What's new

CAR A/S Moisture Cream (Peppermint)

This balm is sold by Enchante, of Method Shaving fame. I live in Austin, so I went down and met Charles Roberts for the first time. He definitely is passionate about his products and methods; I can see why some people think he's a little over the top. I'm not really sold on the rest of Method Shaving, but this balm is excellent. I usually just use witch hazel in the summer, but I needed something extra moisturizing for use in the winter months. This works better than anything else I've found on the market. As per Charles's directions, I apply a little dab with my fingertips and work it in with a little water. It keeps my face from drying out all day and has helped with razor burn quite a bit.

Charles told me that the peppermint is his top seller, and I can see why. It has a nice refreshing scent and a nice cooling effect. I should note that Charles mixes the peppermint oil into the balm right when you order it, so the scent may fade after some time.

My only complaint about this product is the price -- at $35 it costs more than most of the items in my shave den. However, you use very little product each time, so the 2 oz tub should last me a good 6-9 months.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
- please note this review is for the lavender balm and not the peppermint.

I did finally received the tonic and balm a couple of weeks ago - thanks to Canadian customs for taking their sweet time - and have been using both since with great results. The results are pretty clear thusfar, better skin tone, less irritation and generally healthier skin. The tonic effectively and quickly resolves any burn or irritation. The balm has more long term results.

The first couple of applications were a little "greasy" for lack of a better term. However, after moderating the amount of balm, and I believe with consistent longer use, it seems to be working better over time and I don't notice this anymore. Maybe it's a product that takes a few uses to absorb? Not sure about that, but regardless I think it's a great product for those with either sensitive skin and especially those with dry skin and will be particularly effective in the winter dry weather. I'm now using both the tonic and balm under my eyes with positive results - bonus. The only place I don't use it - and you could I suppose - is on my forhead since I have combination skin and I feel it isn't necessary there or warranted.

Regarding smell, the conditioning balm is lavender, but I can't really notice it over the "smell" of the balm itself...if that makes sense. It doesn't smell like lavender to me, rather more like a cocoa butter. The tonic smells great, burgemot (sp?), but is subdued and doesn't clash with my cologne or last particularly long. BTW, they offer both in a variety of sents, I selected the above, and will likely try something else when I re-order. Not because I didn't like either, but because I like to try new ones.

So, just to summarize, they're great products. I will be continuing to purchase them when I run out, but I can't see that happening for some time since you use very little per use. Some may find it expensive ($35 for 2 oz. balm and $15 for tonic plus shipping). However, given the small quantity per use I find it very cost effective, especially when considering the results.

Cheers,

Doug
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Simply the best. Pure magic. Expensive, but worth it. I've dropped cash on so many aftershaves balms and the only thing that even comes close on a cost/performance ratio is Wesley & Scott by shaving essentials. It keeps the face moisturized for a good few hours. Superfood for the face... ahhh. Also it's doubles as a nice night time face moisturizer. A must for the winter months.

I still like my alcohol splashes after a nice straight shave, but when my face starts to get even a hint of dryness this is the "creme de la creme" "miracle cure." Props to Chas, he is quite the alchemist. It doesn't get any better than this.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This stuff seems a little pricey, but goes a long way. Nothing else I've tried comes close. I haven't tried this in the hot Texas summer yet, though.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This stuff is a joy to apply. The scent is definitely peppermint, and on me, lasts a couple of hours. The feeling is creamy cooling goodness. Very tingly, no alcohol. Soothing.

They say a little goes a long way. I dab my fingertip in and put about 5-6 dots on my face and neck, and then rub them all in. I don't know how some get by with a "pea-sized application". That doesn't work for me.

The price is steep for 2 oz. but it's used sparingly.

I don't use it regularly, but it's in my rotation when I feel very dried out or need some healing. Today, I had a rough shave. I used Speick as an A/S and then, because that scent is so foul, followed it up with some of my Hydrolast Peppermint. Tomorrow, my face should ready to face my newly acquired gold-slant!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
purchased the hydrolast peppermint after reading this/these reviews and i have to say that i concur - this stuff rocks

wltd

glta
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is really nice to apply after a long shaving session. This product helps your face to feel good all day long. I have a couple of aftershaves, but if I feel any irritation during shaving, this is the only one I reach for.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
and am glad I did so. I see what all of the hype is about. This is the best AS I have found to fight burn/irritation, bar none. It must be used on a wet face and quite sparingly. It sinks into the face completely and leaves a nice, smooth feeling after it dries.

I do have a couple of gripes. No scent is nothing to write home about. It doesn't quite mask the underlying scent of the balm itself, which is slightly sickly smelling to me. Use too much and you get a greasy film akin to what you would get from a heavier balm such as L'Occitane. or AOS, only worse.

