What's new

C&E Almond Oil Shaving Cream....

I realize I'm in the minority, so maybe my tube was part of a bad batch but the smell from my C&E Almond Oil was what I can only describe as "sickly sweet". Reminiscent of my grandmother, and yet somehow it literally smelled like someone was sick recently :frown:. It built a wonderful lather, and I'm sure would have shaved nicely...if I could have stood the smell long enough to get through the shave. Alas was not to be...
this was a very wondefull cream check my posts for iam starting a patition to email C&E about this
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I shaved with C&E Almond for 2-3 years. Then, about 10 years ago, they changed the formula completely, giving it a very nasty smell. Reminded me of driving past the oil refinery in Richmond, California. So I switched to DR Harris Almond, and then to Trumpers, which is now my main cream. Maybe the C&E has improved, plus smell is personal/subjective, but I advise everyone to take a deep sniff before buying this stuff.
joel;16152 said:
When my lovely lady presented me with this as a present for X-MAS, I was shocked...

This is not the same product I remembered from C&E. It "used" to come in a drab box, with a jar identical to the 3 T's... nothing special. Now it comes in a gorgeous box worthy of displaying, in a GLASS jar... REALLY has a great overall appearance.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

The Jar the cream comes in is simply gorgeous... well as far as shaving cream jars go :wink:

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Now the serious business.... with all the fancy packaging and impressive jar, can the cream itself hold it's own?

displayimage.php

A long answer made short.... yes. Not only is this shaving cream AS good as ANY of the 3T's.... it might be just a nudge superior, as it tends to leave your skin softer and provides a bit mroe protection than the "traditional" english shaving creams. My only gripe - which is not so much a "gripe" is the scent. It is not an "almond" scent - it is more of a cologne/perfume/natural scent of some kind, but it certainly is not almond. With that said - it is not so much a "gripe" because I happen to REALLY enjoy this scent. As far as scents go, everyone is different, but if you bury your nose in this cream, it is not going to give you the response you'd normally associate with almond.

Rating Scale – Each Quality from 0-2 (2 being best)

Price – 1
Quality – 2
Scent – 2
Efficacy – 2
Moisturizing properties – 2

Total – 9 out of 10
I'm trying to locate this shave cream. Am I correct that it is discontinued?
Regards,
Kevin
Had my first shave with this cream this morning and I'm very impressed. It's very, very, slick, and generates scads of lather.

I did not find the scent as attractive as some other folks. I really didn't notice much scent at all and what there is is understated and somewhat "warm." It will be a favorite cool weather cream. I prefer crisper scents like Nancy Boy and Proraso in warm weather.

The most impressive thing about C&E Almond is the lubrication (which is the main thing we're using it for). The downside is the cost. At $16 a tube or $25 a tub it seems high for a domestic brand.

I also agree with other reviewers that the key included with the tube gives it a 10 in packaging.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This is one of my favorites! I love the smell and lathers great. The tubes get a 10 in packaging because they come with that key that you can squeeze out every drop! On my most recent trip to the C&E store they did not have the Almond though! I hope that they did not stop making it!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Sadly, this cream is no longer available in the tub. I picked up a tube a few days ago and was impressed with the shave. As far as tubes go I though the presentation was nice. At least it wasn't a cheap plastic one and the design was nice. The smell was very pleasant. I thought the shave was comfortable and provided nice glide. In fact the entire shave reminded me of TOBS' avocado oil. I have read that some are unhappy or otherwise displeased with the scent. Remember it is almond "oil", kind of like the TOBS avocado "oil" which smells nothing like avocado and more like floral/cucumber. I for one and glad it does not have a sickeningly sweet or fake almond aroma. I very much enjoy this product and think C&E is a first rate company.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is one of my very favorite shaving creams, and is a tremendous pleasure to use each time.

For price I gave it a 9, as I think the packaging AND product justify the price.

Quality is better than that of all other C&E creams I've tried. It lathers better, delivers a better shave, gives better lubrication and moisturizes better. This is truly a Class A grade shaving cream, no matter how you look at it. Scent is always subjective, I happen to like it.

Latherability. This may as well be one of my best lathering creams, with the highest-quality lather in the end result. Ultra thick and rich.

Efficacy, what else can be said? This cream is a true joy to shave with. It provides EXCELLENT glide (lubrication), cuts very close and is very protecting at the same time.

Packaging? Easy. 10.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I love this cream. My only complaint is the scent. It wasn't what I was expecting. I was looking for something sweeter, but I still love it anyway. You have to get over the initial surprize if you expect it to be actually sweet. It's more like the natural smell from a raw almond as others have commented. I know the name comes from the sweet almond it is made from, but still didn't expect it to be so earthy.

Edit: I picked up the tube as the the jar pictured at the begining of this review is no longer available.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I recently went back to this cream after almost exclusively using triple milled soaps. It is superb in every way. With the tiniest amount of product on the very tips of the brush, you get a mountain of wonderful, thick, moisturizing lather. If C&E ever discontinue this product, the B&B storm troopers will have to commandeer C&E's head office and take over their manufacturing facilities at blade point.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I really like this SC. I use it as an overall face conditioning product. It provides me with a great foundation for a smooth, comfortable shave. In the winter time I use it as a face wash because of it's moisturizing qualities. I love the scent. Not too strong, very appealing. I can use it after shaving as a calming treatment. Can't say enough good things about this product.
I live in a hard water area so I've been soaking my brush in distilled water before lathering up. With distilled water (softer) it makes super lather.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I was given this as a gift from an old GF a few years back.

Performs amazing, blade glide is awesome, nice fluffy slick lather only thing I can think of that beats this is Frasers cream.

