What's new

Booster oriental spice after shave

Item Description

everyone loves finding products that are long on performance but short on cost. booster oriental spice after shave is definitely one of these quiet gems.

originally sold only to barber shops and hair salons, they have limited distribution in the US and Canada, so many people haven't tried them...which is a shame.

for around $10 you get 14 ounces of after shave in a plastic bottle that looks more like a homemade soft drink than an after shave. booster costs more than your basic pinaud clubman, but i honestly believe you get more for your money as well.

on initial sniff, the scent is simple and not particularly memorable with an odd artificial sweetness like the scent of cotton candy. fortunately, once on the skin the scent changes dramatically. the sweetness mellows and the spicy notes take on a depth and complexity that makes the scent far more interesting and enjoyable.

as for performance, the stuff works beautifully. it contains glycerin and i suspect witch-hazel. it has excellent calming properties for razor burned skin and for reasons i cannot explain does not seem to sting, despite containing alcohol.

in short, it is an outstanding product that combines much of the calming healing properties of a lotion or balm with the traditional feel and weight of an after shave. don't let the low-budget packaging or initial candy-like smell put you off. there is magic in this bottle for those who are willing to try it.

Latest reviews

Bought a bottle of this at a local Barber Supply store for the amazing price of $7.95 for 400ml (14oz). For that price, how can you go wrong? Drugstores sell similar products for many times the price of this, so it definitely is a bargain.

It's a simple product---the ingredient list is nothing more than water, alcohol, fragrance and colouring.

As for the fragrance...it is pretty well what it says...Oriental spice, but it is quite light. This can be an advantage if you just want to use an after shave but not knock 'em dead at the office with an overpowering lingering aroma..

However, if I was looking for a similar product I would prefer Clubman Draggon Noir which has a similar but more complex fragrance.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Price: They give you a lot of product for the money, good value
Quality: This is a solid old-time aftershave lotion
Fights Razor Burn:
Cooling Sensation: Very little, No menthol
Scent : Hints of Orange and Spice, less spicy than Old Spice or Clubman Reserve... more in line with a light bay rum.
Efficacy: Nice barber shop scent - It takes me back in time
Moisturizing: I do not consider alcohol bases aftershaves ever to be mosturizing
No Alcohol Burn: A little burn but nothing that should drive anyone away

If you like old school barber shop smells then this is worth trying, especially considering the price. :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I have to admit that the value ($10.95 CDN for 400 ml) played a large part in my decision. With that said, what do I think about Booster's Oriental Spice?

Price: Nothing more to say other than that this is a fantastic value.
Quality: This is a very good product. I wish it lasted a little longer (the scent typically dissipates after three hours, even with the accompanying cream) and that it offered a shade more protection but, honestly, these complaints sound worse than they are. Count me as a fan!
Fights Razor Burn: This won't apply to everyone, as I have extremely sensitive skin, but I do feel a little more irritation following a splash of Booster than some other brands. I chalk this up to differing alcohol levels between aftershaves. Furthermore, this actually works in Booster's favour when it comes to moisturizing my skin (see below).
Cooling Sensation: Not as cool as their Polar Ice but since this product trends warm anyhow (due to the spice), the result is expected.
Scent: I primarily detect cinnamon or something similar. Regardless, I enjoy the product in the bottle and more so on my face. Furtheremore, my wife is a fan so count this as a success!
Efficacy: One rule I learned early on was that Booster products are purely aftershaves, not a combination aftershave/cologne. In other words, it does its job at protecting your face and, if you want something that lingers, pair it with a complimentary product. I believe this is the truth as my face feels softer and more natural after using Booster than some other brands.
Moisturizing: Here's where I seem to differ the most from everyone else: My face still feels insulated the following day; soft and protected as opposed to normal or even dry. Perhaps there are other variables at play here, so -- like everything -- your mileage may vary.
No Alcohol Burn: Only after a particularly bad session (I'm still learning, plus I've discovered Derby blades hate me) do I 'feel the burn'. Otherwise, Booster protects more than punishes. The Oriental Spice may have a little more kick than some of Booster's other varieties, however.

So, there you have it: My first review and a glowing one at that. Don't be scared off by the low price, lack of staying power or even lack of a 'name' -- give Booster's Oriental Spice a spin.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)