What's new

Burma-Shave Shaving Soap

Just some additional information of this soap, which I do like very much regardless of its heritage (or lack thereof): it's a tallow-first soap, and it definitely performs like it is. Have a look at the pics! It's also a Personna/ASR product, apparently.

Cheers,
Jimmy.
IMHO Burma Shave is one of the finest soaps out there. Call me an idiot but i also find the scent very addictive in an old fashioned sort of way. Its tallow based with glycerine and lathers up beautifully and easily, its suprisingly slick with lots of cushion, lasts a very long time and is incredibly cheap. It is only slighty lacking in the moisturizing category. Overall mone of the best bang for buck soaps out there!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This was my first soap. As such, it's great for teaching you to lather, etc. - you don't feel bad getting half-way through a puck realizing you've essentially been wasting it.

It's not great for winter use, though, and you really have to be generous with the lather, since it'll dry up quick.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
This was the first soap I ever used. It led me to believe that DE shaving wasn't that great. Then I ran across some Col. Conk Bay Rum soap and that accomplished two things: 1st, it made me realize that it DID get better than the Burma shave soap and 2nd it made my SCAD, SSAD, and all the other AD's kick in. Ever since then I've been relentlessly buying shaving creams and soaps looking for the best shave possible..
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
This is not the fanciest soap ever, but does a good job. Smells ok, lathers well, it doesn't moisturize but still does the job at an excellent price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
D
I decided to try Burma Shave for nostalgic reasons. However, I just did not find it as good as other shaving soaps that I have used. It irritates my skin and does little to prevent razor burn. My skin ends up looking rather irritated and red. It lathers nicely and the smell is quite pleasant but it does not seem to have enough added emollients to soften the razor effect on my skin. I have had to stop using it and start using more modern shaving soaps that contain added emollients to moisturize the skin. I just felt my skin too tight and dry after a shave. It left my face feeling uncomfortable for the first half of the day. Nice old-time memories but that's about all.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
While it was mantic who taught me how to wet shave properly, it was my late grandfather who initially introduced me to the art. Oh how I remember when I first got those hairs underneath my lip, and my Paw Paw took me down to the drug store and bought me a puck of Burma Shave, a shaving brush, and a razor. He taught me how to build a decent lather with the stuff, and although his method wasn't very keen, he started something with that puck of Burma Shave...

For the longest, Burma Shave was the only shaving soap that came to mind when I thought of brush soaps. Over the years I've tried different soaps, some that even surpass Burma by light years. However, for the price, it is a good soap which offers a decent and consistent lather.

Plus, you can't put a price on nostalgia.
The first cake of the Burma I've bought at ebay and I was very curious how it will perform..., it lathers really good and gave me a good shave, except the skin care effect...

I think it's not the badest choice, but creams do the job much better for me, especially the moisturization of the soap is not top-notch...

A pleasant scent and, I think, a cheap choice, like Williams...

So, not the worst choice for a newbie!!
BEN MET ANNA /MADE A HIT/ NEGLECTED BEARD/ BEN-ANNA SPLIT

THIS CREAM MAKES/ THE GARDENER'S DAUGHTER/ PLANT HER TU-LIPS/ WHERE SHE OUGHTER

WITHIN THIS VALE/OF TOIL AND SIN/ YOUR HEAD GROWS BALD/ BUT NOT YOUR CHIN

YOUR BEAUTY BOYS/ IS JUST SKIN DEEP/ WHAT SKIN YOU’VE GOT/ YOU OUGHT TO KEEP

PEDRO WALKED/ BACK HOME BY GOLLY /HIS BRISTLY CHIN /WAS HOT-TO-MOLLY

MEN WITH WHISKERS/ ‘NEATH THEIR NOSES/ OUGHTA HAVE TO KISS/ LIKE ESKIMOSES

Burma-Shave developed one of the most creative and remembered advertising gambits of all time, the Burma-Shave roadside signs. From 1927 through 1963 these signs dotted the American highways. Usually coming in groups of 5 or 6, you had to drive by in an auto to get all the lines of verse in the proper cadence. The last sign said Burma-Shave. A comprehensive collection of the Burma-Shave jingles has been published in The Verse by the Side of the Road, by Frank Rowsome, Jr.

The first Burma-Shave product, and the one that made them famous, was a brushless shaving cream. Many of their roadside poems emphasize the time saved by brushless cream, and how brushless cream frees up the brush for other more productive uses, like painting the house. Sometime in the company's history they decided to offer cake soap and brushes under the Burma-Shave name, and these seem to be the only Burma-Shave products available today. The brushless cream that was the company's major product has dissappeared into the sands of time.

The cake soap is still available in some drugstores, now unadvertised and forgotton, hidden down by the floor with the low-profit items. A 1.5 oz. puck will set you back about a buck.

The scent is pleasant, and smells like… soap. No surprises there. The ingredients list on the back of the box says: SOAP (SODIUM PALMATE, SODIUM COCOATE OR SODIUM PALM KERNELATE, POTASSIUM STERATE, AND POTASSIUM COCOATE OR PALM KERNELATE TYPES) WATER, GLYCERIN, FRAGRANCE, COCONUT ACID, SODIUM CHLORIDE, PENTASODIUM PENTETATE, TETRASODIUM ETIDRONATE, BHT, TITANTIUM DIOXIDE.

This will probably not be the best soap you ever shaved with, nor the worst. It is just an honest shaving soap that got the job done for generations of our fathers.

FREE OFFER!
FREE OFFER!!
RIP A FENDER
OFF YOUR CAR
MAIL IT IN FOR
A HALF POUND JAR.
BURMA-SHAVE

It’s worth a try guys! The offer may still be good!

The discussion thread for this review is here. If you don't want to rate the product please post in the discussion thread so as not to skew the review scores.
Top Bottom