What's new

Boosters Polar Ice

Smells like when I used to get my haircut at the Barbershop growing up. Well, still smells the same when I get my haircut now. Old school, not old man. Alcohol based so it gives a good burn, or a bad burn, depends what you like. Not necessarily moisturizing but does o.k. If you refrain from witch hazel you might want to pick some up. stops the weepers and really cleans up your face. I give it an 8+.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Note: Elements of this review have been recycled from my Oriental Spice one. If I accidentally left in any elements that cause confusion, my apologies.

I have to admit that the value ($10.95 CDN for 400 ml) played a large part in my decision. With that said, what do I think about Booster's Polar Ice?

Price: Nothing more to say other than that this is a fantastic value.
Quality: This is a very good product for what it does. The scent typically dissipates after three hours, even with the accompanying cream (though in this case, I can't complain). I also wish it offered a shade more protection but, honestly, these complaints sound worse than they are.
Fights Razor Burn: This won't apply to everyone, as I have extremely sensitive skin, but I do feel a little more irritation following a splash of Booster than some other brands. I chalk this up to differing alcohol levels between aftershaves. Furthermore, this actually works in Booster's favour when it comes to moisturizing my skin (see below).
Cooling Sensation: While I'm certain that the cool scent plays a role in this, I find that Polar Ice does a better job at this than the other two products currently in my medicine cabinet. Like the scent, it isn't especially long-lasting but pleasurable nonetheless.
Scent: Here's where I'm torn: the numerical rating is higher than I would rate the overall product and the reason is the scent. It isn't bad, really, but neither my wife nor myself found it particularly memorable to the point where she hinted I stick to other scents once the bottle is empty. Everyone views scores differently so, for purposes of clarity, 5 means middle-of-the-pack -- nothing spectacular but not bad.
Efficacy: One rule I learned early on was that Booster products are purely aftershaves, not a combination aftershave/cologne. In other words, it does its job at protecting your face and, if you want something that lingers, pair it with a complimentary product. I believe this is the truth as my face feels softer and more natural after using Booster than some other brands.
Moisturizing: Here's where I seem to differ the most from everyone else: My face still feels insulated the following day; soft and protected as opposed to normal or even dry. Perhaps there are other variables at play here, so -- like everything -- your mileage may vary.
No Alcohol Burn: Only after a particularly bad session (I'm still learning, plus I've discovered Derby blades hate me) do I 'feel the burn'. Otherwise, Booster protects more than punishes.

So, there you have it: While I cannot endorse Polar Ice wholeheartedly, I endorse the Booster brand. Considering my thoughts are directly tied to the scent, what are you waiting for? Go hunt down a sample and see for yourself!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I got a sample bottle of this stuff from Shaving Essentials and this is by far my favorite AS. What really seems to set this stuff off is the smell. It has a hint of pepperment scent to it along with a classic barbershop scent. It has very little alcohol burn and leaves my face considerably smooth and soft afterwords. Something an alcohol based AS usually lacks. Give it a try. Im sure you won't be disappointed!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)