What's new

Booster oriental spice after shave

Bought a bottle of this at a local Barber Supply store for the amazing price of $7.95 for 400ml (14oz). For that price, how can you go wrong? Drugstores sell similar products for many times the price of this, so it definitely is a bargain.

It's a simple product---the ingredient list is nothing more than water, alcohol, fragrance and colouring.

As for the fragrance...it is pretty well what it says...Oriental spice, but it is quite light. This can be an advantage if you just want to use an after shave but not knock 'em dead at the office with an overpowering lingering aroma..

However, if I was looking for a similar product I would prefer Clubman Draggon Noir which has a similar but more complex fragrance.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Price: They give you a lot of product for the money, good value
Quality: This is a solid old-time aftershave lotion
Fights Razor Burn:
Cooling Sensation: Very little, No menthol
Scent : Hints of Orange and Spice, less spicy than Old Spice or Clubman Reserve... more in line with a light bay rum.
Efficacy: Nice barber shop scent - It takes me back in time
Moisturizing: I do not consider alcohol bases aftershaves ever to be mosturizing
No Alcohol Burn: A little burn but nothing that should drive anyone away

If you like old school barber shop smells then this is worth trying, especially considering the price. :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I have to admit that the value ($10.95 CDN for 400 ml) played a large part in my decision. With that said, what do I think about Booster's Oriental Spice?

Price: Nothing more to say other than that this is a fantastic value.
Quality: This is a very good product. I wish it lasted a little longer (the scent typically dissipates after three hours, even with the accompanying cream) and that it offered a shade more protection but, honestly, these complaints sound worse than they are. Count me as a fan!
Fights Razor Burn: This won't apply to everyone, as I have extremely sensitive skin, but I do feel a little more irritation following a splash of Booster than some other brands. I chalk this up to differing alcohol levels between aftershaves. Furthermore, this actually works in Booster's favour when it comes to moisturizing my skin (see below).
Cooling Sensation: Not as cool as their Polar Ice but since this product trends warm anyhow (due to the spice), the result is expected.
Scent: I primarily detect cinnamon or something similar. Regardless, I enjoy the product in the bottle and more so on my face. Furtheremore, my wife is a fan so count this as a success!
Efficacy: One rule I learned early on was that Booster products are purely aftershaves, not a combination aftershave/cologne. In other words, it does its job at protecting your face and, if you want something that lingers, pair it with a complimentary product. I believe this is the truth as my face feels softer and more natural after using Booster than some other brands.
Moisturizing: Here's where I seem to differ the most from everyone else: My face still feels insulated the following day; soft and protected as opposed to normal or even dry. Perhaps there are other variables at play here, so -- like everything -- your mileage may vary.
No Alcohol Burn: Only after a particularly bad session (I'm still learning, plus I've discovered Derby blades hate me) do I 'feel the burn'. Otherwise, Booster protects more than punishes. The Oriental Spice may have a little more kick than some of Booster's other varieties, however.

So, there you have it: My first review and a glowing one at that. Don't be scared off by the low price, lack of staying power or even lack of a 'name' -- give Booster's Oriental Spice a spin.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I haven't been much of one for aftershaves, but I'm starting to develop a love for the Booster's line of aftershaves. I find many things attractive to the Booster's line.

Price - The price is great here! 10-12 dollars for a 14 oz. (400 ml) bottle off of most of the online retailers. Since Booster's has limited distribution you're going to have to most likely get it shipped so that will add some more price, but I feel that even with that it is still excellent. I feel it is a phenomonal price when you factor in the quality. Another aftershave I like is Geo F. Trumper Skin Food, but the price is much more for much less. A 100ml bottle of Coral Skin Food will be around 23-30 dollars plus shipping so you get much less for a higher price, but it is a quality product!

Quality - The only thing I feel that really outdoes the Boosters line here is the Geo F. Trumper samples that I have. As with both a little goes a long way, but I would give the nod to the Skin Food as it moisturizes better. The Boosters is a great product still though I would buy Boosters much more due to the price/quantity ratio.