Used properly, which isn't rocket science, this is a fantastic AS. It is one of the few products touted around here that I feel really lives up to the hype. Measuring the efficacy of an AS is a lot more difficult than say with a shaving soap but a couple of uses with this product was all it took to really see how it stands out from the crowd. I'll be tempted to pick up another jar in a different scent long before this jar is empty.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This stuff is fantastic. I have the Lime & Green tea and love the smell. It also dries very matte. Plus I can't see using up the whole jar for over a year.

Chris
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
On my last visit to Enchante, Jean gave some samples of the A/S in Sandalwood and the Lime without asking. The first time I tried was like an epiphany...WOW!!!! This stuf is by far the best moisturizing A/S in the market. I also use coral skin food but it does not even compare. So far the samples have lasted three week and there is still enough left for another three weeks. There's no doubt I will return to get the 2oz size. Now I want to try the Peppermint. Excellent product and well worth the money.

Rafael
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Of all the A/S balms/creams I've tried, this one is heads & shoulders above any other product. Period. It is insanely cold, insanely moisturizing and it does fight razor irritation like nothing else I've tried. Ironically, on the first day I tried this product, I got a little aggressive on the neck area and after the shave, I rubbed a little of this on my neck and YOWSERS!...Within a few seconds my neck was cooling down and the irritation was literally non-existant. I'm trying, honestly trying to figure out something to be critical of with this A/S balm but I can't find anything. It is by far & away the best A/S product I've ever tried.

And if you're after a cooling sensation, imagine immersing your face in ice water after shaving with Proraso. :w00t:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
In a word......AWESOME!!! This + Proraso shave cream = COOOOOOOOOLD, COLD COLD COLD COLD. I actually wish the peppermint scent was a bit stronger.

To me, this is the KING OF AFTERSHAVES!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I obtained a pod of this balm through a trade.

If you took Crisco and whipped it up in a blender, you would have the general idea of the consistency of this balm. While it does spread easily, it takes some work to thin it out on your face. If you've got a case of razor burn, rubbing anything into your tender skin is painful.

I found the scent to be more Peppery than pure peppermint.

This balm was not soothing at all to me. It was immediately washed off with warm water and then followed by a cold water rinse in order to get rid of the pain.

My face was beet and angry red after the experience, but I am not allergic to anything. This item will be on my trade list since I fully intend to never repeat the experience again.

-joedy
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Great product.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have used both the Peppermint and the Lime & Green Tea scents of this product. Both are excellent products. They moisturize, sooth razor burn, and with continued use, promote an overall skin health like no other product I have used.

While the price is not fantastic, it is not at all bad. It is easy to be mislead when paying $35 for a couple of ounces of product, however, when you do the math, it should come out to a maximum of 15-16 cents per use (low estimation of only 8 months use per tub).

Without being asked, CAR gave me free samples of three different scents of his a/s skin conditioner.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I just got my mini-tub from Howard--thanks!--and used it for the first time this morning. Its quite different from the Nancy Boy A/S which I've been using this week. Let me compare the 2:

NB: less "greasy," nicer scent, nice "face feel"

CAR: "thicker," much more moisturizing, leaves my face feeling a bit oily?

This is clearly a superior product, and for me a great choice for winter when the air is drier and I need the mositure on my face. But. . .I can sense that the NB may come out on top as my "go to" A/S. We'll see. . .
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This little "pod" of aftershave moisture cream is really quite a gem. Its humble appearance mask its true greatness.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Twist off the cap, and before you even get a chance to process the appearance of the product - you are hit by a wall of peppermint scent.

displayimage.php

Now... this stuff not only IMMEDIATLY kick razor irritation and soothes the skin, but it has an INTENSE cooling sensation - almost as if you have plunged your face in ice water. Not only does this product kick razor burn and irritation in the pants... but it moisturizes the hell out of your face - I mean SERIOUSLY moisturizes deep down - yet NEVER leaves your face oily or "filmy" - so this can be used even by those with oily skin. To use this product, you basically wet your face, with water or tonic/hydrosol, then apply a very, very small dab of this to your face, and proceed to massage this all over your face (forehead, nose the works) and neck. Use this product for one week... and you'll notice clearer, softer, and healthier skin. In my opinion this product is the best of the best - as far as aftershaves and moisture creams go.

displayimage.php

At $35 for 2oz, this product may not seem like a good deal - but when you consider how little of this product you need/use, one small jar will go a long... long way. I think I could get 1 year out of this jar.

Rating Scale – Each Quality from 0-2 (2 being best)

Price – 2
Ability to Reduce Razor Burn/Irritaiton – 2
Cooling Sensation– 2
Efficacy – 2
Moisturizing properties – 2

Total – EGAD! 10 out of 10
Top Bottom