What's new

Bonsa Extra Hollow Ground

Item Description

Another blade I paid a fiver for, took 5 mins to tune, and have been getting consistently brilliant shaves from ever since. It is a Bonsa Extra Hollow Ground (not a brand I've heard of before or since), 5/8, "real Sheffield steel forged and real hollow ground in Germany".

View attachment 8028

The blade looks like it is overworn toward the toe, but this must be the angle I took the photo at. The wear is even, if a little heavy. There is a reason it has had so much use- it is an excellent razor!

View attachment 8027

The blade is not as hollow as some I have seen, but still "sings" on the strop. It has been well used, and the hone wear is pronounced, about 1mm. However, it is even, and I had no trouble putting a really nice edge on it. It holds it's edge for as long as any other, and takes only a few strokes on the hone now and then to maintain it.
Whoever made it was proud of the pedigree of their steel, and equally confident of German manufacturing:

View attachment 8029

The scales are quite plain, only one pin, and the blade is quite loose. I could give it a tap with a hammer but I've never seen the problem with this- it goes in a box when not in use, and the way a razor is held, the scales can't move around- they are wedged between the fingers.
I like the engraving on the blade- acid etching wears off when you clean up a tarnished razor, but the writing here still looks really smart.

Because this razor is quite plain, I tend to take it camping or travelling, on the basis that I didn't pay that much for it, and it isn't one of the more ornate ones. Thinking about it though, I would be quite upset if anything were to happen to it- it shaves as well as any other I have, and it has probably had more use if anything.

Latest reviews

I also have this razor, but a 4/8. Looks identical apart from that.
Very nice shaver, but a little too small for my liking. I prefer the larger razors.
I had no problem in honing it up and getting a good edge. The steel was in good condition when I got it, with no rust or tarnish, and it has stayed that way without any special attention.
I like this, but its not my daily shaver

Nick
Another blade I paid a fiver for, took 5 mins to tune, and have been getting consistently brilliant shaves from ever since. It is a Bonsa Extra Hollow Ground (not a brand I've heard of before or since), 5/8, "real Sheffield steel forged and real hollow ground in Germany".

View attachment 8028

The blade looks like it is overworn toward the toe, but this must be the angle I took the photo at. The wear is even, if a little heavy. There is a reason it has had so much use- it is an excellent razor!

View attachment 8027

The blade is not as hollow as some I have seen, but still "sings" on the strop. It has been well used, and the hone wear is pronounced, about 1mm. However, it is even, and I had no trouble putting a really nice edge on it. It holds it's edge for as long as any other, and takes only a few strokes on the hone now and then to maintain it.
Whoever made it was proud of the pedigree of their steel, and equally confident of German manufacturing:

View attachment 8029

The scales are quite plain, only one pin, and the blade is quite loose. I could give it a tap with a hammer but I've never seen the problem with this- it goes in a box when not in use, and the way a razor is held, the scales can't move around- they are wedged between the fingers.
I like the engraving on the blade- acid etching wears off when you clean up a tarnished razor, but the writing here still looks really smart.

Because this razor is quite plain, I tend to take it camping or travelling, on the basis that I didn't pay that much for it, and it isn't one of the more ornate ones. Thinking about it though, I would be quite upset if anything were to happen to it- it shaves as well as any other I have, and it has probably had more use if anything.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)