What's new

Castle Forbes Lime Aftershave Balm

D
Castle Forbes Lime is by far my favorite aftershave, but the price is absurdly high, even if you consider how little you actually have to use in any given day.

So, as an experiment, the last time I was at Whole Foods I bought ingredients for what I thought would be a simple and reasonable substitute. This is what I mixed up:

1 part Aloe Vera (Jason's, 98%)
1 part basic Witch hazel (Humphreys)
Lime Essential Oil to "taste" (best I could buy at that store, which was about $10)

I basically added lime oil drop-by-drop, finding a titration that smelled best. I also added a couple drops of orange oil, since I had some sitting around.

I have to say that, for me, this formulation is indistinguishable from the CF stuff, and I now have enough raw materials to last me a couple years.
Just wanted to say I didn't care for this balm. I have dry skin and I'm more concerned if a balm leaves me "tight and dry" rather than concerned with "greasy feeling" oily skin people get. This balm did leave me dry and tight within 10 minutes of application. I had to reach for my cheaper more moisturizing balms. I tried both the dry and wet face applications and both gave the same negative results. The wet face application left me with a white residue after drying. The scent is nice and fades as quick as any other lime. There was some short lived soothing properties, but there is no moisturizing properties I'm aware of. If you have dry skin, be careful of this one. :thumbdown
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Just tried this with CF Lime shave cream.

Price - $50 is a lot but as long as you're going to use it all up, not a big deal as you only need 2 or 3 drops so it will last a long time. The problem for me is I always change things around and seldom use up a whole bottle of anything.

Quality is top notch -

I don't really have a problem with razor burn but regardless, this is very calming to the skin

Cooling sensation - I don't expect a balm to "cool", I expect it to soothe and moisturize

Scent - This was a disappointment - it's not horrible but also was not a real burst of lime scent - smelled a bit clinical but at least not overly sweet. The scent doesn't last long anyway.

It definitely works realy well. It absorbs beautifully and is not greasy - my skin is a little on the oily side but this is one of the few balms or lotions that does not cause a problem for me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This really is high quality stuff, I love it. It's very light and is absorbed very quickly. Although the initial cost seems high I've been using this as an aftershave balm and general moisturiser for the last five months (together with C&E Nomad & occassionally Nivia aftershave balm) and there's still over half a bottle remaining so, although initially the price seems very high, a little goes along way. The Lime scent is fanastic but, as others have said, fades very quickly which is a shame and why I gave it 8/10.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Oh this stuff got me good.
I love it!

Castle Forbes Lime is by far may favourite Balm AND Cream.

The scent is just heaven for me.
Very nice slightly sweet lemon that I would love to drink :w00t:
Not that dry lemon you get from AOS,
that is just exactly lemon EO.
If you like the cream the balm will do very well.

The Balm is very efficiant. You will only need a little,
espacially when applied to damp face.
The soothing begins instantaniously and will last a while.
The scent however will fade after a few minutes.

Excellent product, but very pricey indeed
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I was offered some sample vials of CF Lime ASB with a purchase of Tabac Aftershave up at Colonial Drug in Cambridge, MA. It was my first experience with a witch hazel based product, and it has more of an initial 'sting' as opposed to a burn. Its a subtle difference, but you'll get it. The initial scent is more of a candy lime, VERY similar to Royall Lyme if you're familiar with that AS. However, it wears down to a very rich lime, removing itself of the initial candy smell. Its not long lasting however, and if you put it on in the morning, it will probably be gone by noon.

Excellent moisturizing qualities but not greasy, and its great at closing up nicks after shaving, much more so than an alcohol-based AS.

Recommended!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Yes, this is expensive. But, remember that you're getting a 150ml bottle (not that this makes it much less expensive...). Also, you only have to use a couple drops. A little definitely goes a long way. Still, realize that you are going to pay a premium price for a premium product.

Performance-wise, a couple drops coated my face. It calmed my face down almost as soon as it hit it. At first I was worried that it was going to be greasy and I was going to have to wipe off my new, $50 balm. A few moments later, it soaked right in and left my face feeling smooth and moist. No redness, nice lime scent, supple skin.

My only "complaint" is that the lime fades fairly quickly. Then again, this is a balm and not a EDT.

If you want premium limey goodness, and are willing to pay the premium price, you will not be disapointed.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I was really impressed with CF Lime ASB. When it first came out it was pretty think and I thought it would be greasy. To my surprise it went on smooth and absorbed incredibly quickly. I'm not usually a lime fan but the smell was pleasant and not overly candied sweet like Lime Skinfood. As an ASB it works great and if you're a lime fan then it smells great too. The only real downside is how darn expensive the stuff is. :frown:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Agree with above. I love CF. This bottle will last a long time. I use it a a regular moisturizer when I need it.
I admit to being a Castle Forbes groupie. I love lime and no one does lime quite like Castle Forbes. It seems as though their products are absolutely top quality, and their aftershave balm is no exception.

The first thing that hits you when you open the bottle is that incredible lime scent. Sharp and pure. THIS is what lime should smell like! The balm looks like a milk, but it's thicker. Nearly a cream. It's just thin enough to pour from the bottle.

CF balm carries a steep price tag. $50 for 4.4oz or 125ml. But keep in mind you use 2-3 drops. That's all it takes. This morning I shaved with Mama Bear lime soap and my Futur opened to 3 - I wanted BBS today with minimal fuss. I applied some Boosters iced lime for that alcohol sting. I love that. :biggrin: Then followed with 2-3 drops of CF lime balm. Oh, yeah! My face feel great. The balm is not oily or slick, and immediately sinks into the skin leaving nothing behind but a comfortable face and that great Castle Forbes lime scent. Which, 2 hours later, I am still smelling. It's there. Not overpowering, but definitely there.

There is basically no cooling sensation, since there is no alcohol or menthol in this. The only cooling is from evaporation. I n/a-ed the alcohol burn choice because hey, no alcohol!

Is it worth $50? I dinged it a little there because I don't think there is anything that is actually worth $50 for 4.4oz. But keep in mind that I paid it, I'm glad I did and I will again when it runs out. So for me it is worth it and based on the small amount needed. that $50 bottle of balm will last a while!

If you want to baby your face and like lime, this is your stuff. Go for it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)