What's new

Bump Fighter aka Trac 2 type razor

Pros: Good shave
Cons: No lubrastrip
The handle is a good one and it cuts the hair at the right length. Any longer then not good look and may as well go electric, any closer cut and I get in-growing hairs and rashes and bumps.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent handling, ease of use, leverages inexpensive twin blade design
Cons: Insufficient rinsewater access from behind, slight difficulty changing cartridges
Through the years, especially with having had a mediocre experience with the long-ago migration from Trac II to Atra, I stuck with Trac II and generic fixed twin blades. I started my newfound shaving enthusiasm with the discovery that there were inexpensive buy-in-bulk options for replacement blades from eCommerce sources, and this razor kept turning up as a good choice for continued use of the cartridges.
As it was not available at a nearby Walmart or CVS, I tacked it on to an online shopping spree.
The razor has a lot of smarts that take handling of a 44-year-old twin blade design to a new degree. The mounting head is at the end of an arc that keeps the business end, and any cream or foam, away from your hand. The holding angle is comfortable for the force that has to be applied for cartridge shaving. The rubber handle cannot be topped for handling or control.
The main drawback to the design relates to the tendency for hairs to get jammed between twin blades. There are only two small access holes in the back of the head, so if you try to use a gush of water to rinse the blades from behind, you are not going to get a lot of flush-through. As twin blade razors go, I found it takes a couple tries to get the rails slid into the cartridge when changing blades. That may be the machining of the rails, or it may be the previous handling experience of the user.
The razor comes with two blades, which sport a "bump guard" design that recesses the edges slightly away from the face. This allows a tiny amount of whisker to remain at the follicle, helping to avoid curl-back and ingrowth. Being Europid and not suffering from shave bumps, I have had no immediate reason to try them, but I am keeping them in reserve in case back-to-back DE BBS shaves take a toll and force me to go easy on the face.
I keep a bump guard with a fresh generic twin blade ready, whether as a routine rotation with DE or if the clock dictates reverting to finger-painted Barbasol and a single pass with twin blade.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: cost compatibility ergonomics
Cons: branding
Works well with Trac II cartridges. Handle is aluminum, feels solid. Grip is molded plastic that slides on over the handle, stays in place securely. Head is a metal track screwed to solid black plastic. Heft and balance are ok, and it feels good in the hand. With the Trac II cartridge, I prefer it to the Mach 3. Good travel razor.

Cartridge is a little stiff to slide on, but is held securely. Bump Fighter name is molded into handle: not obvious, but the name just isn't sexy. Cartridges are gentle but did give me a reasonable shave. Would not use regularly, but they would work in a pinch. This may be the lowest cost solidly-built shaver available from a chain drugstore.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is a neat little razor, the handle is well made and the single blade cartridge that is uses has little ridges on the blade to keep it just off your skin. This results in the most tamest and pain free shaves you can imagine. When you shave with this, it feels very different from other razors as you cannot feel the blade and have a natural tendency to want to push the razor harder into your face. But this is unecessary as it is indeed cutting. The trick with this is to find the right angle for maximum closeness and do a ATG pass as your last pass. Closeness is very reasonable, but perhaps heavy bearders might it lacking.

The best part of this razor is that you will have absolutely no razor burn or cuts whatsoever. This razor was recently discontinued and can no longer be found at Walmart, so if you want one, you have to get it online.
For $3.56 @ Walmart you cant go wrong with this. I bought it because it takes the Trac II style carts. Ive never tried that blade so I didnt want to go out and pay $30 or more dollars for a fancy handle.

It has some heft to it. It feels like all metal with a rubber grip. The balance is nice. The grip works but I try not to get my hands wet.

All in all if you need/want a Trac II handle this is a great place to start.

Oh and save the cart holder that comes with the BF handle since Trac II carts dont have a protective cover. when you travel the holder is small and shouldnt take up much space in your kit.

proxy.php
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
I purchased the BF handle so I could use it with the Trac II cartridges. The rubber covered handle feels solid and has a nice weight to it. It will not win any beauty contest but it does what it's suppose to do. CVS is the only store in my area that sells the handle. I buy Personna cartridges at Wal-mart for $3.84 for a pack of 10. I get at least a week of shaves from each one, so the cost per month is only around a $1.50.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Recently bought the excellent Bump Fighter handle for Wal-Mart for under $5.00.

