What's new

Canoe

Pros: scent
Cons: price
I've heard a lot of people say this is Clubman. It has a similar notes, but there is some more floral work going on here than Clubman. There is the oakmoss scent which I love, but some lavender in there that I don't get with Clubman. I think the two would play well together. I do think, between the two, Clubman has a longer lasting scent and much more powdery finish.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
Pinaud in a cologne bottle pure and simple. Classic barber shop scent: sweet, lemon/floral, talcum powder. A one trick pony, but it still has its place in my fragrance tray.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
Canoe is basically Pinaud Clubman, except with a far more harsh, acidic opening.

If you like the scent, just get Clubman.
I used it in the 60s and thought it was just fine.
I agree that canoe smells like clubman AS, but is that so bad? I like it and it is very popular with the ladies at work.
I'm sorry, I like Canoé. I like its spiciness, its clean, barbershop-like scent, the fact that its's hard to put too much on (unless you bathe in it), its availability and its price.

Canoé seems to me a precursor of Paul Sebastian and shares many notes, but where PS goes horribly wrong on me, Canoé retains its barbershop fougère scent. As far as complexity is concerned, on me there is a bit of evolution as the day progresses, but not much - sort of an interplay of the notes, not a wholesale change from top to mid to basenotes.

The atomizer could be better and packaging is barebones, but what do you want for an inexpensive (not cheap, big difference) drugstore scent. And, I believe I read that in its day, Canoé was da bomb. I really like it and, for me, makes sense for the reasons I got back to wet shaving in the first place. :001_smile
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)
I rember buying this at Revco in High School. Brings back to many bad memory's. Does have a very sweet smell to it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
While browsing through Walmart the other day waiting on my wife's car, I noticed this product at a very reasonable price. They had items out for Christmas and had small atomizers of various fragrances. I decided to give it a try. What could it hurt, $2.88 for a small EDT is hard to beat.

Scent: To me it smells just like Pinaud Clubman AS although I believe it has more staying power. It's a nice crisp scent if used in moderation, but I think it could overpower a room and would be nauseating if used in excess.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)