What's new

Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Pros: scent
Cons: duration of scent
I received a bottle nearly 100% full in a PIF. Having developed a dislike for Pinaud VIBR, I was hoping for something better. This is it. Clean, islandy smell, reminds me of the bay rum my grandpa had in the medicine cabinet. No burn and left my skin feeling refreshed and smooth. The scent was gone within two hours, which is sad, but while it remained I was transported. It should make a nice combo with their Bay Rum soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I was intrigued by the descriptions of Bay Rum and wanted to try it.

The alcohol burn is interesting. No moisturizing here.

The scent is a strong clove scent reminding one of Christmas or Thanksgiving dessert.

The scent fades fairly quickly.

It is nice to top it off with a second AS,Lime Sec.

It is very much a YMMV product, not for me.
Interesting experiment.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Great scent, witch hazel
Cons: Scent does not last all day
I just got some of this stuff a few days ago based on some of the other reviews that I have read. Fantastic scent! I have tried a couple of other bay rums and thought they were ok but this one is awesome. It felt really good with a slight burn but it made my skin feel great. I can actually feel my skin is smoother than usual after using it. The only thing I wish it did better is that the scent starts to wane after about an hour and is pretty much gone after 4 or 5. I wish I could notice it for the entire day and into the night.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Outstanding scent; really soothes and tones skin
Cons: None
This is not the clove & spice laden AS you get from Clubman Bay Rum (which is one of my favorites). This actually smells like bay leaves. Complex scent that has some staying power; I get spice notes, coffee, and a faint odor of autumn leaves burning (not an acrid, smoky odor...but nice). There's a very pleasant warming sensation when applied to face. Not the heat blast you get from Cat O' Nine Tails and certainly not the raging alcohol burn you get from Clubman Bay Rum. This stuff feels wonderful going on your face and neck, yet you will get feedback if you over cooked your shave. Where this product really shines, though, is long after your shave...your skin feels great all day. A wonderful product that's in the rotation. Enjoy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: No clove,
Cons: expensive for quantity
one of the best bay rums, love the lack of clove scent.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
CC feels okay after a shave. However, the scent is cloying. I've read several reviews which state that CC is not overpowering on the clove side of things but it smells like pure clove oil. I noticed that the label has recently changed and I wonder if the formula changed as well. I am very disappointed with this AS after.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Pros: True to its namesake
Cons: Smells like Christmas-season air freshener
I was lured by the comments of how this aftershave might be good for people who traditionally did not like Bay rum. Was I wrong…

This stuff smells like heavily spiced fruit juice concentrate. I'm torn between serving it on the rocks with a shot of 151 and cranking up Crosby's I'll Be Home For Christmas. Subtlety has been thrown to the wind here. I'm saving mine to pour in a bowl as a bathroom air freshener for the holidays because is not going back on my face.

And at $5 per ounce lets just say there are other options.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Pros: The best Bay Rum scent EVER!!!
Cons: They aren't coming out with a balm any time soon
I am a HUGE Bay Rum FREAK who used Burt's Bees Bay Rum Balm for over 15 years. When they discontinued my all time favorite Bay Rum aftershave I was GRAVELY disappointed. During my search for a substitute, I have purchased and tossed out many bottles of foul smelling slop. I think I would cry if I though about all the money I wasted trying to find a replacement for Burt's Bees Bay Rum Balm.
When I first heard about Captain's Choice, in an online review, I immediately went to their website, was impressed by their story, and purchased a bottle. Even though I'm not a fan of splashes, IT IS THE BEST BAY RUM SCENT THAT I HAVE EVER TRIED!!! I liked it so much that I contacted the manufacturer directly to ask if they had any plans for a balm. Unfortunately, to my great frustration, I was informed that they had no immediate plans for a balm. Nevertheless, I will keep Captain's Choice splash in permanent rotation and I will have a pair of fingers crossed at all times in the hopes that a balm will be forthcoming!!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Feels good
I haven't used an aftershave in 20 years because I could remember the unpleasantness of it on bad razor burns and such. I therefore had no idea what to expect in scent and feel and can not compare this to others.

I splash some on as soon as I got it to ask my wife what she thought. She was busy with something so all I could get was that it reminded her of spiced rum. I'm guess that this is what it is supposed to smell like. Personally, when I opened my sample I was tempted to drink it as it smelled so good. I have never smelled spiced rum so I can't compare. I spent some time smelling it and trying to think what it reminds me of and it reminds me of sipping mulled cider during the winter holidays. It's a good memory so that's a plus for me. I found the scent was still detectable after 4 hours. One other things that I had disliked about aftershaves was that it usually bothered my nose. I found this sample had no effect on my nose and that's another plus. I decided the next morning I'd give it a test.

The blade in my razor was showing signs of overuse and in need of replacing (nearly a week of once a day shave and one head shave) but I really wanted to test this product so I left the blade in and decided to go for some good old fashion razor burn. Instead of WTG,XTG (two directions) and AGT I went straight for AGT on first pass. It worked and I got bumps to prove it. I finished my shave with a BBS feel all over and cold rinsed my face. I skipped my usual witch hazel application and went straight for the Bay Rum. Holy moly that stung but surprisingly it lasted only about 10 seconds and was gone. My face dried quickly (maybe I didn't use enough) and I was prepared for that familiar drying out of skin and neck irritation to follow. It's been over two hours and my skin feels great.... not in a wow, it's not dry but in a wow, it's not dry but feels moisturized feeling! I also haven't had the need to start scratching up my neck because of the razor burns.

