What's new

C.O. Bigelow Barber Elixir Black

Pros: Inexpensive, distinctive, memorable.
Cons: None
I remember this scent standing out from all the other B&BW fragrances and I knew I had to have it. In a sea of upbeat and cheery, light and clean scents this was a bit of a rebel...a black sheep, if you will. I liked that. :) Plus it came in a gift set with a wonderfully larger black muslin dobb kit. All for just $20, a definite bargain IMHO.

It's clean yet ethereal, and the toasty vanilla and tonka bean blend really well. It also has a subtle undertone of clean talc. I would liken it to soapy, leathery and woodsy all chucked into a blender. And it has spawned a following of body fragrances (axe, bod, etc.) with that signature black packaging. I smoke cigars and pipes, and this scent lends itself really well to that. A gentleman's scent to be sure.

I lost about 20-25 bottles of cologne after a burglary a couple years back (who the **** steals cologne?!?) that I've slowly been replacing and sadly this was one of them. I see it has still held its price point. Guess I will get some more in the next couple weeks...been feeling a tad rebellious lately. ;-)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive especially on sale, scent
Of the C. O. Bigelow scents, this is my favorite (and the wife's as well) A good everyday scent. Unlike other reviewers, I don't find it has the staying power of some of my other juices. For me it lasts 5 - 6 hours.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
This is great stuff, smells wonderful and the atomizer is built like a tank. Highly recomended.:001_smile
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Commonly on sale for buy one, get one, these are a great value. All the ladies at the B&BW prefer the 'black' over the red, green, blue, by far. It's been my favorite, too. These are an excellent product, readily available at B&M stores or via B&BW etailing from the company website, modest cost. Recommended.

-- John Gehman
Price: At $19.95 a bottle and with almost ongoing sales this stuff is a steal compared to the big names and the scent is as good or better.

Quality: First rate product!

Packaging: Not as nice as the $100 stuff but it is a glass bottle and feels solid.

Scent: Complex mix of agar wood, tonka bean, amber, musk, and vanilla. It is a great blend that brings a nice earthy scent that is not too heavy. This is a must have gentleman!

Complexity: As I said for scent you will smell something different every time you take a whiff.

Staying power: I think the staying power of this stuff blows many of the department store brands out of the water.

Quality of atomizer: I wear Polo Black, and Cool Water on a pretty regular basis as well and this atomizer blows theirs away.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)