Fights Razor Burn - Again this only gets edged out a bit by me by Skin Food. I can notice a difference, but it is minimal so I don't mind. Other cheaper after shaves can fight the burn pretty well for me, but I don't like the alcohol burn I get from those as much. Occasionally, but not often.

Cooling Sensation - There is a slight cooling sensation from using this product, but it contains no menthol so it isn't going to be a kick straight in the face like Aqua Velva. Which is cool (Oooh! A pun!) with me as I usually don't care for that right up in your face cooling effect. I got AV for that. :wink2:

Scent - I have a sample of all 10 of Booster's aftershaves, and I have to say that there are only maybe two that I wouldn't want! I'd use many of these for the scent as a cologne if I thought they lasted longer on me. I don't notice very long longevity to these, but they smell great going on! Really the weakest link in the chain here is the longevity. I can't agree with the description of, "Exotic and piquant blend of ripe juicy and oh so sweet orange with spicy cinnamon and cloves." I don't smell any of this at all. It has a light musk odor to me. It smells very light, but the musk odor which I think I smell is noticable. A light sweetness to it, so I do agree there. I'm not the best with describing the scents of aftershaves/colognes, but I usually can smell what is in the description at least! I just know what I like, and I like this!

Efficacy - Had to look up this word! :blush: This product does everything just as I want it to! It has excellent moisturizing properties, an excellent price considering it's size, excellent at fighting the razor burn I have without creating burn from using the product, and a scent I love, just not sure if I really want it to last longer or if it's just right as I like to use colognes and wouldn't want too much cross scents. Any few minor disadvantages to it are moot to me as it does everything I could hope for very nicely!

Moisturizing - Skin Food would have to have the win again, but it's so minimal and considering the price to quantity ratio, I would much rather use this as an everyday product.

No Alcohol Burn - Depends on your tastes, but I'm happy that this has a very minimal alcohol burn! I have sensitive skin and the alcohol burn can be quite irritating, but it does have a slight tingle to it still which I love having. You shouldn't have any problems with using it everyday I feel.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase of Booster Oriental Spice After Shave Lotion! It is one of those few products out there I've found that is just a great fit for me in all the areas important to me! Great price considering the size, scent, moisturizing, minimal alcohol burn, fights razor burn very well, and is just a great quality item! I would definitely suggest you try out at least one of the Booster AS's!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I first got turned on to this through a sampler received with an order. I love the scent.

It starts off sweet and then that fades and dissipates leaving muskier undertones.

This is $10 for a 400 Ml bottle. The quality is high, and there is no animal testing which is a good thing, as really how much testing does one have to do with products of this kind?

It helps soothe razor burn, and there is a cooling sensation, although this is not mentholated

The scent fades quickly but lingers through the day. There is very little alcohol burn from this A/S.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I like using this product, but it dries my face every time. I should mention that I have extremely sensitive skin.

However, I still slap some on from time to time. The smell reminds me of when my grandfather would take me to his neighbourhood barber.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
everyone loves finding products that are long on performance but short on cost. booster oriental spice after shave is definitely one of these quiet gems.

originally sold only to barber shops and hair salons, they have limited distribution in the US and Canada, so many people haven't tried them...which is a shame.

for around $10 you get 14 ounces of after shave in a plastic bottle that looks more like a homemade soft drink than an after shave. booster costs more than your basic pinaud clubman, but i honestly believe you get more for your money as well.

on initial sniff, the scent is simple and not particularly memorable with an odd artificial sweetness like the scent of cotton candy. fortunately, once on the skin the scent changes dramatically. the sweetness mellows and the spicy notes take on a depth and complexity that makes the scent far more interesting and enjoyable.

as for performance, the stuff works beautifully. it contains glycerin and i suspect witch-hazel. it has excellent calming properties for razor burned skin and for reasons i cannot explain does not seem to sting, despite containing alcohol.

in short, it is an outstanding product that combines much of the calming healing properties of a lotion or balm with the traditional feel and weight of an after shave. don't let the low-budget packaging or initial candy-like smell put you off. there is magic in this bottle for those who are willing to try it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)