I am so pleased that after all these years I have discovered that I can wear an aftershave that makes me feel good and smell nice. I think it is a great smell for the cooler months and I am definitely planning on buying a bottle in the next month or so.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Fantastic scent; not overpowering
Cons: Wish it were slightly more moisturizing
This is my first Bay Rum experience so I can not make any comparisons to others. However, I have found that I am extremely fond of this scent and the product. I love the slight burn this gives after a shave...its not over the top and uncomfortable, but mild and warming. The scent is fantastic without being overpowering and stays close to home (i.e. no one has ever complained that I smell like I just bathed in the stuff, but I can catch a hint of it here and there followed immediately by a satisfied grin) for several hours (about 3 in my experience).

My only critique is that it does not seem to be the best moisturizer (this is compared to a homemade blend and Floid Blue...it wouldn't be fair to compare to Proraso ASB). This really is not a deal breaker for me, however. I have not been having any issues with dry skin and, if I began to, I suppose I could add a few more drops of glycerin to the mix. It certainly does not leave my face oily, which is nice.

Overall, I am thoroughly impressed with this product and will re-order prior to running out so that I will not have to go without it. I also thoroughly believe it is a value for the price. Excellent work, Captain!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent and soothing feeling
This is the first Bay Rum I have ever used. I decided to try this one after reading some reviews here, and boy I am glad I did.
The scent was wonderful and it really made my face feel great.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Best recipe I've ever tried!
I must have tried 6 different Bay Rum aftershaves and most were just O.K. Some smelled like those red-hot candies, some like cloves and cinnamon sticks and some like medicine. I received a sample of Captain's Choice and the first time I used it I was hooked. It has all the great qualities of a good Bay Rum without the annoying things that many add. I can only describe it as very natural with just the right amount of spiciness, rum and alcohol. This is also the first Bay Rum that my Wife said YUM!. It will be in permanent rotation indeed.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Soothing and comfortable
I've read through the other reviews and there is really nothing more I can add to the praises. So I will keep this review short and sweet.

This is the most comfortable after shave you will ever wear.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Crisp, clean, unique bay rum scent
Cons: None!
I received a sample of this bay rum from Scott, and I'm very happy with it! I don't live clovey bay rums, so this hits the spot. I usually use balms, but this does a great job for a splash. I really like the alcohol bite at the end! It burns in a good way--refreshing, not irritating. It's not as cheap as a drugstore splash/balm, but you get what you pay for. Excellent stuff.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent
Cons: None So Far
I really have to say this is my favorite bay rum.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, moisturizing effect, bang for your buck
Have you ever tried a Bay Rum aftershave and found it smelling too much like Djarum blacks or Christmas? I have as well and had completely given up on Bay Rum. That is until I found The Captain. He produces a Bay Rum aftershave that positively has no equal. His Bay Rum aftershave has no overpowering clove smell, and just the right amount of vanilla and spice to keep you coming back for more. For me, it has a staying power of about 4 hours. I will keep this review short and sweet. If you like a spicy scent to your aftershave, try the Captains Choice, you will not be disappointed!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, keeps skin clear, relieves irritation
Cons: none I can think of.
I really like this aftershave. It is my favorite bay rum out of many I have tried. It has a great scent that last while not being overpowering. It really helps with razor burn/irratation and keeps my skin clear. I would highly recommend this bay rum.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: perfect bay rum scent
Cons: I can't think of any
I associate bay rum with the barbershop my dad took me to when I was young. I have very fond recollections of the scent, and have searched long and hard for just the right bay rum. Most have been disappointing, as they seem to have an over-dependence on cloves. So I was a little skeptical of ordering Captain's Choice at first, but after reading glowing review after glowing review I decided I'd give it a whirl. WOW!!! This is the bay rum I'd been searching for! The scent is absolutely spot on perfect, with no cloying clove smell. Just the right amount of glycerine, so it doesn't leave my face dry like some splashes can. Yes, there is alcohol burn like any bay rum has but it is not uncomfortable and dissipates quickly, leaving behind a very nice feel. The terrific scent lasts a long time, too. I still catch light whiffs several hours after I shave. The wife loves it as well - this is the only bay rum that's gotten her enthusiastic approval. (So of course, it's the only one left in my den.) Price is a good bit higher than most of the other bay rums on the market, but it's a good deal less expensive than other aftershaves of comparable quality. Captain's Choice is a favorite (in my top three), and the only bay rum I'll buy from here on. An artisan product, handmade in small batches. Very highly recommended!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I was lucky enough to win a bottle of this stuff. Topnotch bay rum for sure. It smells great and it makes my skin feel nice after using it. A must have for any fan of bay rum.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great Smelling, excellent customer service
This is my favorite aftershave product in the bay rum scent. I generally switch off between this and an aftershave balm to keep my face from getting to dry. This product contains witch hazel and helps me to avoid any razor bumps or burn. It is not made with clove but does have a similar resemblance. The smell is fantastic. It lasts the entire morning on my face where I will catch whiffs of it here and there throughout the day. It does have alcohol in it so you know when you put it on your face but I like that feeling in the morning. I will purchase no other bay rum, it is truly a great product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)