow this soap smells amazing!'

I tried it out the next day, I lather in a scuttle so I loaded my brush and got to work building my lather, almost as fast as I could work up the lather it would disappear, I finally had enough built up to get to shaving using my go-to gillette NEW with a fresh shark blade. Aside from the lather all but vanishing on my face there seemed to be NO lubrication to this soap, the razor actually hopped along on my face as I tried to shave. Needless to say I looked a bit like I did my first time trying a straight razor, nicks, weepers, razor burn...

Eventually I healed up and just this morning, many months later I tried it again, the scent drew me in for another go..

Bad idea!
The razor was grabbing again as I shaved, I promptly gave up, rinsed and re lathered with proraso cream, shave went perfectly from there on out.

Bottom line?
The scent lures you in, like the Sirens in Greek mythology and like the Sirens, this soap will leave you battered and bloody.

Avoid the siren call of the scent of this soap, you have been warned!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Even with extremely soft water, this soap will not hold a lather more than about 30 or 45 seconds.

This IS some very slick soap, even after the lather disappears from your face, the slickness remains, in fact, it is actually kind of hard to rinse off of your face with soft water. Unfortunately, that leads to dry/tight skin.

The scent is great, and you can fit a puck of C&E Sienna into the used bowl, so it is not a total waste of money.

Unlike one reviewer, I think it makes a decent shower soap.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
I have to echo all of the sentiments as the other posters. I used the Sandalwood soap and while it offers and excellent scent the performance is just sub-par. The lather starts off OK, but quickly dissipates. I can feel that there is a nice slickness at the beginning of this soap when I shave, but it just seems to evaporate into thin air after a couple of minutes. Compounded by my naturally dry skin and this is just not a good combination. Too bad because the smell is wonderful
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)