What's new

C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen Aftershave Lotion - Sensitive Formula

This is a rating for the Original Formula #174
Picked up a bottle from a member here. It's discontinued, but there are still bottles floating around.

Quality- Has eucalyptus oil and grape seed extract. It's thick, but it feels lightweight on your skin and it's absorbed quickly.

Razor burn- I haven't gotten razor burn, but I did have a little irritation which this stuff took care of.

Cooling- It's cooling, not as cooling as Proraso Pre/Post, but cooling. It really feels nice.

Scent- I don't detect a lavender scent like it's reported with the Sensitive formula. To me it smells almost like Crème de Menthe. It's very fresh, but doesn't last long.

Moisturizing- This ASB is very moisturizing, more than Proraso balm, so a little goes a long way.

This is a very good product, it's too bad its discontinued. I'll be keeping my eye on ebay or the bst for another one.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This stuff has been discontinued by Bigelow. Normally sold at Bath and Body Works for $24, but clearance price was $6 a bottle. I snapped up the last 5 bottles in my locality.

This is a very good AS Balm at $6. I wouldn't recommend paying $24 for it, but if you can afford it, go right ahead. This is still a great balm.

Very lightweight. Almost like a ketchup bottle as far as pouring it. Very soothing, very good at fighting burn and irritation. Smells of lavender. I don't use this every day, but if I have a rough shave I will use this after an alcohol splash or Code Blue.

Reminds me a lot of Aqua Velve Ice Balm but smells different. Has Grapeseed Extract (good for sun protection) and Eucalyptus oil as well.

Overall: at $6 a bottle, a very good bang for your buck if you can still find it at Bath and Body Works.:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I've recently revisited this aftershave lotion after quite a long hiatus. Since my wife frequents Bath & Bodyworks quite often, this is actually one of the first aftershave balms I started using after getting into wetshaving. At the time I thought it was just ok, but now that I've tried a few things I've realized it's pretty good stuff.

Price - 10 since my wife got it on sale. $6 for a nice frosted glass bottle and 4ozs of balm. I wouldn't be ashamed of leaving this out on my sink, very nice. However, if this stuff is still available (I've heard it might've been discontinued), I don't know if I'd give it a 10 in price if I paid retail ($24).

Quality - I'm not sure of the total ingredients in this, but it does have aloe vera and grapeseed extract listed on the label. I don't know what's in it, but I do know that when I use it, my facial blemishes tend to heal faster and my skin feels really good.

Razor Burn - I rarely get razor burn and when I do I use a good alcohol splash to take care of it. But I did have a couple of red spots from shaving the other day, and this stuff took care of them nicely.

Cooling - Put it on your face and you'll feel maybe a light cooling sensation from the aloe in this stuff. Some people aren't big on cooling aftershaves, others are, so I gave it a 5 on this.

Scent - I didn't realize it when I first used this (I'm thinking I just didn't recognize it), but it has a nice subtle lavender scent to it. For those of you familiar w/the "unscented" T&H Ultimate comfort shaving cream, you know it actually has a subtle lavender scent to it. This stuff comes close in scent strength, but probably has a bit more oomph to it. Enough to enjoy the scent for a few minutes, but not enough to interfere with any colognes.

Efficacy - This stuff is pretty thick in consistency. It's definitely not a milk, so it takes a bit of work to get it out of the bottle. Holding it upside down and popping it against the palm of your hand seems to work well (like you would on a plate w/a ketchup bottle). But don't let the thickness fool you, it's got just the right amount of moisturization and isn't greasy or waxy at all.
Overall efficacy is probably an 8, as some people will need a bit more moisture while some will need a bit less. This stuff works very well for me yearround and I've found it's pretty flexible. I can use less in the summer and still get good performance out of it, and I can use more in the winter and stave off any dry patches.

Moisturizing - Even though it's pretty thick, this stuff puts a nice layer of moisture on your skin that sinks in after a few minutes. After putting it on, your face will fill more toned and firm, and will look noticeably better.

No Alcohol burn - As stated, I don't know the full ingredients of this products, but I didn't feel a hint of burn. So I'd be surprised if this stuff had any.

Lastly, would I buy it again. Heck yeah! It's good stuff, and I don't have any other lavender balms so I'll be trying to get my hands on a couple more bottles of this stuff.

On a side note, I've found that this stuff pairs well w/hydrolast peppermint. I had a good shave w/MB Clear Skies soap (lavender/rosemary/peppermint) recently, and followed it up w/a combo of this stuff and hydrolast to keep w/the great scent.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)