What's new

C-MON "Blackie" and "Caddilac"

I picked up a C-Mon Blackie, 6/8. As the previous review stated, nothing fancy, but what a shaver! I have several, more expensive razors and few measure up to this beast. The C-Mon's floating out there are rare as they are coveted by STR8 shavers everywhere. Touching up consisted of 3-5 passes on a barbers hone and it was ready to go.

If you get the chance, pick one of these up and give it a go.

Joe
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
I bought a couple of Caddilac models 5/8" and was pleasantly surprised. They were around $60 and were very close to shave ready right out of the box. A few whacks on the strop and away we went. the Blackies were better yet.
I have a heavy coarse beard. I have found that a heavier blade works better. I found a pair of "Blackies" 6/8" on sale for about the same price as the "Caddalac" model 5/8". I parted with the hard earned cash and hoped for the best. When they arrived I placed my thumb on the blade expecting the usual need to do the preparation two step. I was wrong! :eek: I gave each three passes on a strop and gave each of them a test on what passes for my face. Amazingly smooth. I have not gotten that good of an edge on so called professionally pre sharpened new Dovos. They hold an edge and touch up nicely. With my growth, a razor will skip and dance along if not seriously sharp! Especially against the grain. These are in my opinion really the best bang for the buck I've seen. There is nothing cheesy about them. The scales may not be diamond studded and the blades are not ultra fancy, but they certainly have quality! I have about twenty blades. They range from new to 100 year old vintage refurbs. ( I like salvaging lost straights.)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
1.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
1.00 star(s)