What's new

Castle Forbes Lime Oil

Item Description

PRICE: at $35 a pop, this is the most expensive shaving cream I've run across, so my no means is it cheap.

Quality: The stuff is well put together using aloe, coconut acid, glycerin, and Lime EO, so it provides a great cushion for your shave. However, it does look a bit funky. It is very thick and goopy, and their are sections that are almost gel like.
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Just look at the way it sticks to the finger, it has a very heavy consistency

Scent: As soon as you open the tub you are slapped in the face by the strong lime scent. It is the Best smelling lime scent I've come across, much better than T&H west indian limes. It fills the bathroom and provides a fantastic scent throughout the shave. Out of all my creams, this one smells the best IMHO.

Latherability: This provides gobs and gobs of lather. Right up there with all the T's and everything else I've tried. What I like is how heavy this lather is, very thick and creamy, yet still very slick. The only creams I've used that give better cushion are Taylor's avocado and Nancy Boy.
On the brush
displayimage.php

On my arm
displayimage.php

this was after one pass of the brush, giving a thick covering that let's the razor glide over the skin.

Efficacy: Hey, it works. Period. Gives great cushion and a smooth shave. The only reason I took a point off is if you get to aggressive with your razor, the strong lime oil content can start to give a slight sting to the skin, but nothing painful.

Moisturizing Properties: That same lime oil that makes it sting also leaves your skin very hydrated and very supple. If you don't like to use a balm, this would be a great cream as it leaves your skin with tons of moisture.

Packagine: Are you kidding me? At $35 this thing better come in a glass jar with precious gems on the lid. Instead they put this great cream in a flat, wide plastic jar with a sticker label. It's like an oversized hockey puck. Here it is next to Taylor's avocado
displayimage.php

I'd hope they could do at least a bit better than that for the premium price you pay.

Overall: The best scented cream I have used. Builds a beautiful thick, moisturizing lather. However at $35, it's not cheap to give it a whirl, and by no means a good value. Worth a try if you love the lime scent, but not $15-$25 better than the other less expensive creams. I'd get a sample before you take the plunge.

Latest reviews

Pros: scent
Cons: price
I love lime and this is probably my favourite lime cream and my favourite cream overall.

Lovely thick and beautiful lather using only a small amount of cream. I could stand there and smell it all day.

A top shave every time.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great close, irritation free shave
Cons: Difficult to work with
This cream gives probably the best shave I have ever had, and I've used several high end creams. My complaint is that it is very difficult to work with. It is very stiff. I prefer face lathering, but it simply will not adhere to my face. In a mug, there is always a lump left that has to be dealt with. If a put a dab on my brush, it either falls off or I'm left with a small lump after lathering. I must say, though, once you get this cream lathered up it is thick and rich and provides a wonderful shave. UPDATE: I have solved the stiffness issue by treating this as a soap and swirling my brush in the tub. A little cream on the tips of the brush and I get a great face lather.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I had been putting off buying this product for a while because of the price. I finally gave in and purchased it from QED. After trying it this morning I don't know why I waited. This has definitely moved into the number one spot. After seeing how you get and how small of an amount is needed for my typical three pass shave, it's well worth the price I paid for it. The lather explodes on your face and has the most cushioning of all the creams I have (IMO). I love the scent. To me it's not too overpowering. I will definitely purchase one of the other scents in the Castle Forbes line-up. I am definitely a Castle Forbes fan now. My top creams now are: Castle Forbes Lime, Truefitt-Hill 1805, Taylor's Avacado, Trumper's Coconut, and Acca Cappa.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)