What's new

Boreal 976 Banded Boar Brush

Item Description

This brush is mentioned here and there, but it isn't as popular or widely available as the Omegas and Vulfix brushes. It should be mentioned in any serious boar brush discussion. For the record, I just recieved this brush. It is (lightly) used and I think it has been broken in. Time will tell...if it changes significantly over the next few months I will update the review. Without further ado.....off to the review.

-----------------------------

The Boreal 976 is a beauty to behold. It is hand turned hardwood, what kind I'm not sure, but it is visually stunning. It has a 24mm knot, but it shaves much smaller than a 24mm badger.

It has a tremendous amount of backbone. This is a brush that is best soaked for a bit if you have more sensitive skin. After a good hot soak it still has plenty of backbone to dig into a hard soap like Tabac, but yet it still splays out nicely and has soft enough tips that it doesn't feel like you are lathering with steel wool.

The shape of this brush is a little different than most of the other boar brushes I have. It is more of a conehead than a dome! Instead of being shaped with a nice mild arch it is much more agressive. This is extremely handy when digging into the soap dish. It tends to really work the middle and it also makes it so you don't have tons of soap oozing over the edge of your bowl (a personal peeve of mine).

Once it gets to lathering this brush shines. It whips up a rich creamy lather and it tends to fill the entire brush completely.

All in all I think this is most likely going to be my go-to brush for some time now. I am primarily a soap shaver as well as a face latherer. FWIW this brush was tested with Tabac my benchmark soap for all others.

Latest reviews

I really liked the look of this brush, i could not get it to work and gave it away. Its WAY too stiff and the bulb shape does not work in this case.

Im loving my Semogue 620 though, hands down better.
Awful...Luckily they don't make them any more which is a shame because I was looking for another one to use as a shoe brush.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
1.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
This brush is mentioned here and there, but it isn't as popular or widely available as the Omegas and Vulfix brushes. It should be mentioned in any serious boar brush discussion. For the record, I just recieved this brush. It is (lightly) used and I think it has been broken in. Time will tell...if it changes significantly over the next few months I will update the review. Without further ado.....off to the review.

-----------------------------

The Boreal 976 is a beauty to behold. It is hand turned hardwood, what kind I'm not sure, but it is visually stunning. It has a 24mm knot, but it shaves much smaller than a 24mm badger.

It has a tremendous amount of backbone. This is a brush that is best soaked for a bit if you have more sensitive skin. After a good hot soak it still has plenty of backbone to dig into a hard soap like Tabac, but yet it still splays out nicely and has soft enough tips that it doesn't feel like you are lathering with steel wool.

The shape of this brush is a little different than most of the other boar brushes I have. It is more of a conehead than a dome! Instead of being shaped with a nice mild arch it is much more agressive. This is extremely handy when digging into the soap dish. It tends to really work the middle and it also makes it so you don't have tons of soap oozing over the edge of your bowl (a personal peeve of mine).

Once it gets to lathering this brush shines. It whips up a rich creamy lather and it tends to fill the entire brush completely.

All in all I think this is most likely going to be my go-to brush for some time now. I am primarily a soap shaver as well as a face latherer. FWIW this brush was tested with Tabac my benchmark soap for all others.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)