I still have the C&E cream all these years because I usually can't stand the scent. It's a flowery smell, kinda reminds me of a funeral parlor.

If you're into the smell this is a well performing cream.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I found this cream to very well made and works great. It lathers really well, produces what I describe as a very light and soft latehr feels great on the face. The scent is different reminds me of potpuri but in a good way. It isn't overpowering and smells great in the morning, real warm. The cream seems to provide plenty of glide, in fact it seems almost more like a soap than cream. It offers god cushion but not too much. My only problem with this soap is its moisturizing properties. I don't seem to feel their really are any. It doesn't dry my face out, but doesn't leave it feeling very moisturized if that makes sense. I am very pleased with C&E's almond shaving cream, great product at a very good price. The packaging is very nice.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I have been trying to fill those holes(well spoken of products I do not currently own) in my shaving supplies/den/rotation etc,etc, and was able to score this from Steven:)thumbup1: ).

Pricewise, I got an excellent deal and considering the quality of the product, I would have spent full price @ the store if it was not discontinued!(probably one of the stupidest decisions by a company- oh, wait Target discontinued carrying Proraso:out: ; still #1) amyway, this was well worth the wait.

This is how you package a shave cream(trumper's,CF, taylor's take note!) :thumbup1:

The product inside was absolutely beautiful in scent(not too much,not to fake)-my wife rubbed the lather into her skin and exclaimed that it moisturized her face-i did not have the heart to tell her it was just a 'shave soap'(which it isn't btw).

Efficacy of shave was such that I did not need an ASB afterwards, but decided what the hey and used some AV Ice Balm-the combo was amazing to say the least. My face felt like it was only a few hours old rather than 46+.

all in all, I am happy to have purchased this cream after hearing many good things about it-Resistance is futile, even when it's slow! :wink: Now I have to find a TJ Maxx in hopes they have more of this-I never want to run out!

Marty
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I have been using this cream for 20 years! Now it has been discontinued, except for the tube. I do not care for the current glass jar as I shave in the shower and am afraid to drop it. Even though I would still say this is my favorite cream, the discontinuation of it forced me to look for alternatives and I think I actually prefer Taylors Almond to C&E. But until I use up my last jar (and I have many of them stockpiled), I will still say it is my favorite shave cream.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I am a newbie, so take this for what it is worth. This is the first non-aerosol I have tried (previously I was using Edge gel), so I don't really have anything to compare this to.
However, I have been impressed with this product. I have not yet invested in a badger brush yet, so I have been whipping up my lather in a bowl using a cheap boar brush I picked up at my local CVS. But the stuff still makes a great lather, and I only have to use about an almond sized amount to get enough for at least the 2 passes I'm currently doing.
I liked the scent, as I was not ready for the stronger scents that Crabtree and Evelyn offered. It is very mild, and reminded me of a mild amaretto scent. It's a nice light, fresh scent that is very enjoyable in the morning as I strive to improve my technique.
The downside would have to be the price. It is a little pricey, at $15 for the tube. It may also be that I'm having trouble shifting from the cheap aerosol shave creams and gels. However, after discovering how little it takes to generate enough lather, I feel confident that the tube should last me a reasonably long time.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I scored a tub at TJ Maxx - for $4 I am thrilled. However, I would pay full price for this cream - I like it that much. At full price, the rating would dip a point or two

Put it this way - it lathers well and provides a slick cushion for my razor. I am still somewhat new to the straight, but this cream covers my mistakes. I get a smooth shave with no blade skips and no nicks or cuts. My face feels better for using it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I generally use this cream if my face needs an instant pick-me-up from a bad shave , cold weather etc.It really moisturises and leaves your skin feeling softer,smoother and brighter.As soon as you begin to lather you realise you have a quality product as it is so thick and creamy.Easily lathered.I marked it down on scent as i personally dont find it as good as some other creams but some guys seem to love the scent.If you are considering buying a new cream give this a go.You wont be dissappointed with this quality product as it really heightens your shaving experience
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Picked up two jars at TJ Maxx...one had a cracked lid (but was not exposed to air) and I got it for 3 dollars...the other was 7.50...so I used these prices for my rating. if it had been the full 25.00 retail I may have felt differently. Also, I rated packaging by the old glass jar version, not the tubes.

When I first used this cream I was surprised by the scent...like others I was expecting an amaretto scent and got floral instead...but since educating myself about what real raw almonds smell like I really appreciate the scent. Actually, when I first used it I thought it was sickly sweet, and I almost stopped using it. Then I started to crave the scent...a lot like one might start to crave the taste of a scotch they didn't like at first...nothing else seems to "hit the spot."

I was immediately struck by the moisturizing properties of the sweet almond oil...leaves my face feeling incredibly smooth. When I use this cream I feel like I'm getting a royal shave with the most precious of shaving creams (OK, that was a little much, but my point is this cream feels and smells really elegant).

All of that having been said, I feel I should mention that I did get one terrible shave from this cream...still not sure why. I think this cream demands a lot of water to get fully hydrated. I used it with apparently not enough water added (or perhaps I used too little cream) and had skipping/irritation/ingrowns. So my advice is to use a healthy amount and keep adding water 'til it won't take any more. So for one bad shave I've had many many excellent, superior, amazing ones.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price: High, but worth it
Quality: very nice, thick and homogeneous
Scent: beautiful earthy aroma
Lather: BOOM! lots of thick, dense lather
Eficacy: slick and good holding power
Moisture: leaves skin wonderfully moist and soft
Packaging: display worthy, no more hiding in the medicine cabinet.

I can't seem to find it in the tub format anywhere, only tube... oh well.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)