What's new

Casswell-Massey's 1752 Sandalwood

Pros: Nice scent, quality product, Preps my face nicely
This was the very first premium shave cream product I ever bought, and I was duly impressed. It gave my skin a tingly sensation that made me feel 'ready' for the task at hand, and I honestly felt it put the mass-market product I had been using previously to shame. I have bought it again, and it has been in my rotation for some seven years now.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I stopped by the Model Pharmacy today because I was low on my TOB Shave Cream and needed something to carry me over till I could get some more. In the past my Sandalwood cream of choice has been TOB or AOS. I saw this and picked it up for $17 for a tub. I came home and before using it I read the reviews and was unimpressed with them.
Anyway...I didn't shave this morning so decided to shave this afternoon so I prepped and warmed up my mug and used a little less water in my mug than usual because the cream is pretty thin compared to my usual creams. It did seem to whip up nicely and went on pretty good but I did notice that the remaining lather in the mug disapated pretty quick while I was making my first pass. I whipped it back up to some decent peaks a second time and applied and the lather in the mug did the same thing so you have to keep after it to use it. I did a three pass shave, actually two in my face and three on my neck. I think the oils in the cream lend itself to a very nice shave as afterwards my face felt nice and smooth and it seemed to give some moisture to my skin. Now as far as the fragrance......it is called Sandalwood but I can not really smell the fragrance so I am not all that impressed. I will finish the tub but I just don't see it making it into my regular rotation.
I really wanted this to be a have to have cream since I have a local business that carries it but I will not repeat.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Hello all, I am new to this forum, so I wanted to dive in and add my two cents to this thread. Before using the CM Sandalwood shaving cream, I had been using the AoS Sandalwood which I found to be an invigorating scent. After receiving the CM catalog and seeing how much more cheaper (price wise) it was, I thought I'd give it a whirl and buy the kit (pre-shave, cream, and after shave balm). Unfortunately, after about a weeks worth of use, I just couldn't get over the scent and the result of my shave compared to the AoS version. So I gave it to a friend that used it longer than I did, but too couldn't quiet get attached to the scent. Im getting ready to purchace the Taylor's version, and hope I have a better experience.
I picked up the shaving cream as part of a package along with oil and aftershave. The shaving cream smells like banana flavoring. It does not lather up at all. I kept having to re dip my brush to get enough lather tp complete my shave. I threw out the cream. I have kept the oil and aftershave which I liked.
I have to say that this is the first "real" shave cream I have used. It was cheap and i bought it off Ebay for 12$. It lathers up okay with my kingsley pure badger brush and produces a slick lather with my gillette adjustable DE. I recently started shaving the old school way and I really do enjoy this cream. It leaves the face feeling very moisturized and has a great scent. I would reccommend this cream to any new wetshaver, even if the lather isn't anything special, and because of the price. And oh, you get 8 oz instead of the 5.3 that taylor and trumper offer.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Okay I am a novice wet shaver, and in my desperate desire to indulge in the experience of my first wet shave I ran accross the street to a caswell massey store and purchased this product. I have to say that i was not aware of this forum.

The amazing scent was what sold me on it. The lather created is average compared to some of the lather I have seen on pics and videos.

Results were definintely better than in my previous life as a non wet shaver. So I am satisfied for now but want a better experience after reading these forums. Hence I am ordering some Taylor shaving creams.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Despite Caswell-Massey's claims, this cream is not suitable for both brush and brushless use. The latherability of this cream is anemic, at best.

It does work exceedingly well, though, when used without a brush. Those who enjoy a slick, lubricating shave will enjoy this cream if they like the scent. Truly, the shave is more akin to a shave soap shave: not much cushion, very slick. It shines when it's time to do some blade buffing.

The sandalwood scent is intense (the most intense I've found). As Kujo noted, the scent actually stays around after you've shaved. In fact, if you're the type of fellow who avoids strong cologne/aftershave smells, you may find that this shave cream is all you need for a nice, very light, sandalwood scent for the rest of the day. It actually has some persistence. I enjoy this aspect of the cream. Others might not.

In sum, if you want or expect a dense. lush lather, you will be sorely disappointed with this cream. When used as a brushless cream, however, it provides a very close shave, and the scent is great.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I picked up a tub at tuesday mornings for $5. I mean for that cheap I'll try anything. I would have to say that the scent was very strong and pleasant. I didn't get a great lather out of it but it was still good enough. Also very slick on my face which allowed my merkur HD to just slide along smoothly. The moisturizing properties were good but nothing better than the 3 T's or any other product i have tried. And for the regular price I would suggest not getting it unless you absolutely love sandalwood and you've never tried this one out.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
:mad: I could have kicked myself in the *** after I had bought this cream 2 years ago. Except for the scent, moisturization, and the packaging which I must say were very good, C & M sandalwood cream was one of the biggest disappointments I ever experienced in all the years I've been shaving. Granted, it smells nice, and moisturizes very well, but the lather for me anyway, was rotten to the core, the price was way out of line in the store I'd bought it at, and on top of that, it gave me some irritation on my neck and chin. I hope I don't offend anyone with this comment of mine. With all due respect to Caswell-Massey, they should make an attempt to improve this product.

Jeff
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I can't say I'm a fan at all.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
My first review thread, so I'll piggy-back on Brother Kyle's format.

I got this tub of Sandalwood from a B&B member, but had been eyeing it in one of the local OK City shops for a while. Historically, I haven't been into Sandalwood scents, but historically I wasn't into wet-shaving either :cool: .

Price - I've seen 8 oz tubs of this stuff go for about $16. Like I said, I picked up this and some other Sandalwood products from a fellow B&B member. I'd consider re-stocking at that price.

Scent - If you like Sandalwood, this is the cream for you. It is a stronger scent than the Crabtree & Evelyn and I found it lingers around some after the shave.

Latherability - This is not a thick cream like Taylor or Trumpers. Its consistency is more like the Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort or Nancy Boy. It didn't produce the thick meringue-like peaks I've enjoyed with the three T creams, however, once lathered up in my bowl, I got 4 very good passes out of it each time.

Moisturizing Properties - This is what I liked best about it. The cream glistens in the tub and on your face. It moisturizes great and my blade (Merkur HD with Feathers) just glided across my face. There's an abundance of oil in this product and it helped make this a great shave!

Packaging - Black plastic tub--never been a deciding factor for me (although I do like the smoky, amber glass that the C&E creams come in:cool: )

Quality / Efficacy - Good stuff. I got it for a good price and will certainly buy more when I run out
Top Bottom