This is an excellent all metal handle, with a very comfortable rubber grip.

Trac II carts fit the razor head very snuggly.

Overall this is a wonderful razor, at a great price. I strongly reccommend it for those who like the Trac II.

The included Bump Fighter blades are extremely mild, and it is likely very close to impossible to cut yourself with them. They have a metal guard on top of the razor, that keeps the blade off the skin, making for a not as close shave.

An excellent Trac II head, which is what I bought it for. :thumbup:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
love bump fighter and personna 2 blades combo
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I bought this razor, not because I have a problem with ingrown hairs or bumps, but because I needed a good Trac II.

I had a plastic no-name Trac II razor that had no weight to it- basically a disposable with a cartridge head. I wanted something with some heft, and this one fit the bill.

It's solid black, and I took a point off of the quality because of the Bump Fighter name on the handle- it's barely noticeable but still, not something I'm proud of displaying.

The BF ran about three and a half dollars from Wal-Mart and came packaged with two blades. The BF blades are of a strange design- a single blade recessed from the head to keep from cutting the whisker down too low. It has a wire mesh screen across the blade like Schick cartridges, I guess to suppress cuts.

Doing a pass with the BF blade in place is strange- you can hear it cutting but if you run your hand across your face you still feel a bit of grain. Honestly? It's the same kind of shave I get out of a DE. It doesn't leave you BBS- which is the point.

I recently pulled out a BF blade after having a lousy shave and getting some razor bumps on my neck. I got a little experimental with my technique and some ATG passes left my neck on fire. I hate going three or four days without shaving to let my bumps heal, so I figured I'd use the BF blade in the meantime. Guess what? I was able to get a reasonably close shave while the bumps on my neck healed up.

If you're new to DE shaving and have been getting some ingrowns or bumps from lousy technique and or blade/razor choice, try one of these while your face is in the healing process. If you like the feel of a single pass DE shave and want to replicate it with a cartridge, give this one a try.

Loaded with the Personna brand Twin II (Trac II) cartridges, I get a DFS every day. The only thing I can find fault with on this razor is the way that if you're clinking your razor on the side of the sink to get the whiskers off the blade, the cartridge itself will slide down the head about a quarter of an inch and you have to tap it back onto track. That's not really the razors fault, it's the basic design flaw of all Trac II razors.

The Bump Fighter razor weighs in fairly thick for a stick handled razor of this type, I believe it is painted aluminum all the way through with a textured rubber grip along 3/4ths of the handle. If this razor slips from your hand, then you probably have industrial grease caked on your palms, as even with the slipperiest soap and creme I've never had a problem getting a grip on this thing.

All in all, I give it a nine out of ten. One of the best mass produced cartridge razors I've ever used, probably the best Trac II type razor I've ever handled. I have come to despise pivoting razors, so this one makes a welcome addition to my arsenal.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I love this system loaded with a Trac II cart or Personna Twin II.

The balance is absolutey magnificant.

Loading a a cartridge into it isn't as easy to perform as the same with a spring-loaded cart. - big deal.

Quality is good; it's a plastic/rubber affair, but with weight. No slip grip. Feels excellent in one's hands.

It also looks attractive, unless you scrutinize it very carefully and note the "Bump Fighter" trademark on the rubberized grip; but it's quite masked. From any other distance this thing looks attractive: black and sleek.

*EDIT: You're right, Slant; it probably is metal, given its weight. Whatever it is, it's a heavy-duty, exceedingly inexpensive Trac-II compatible razor. Forget the numbers I've given it; read our reviews, and if you like Trac IIs, buy one for 5 bones. A+
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I found this system in Walmart and got curious. The blades and razor system are generally for black man who have trouble shaving. The blades are made especially for this purpose. However upon closer inspect I realized that the handle will accept Trac 2 type blades so I bought a pack of Personna blades.

Well to my surprise the shave is first class. Very close and smooth and of course void of irritation. I know what your thinking this guy doesn't know anything. Well I currently use a Slant,open comb,Progress and you name it all others including the dreaded straight.

My total cost was under $7.00 and this is the perfect solution for travel. So give it a shot and you tell me. One other thing this system is made by ASRC

Trac 2 lives on

I believe the whole razor is metal and has a rubber grip around the handle. I will weigh the razor when I get home next week but it feels too heavy to be plastic.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)