What's new

Boot's Cool cologne brushless shaving cream

I picked this up for nothing when the assistant in Boots reminded me there was a "3 for 2" offer. I thought it might be an option if I was in a hurry, or maybe for travel.

A look at the flimsy tube rules out the travel option--it would be all over everything before you can say "baggage handler".

But as it happens I was in a hurry this mornng so I gave it a go.

First impression--eek, it's so cold, and the "cool cologne" factor makes it worse. Plus I've got to get it all over my fingers to get it on my face. It has a thin and rather slimy texture but covers everything adequately

Now what to use? There's no lather left in the brush for extra passes and I'm not getting that stuff all over my fingers again. So it's got to be a single pass and as this is a time-saving option I use the mild Aristo Junior as it won't punish me for working fast. I want this stuff off my face!

Actually the two work together quite well. After one pass the shave is anything but perfect, but it's even and quite acceptable for my casual day.

But I don't really see the point and the cream is banished to the back of the cupboard for emergencies. For a single pass it's only a little faster than using a brush.

And it's COLD.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Bought that in Northern Ireland. An ok brushless cream but not as fantastic as Lush. The scent is ok, no lather at all.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I purchased this cream, not really sure of the reason why anyone would want a brushless cream. If it were convenience I was looking for, I would probably go for a tube or can of gel. Which really is what this stuff is akin to. I am travelling at present and forgot to pack any cream, so I took the chance to buy this ahead of their shave stick which I have already tried.
At £1.64 its a great price.
Quality is good, sure it gets the job done, but I WANT to use a brush and I miss the lather. (Boots didn't have any lathering shave cream of any brand available).
The scent, like so many of the products that I have sampled on my DE journey, evoked childhood memories of days gone by. It really is a classic 'old skool' cool scent that lingers for quite a while.
Efficacy: Downright slimy! Razor glides through. However tha lack of lather makes it hard to see where you have shaved.
Its very moisturising. You have to wash the darned stuff off after shaving.
Agree with other reviewers, the tube is a definate burst risk. I do prefer the plastic tubes over metal tho'. That's just my preference.
Overall, I'm not really sure about this one. Great scent and good performance. But I think that this product is one step backwards in the canned goo direction. So I will try to find the brush lathering version of this product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
i got this for my dad to try and get him away from canned goo as he won't go back to a brush.
this will not be a brushless cream i'd buy again so the search continues.
i tried it once for myself but gave up halfway through the 1st pass and borrowed some of his canned foam to get the job done.

enough said, hence the low marks
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I have the Freshwood version of this brushless cream but figured pretty much the same applies to the cool cologne, excluding the scent.

Bought out of curiosity as it was only £1.80. I have used it a couple of times, once out of curiosity and once (this morning) because I was in a rush. First thing to note is this stuff has a looser consistency than the usual stuff that comes in a tube. You have to use quite a bit to smear over your face. It doesn't lather so much as leave you with a thick white "film" over your face rather like if you applied too much aftershave balm. I used my usual weapon - Tech with a Feather - and went to it. I found it allows the razor to glide easily over your skin with adequate protection. As this morning's shave was a rush, I did just two passes instead of my usual 3 and a half. The second pass meant applying more of the cream. I was all done in just over five minutes and no damage. Not the closest I like but the result was presentable for work.

I think this may be my new emergency shave option. It's certainly nicer than resorting to gel or foam for a quick lather. However I don't think I'd want to use it for my usual shave because making 3 applications of cream would be a bit of a messy process compared to using a brush (the stuff can stick to your hands) and would use it up very quickly. This may work better for those with lighter stubble who don't need more than a couple of passes.
Top Bottom