What's new

Bodyshop shave cream

I just picked up a tub of this at the Philadelphia airport the other day on a lark when I was on my way home. I usually use a TOBS cream. Given the price - which even given the airport mark-up was less than the TOBS - I did not have high expectations.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the performance. It produces more lather more easily than the TOBS and provides good cushion and slickness (slicker than the TOBS). A great product, especially given the local availability and price (+ no shipping costs required).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This was one of my first SC. Did not expect much from it but boy did it help over come some mistakes I made when learning how to use a DE. It is very moisturizing and it lathers easy, buttery and creamy. The scent does need getting use too but I think like most have mentioned it can grow on you and the shave this cream gives makes it all much better. I just used it tonight and had one of those great shaves with now problem. Too bad they don't make both this one and the macca root version which is also pretty good IMO. Grab some if you see it out there on the BST. Price was a 10 base on the deep discounts they were selling this stuff a year ago.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is the first cream I bought a when I stopped using the squirt can stuff. They were just being discontinued and were blowing them out for $4 a jar. I hate myself for not buying the last 6 the store had. Im in love with the scent but its a trade off because you get some of the nicest, thickest, creamiest, lather. All I can say is the English sure know how to make some cream. I havent tried all of the 3T's or some of the other high dollar creams but I have tried Taylors and I think the TBS Old Formlua can hold its own against it.

proxy.php
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Price: Can't beat the price. I believe I paid $16 CND for it.
Scent: I personally love the smell. I can't place what it reminds me of though.
Latherability: Works great. Very rich lather.
Efficacy: Don't need much.
Moisturizing: The main reason I bought it. Lives up to my expectations.
Packaging: Green screw tub. Hasn't let me down so far.
As for price - I got lucky when I picked up four new tubs of this from the BST forum for about half price, so I am leaving that metric as n/a.

This stuff is fantastic. For cream, I usually use one of the Crabtree and Evelyn creams (nomad, sandelwood, etc.) and am happy with those. This cream lathers better than those and moisturizes much, much better. You will probably use more water than you normally use as this stuff really sticks to the brush (and to your face).

As for scent, I would say it is a very subtle puddy/clay scent. But it is very subtle and does not linger at all. For people who use a cologne or after shave, I guess that might be a bonus. If you are looking for something which might leave a scent with you, this is not it.

I see this getting knocked for packaging. The packaging for this ... well, holds it. You certainly aren't paying extra for a heavy glass jar that you can use later, but the packaging used if fine.

If this were then only cream I had, I'd be happy with that.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I picked up a container of this in a clearance bin a year ago for $7 Canadian...great price for the quantity. This cream lathers beyond my wildest expectations, smell is phenomenal, quality of lather is phenomenal but a LITTLE less slick than Proraso or Musgo. If I could choose one winter cream to use for the rest of my life this would be it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is my first experience with this and it took my breath away.
I could not believe the lather I made and the shave I got.
Several times during my 2 pass shave I exclaimed WOW!!!

I lathered for a third pass and there was nothing to touch up.

All 10 cept for scent.
Didn't really detect any scent about it.
Packaging is in an efficient tho very subdued plastic tub. Does it's job.
Lathered in a scuttle...warm lather for three passes...WHAT A LATHER
ONE OF THE BEST LATHERS...
MWF, TABAC, the T's not better what a shave

you should try this...
WHAT A SHAVE....
Tom
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Wonderful cream. I just got my hands on a jar and I love it. The scent is interesting. It's hard to describe, but I'd say it kinda has a mild cinnamon scent to it (minus the bite). I really like it.

It lathers great and leaves my skin feeling nice. I've had a few other creams that really left my skin feeling very moisturized, but this isn't too far behind.

I get a great lather out of the new Maca Root Body Shop cream. Both work great. But to me, the new one has kind of a perfume, feminine scent. I like the smell of this one better. Plus, it seems a little easier on my skin (the new one can give me a slight burn).

I really wish they still made this because after my jar is gone I will want another.
Can you say whow! This is probably the best cream for the price. :mad3:To bad they stoped making this one. I like this scent over there new one!:w00t:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Picked up a few tubs while they were on clearance so the price was very good. I didn't mind the scent and found the lather to be rich and creamy. The only demerit I can give this cream is that is causes my skin slight irriation. Not too much but I can feel a bit of a burn when the lather is on my skin. The first time I used it I took my sweet time and ended up a bit red-faced. Since then I have lathered and shaved with a purpose and have had decent results. All said it is a good buy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I recently picked up this cream for $7 as its being repackaged... Just thought I would mention the 50% discount for those who may want to grab a tub at the amazing price.
as of today the original shaving cream has been taken off the shelves (confirmed at two stores). old stocks do exist at some locations and are being held until dec 26th when they will go on clearance until old stocks are exhausted. get them while you can!
Sad news: This Body Shop shaving cream is no longer available. TBS replaced it with a cream from their new "Maca root"-series.
A nice, fresh smell (how does green Carambole mixed with fresh moss smell?), but the cozy "Christmas-feeling" of the old cream is completely gone and I think it is a little less moisturizing.
Good news is that it still does a great job and contains no more Phenoxyethanol, which is a potential allergen.
I used this cream exclusively for several years before buying a DE-razor and discovering wetshaving in earnest. I still have a tub in my bathroom, but use rarely touch it these days.

There´s nothing really wrong with this cream. It lathers well, cushions well, moisturizes well. The main reason I stopped using this cream is that i simply found others that I prefer over it. I had no problem with the scent until I started using high-end creams, but now I find it sweet and overly powerful. It hangs in my brush even after a proper wash and shake, which kind of spoils the following shave.

So- not bad but there are better creams out there.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Good quality cream which gives lots of slick lather. One problem is that it takes a lot more water than you'd expect but if you go over the top and put too much water in the lather collapses. It's OK once you get the feel for it, but can be tricky the first couple of times you use it.

Price is reasonable but not particularly cheap.

Scent is very nice - definitely some sandalwood in there but I'm not so sure about the vanilla, I think I smell a little cinnamon (could that be the "weird" element some people have commented on?).

All in all, a good product, reasonably cheap and easy to get hold of.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Well overall this falls into the good but not great category for me. It comes runner up to Proraso as a $10 over the counter cream. But with that being said the cream does deliver superb moisturizing properties. That is the real brilliance of this stuff. Very thick and buttery in consistency. The downside is the cream does dry rather quickly and can partially turn to fluff by the shaves end. Smell is very faint soapy smell (a nice soap that is) to non at all. Latherability is good but not great.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I just recently "re-discovered" this cream. When I had originally purchased it I had another half dozen or so new shaving creams to try and it sort of got lost in my collection. Luckily, I pulled it out last week to send a sample of it to someone and as soon as I opened it just the great scent enticed me to try it again.

Price
$14 for a 200ml tub or $10 for a 100ml tube. Not bad at all. On par with TOBS and other similarly priced creams. Since it's easy to get locally you also don't have to pay any shipping charges it actually ends up being a bit cheaper than those other creams.

Quality
Isn't "Quality" just sort of all these other categories combined? Since it scores well in all of them, I would say it's a great quality cream

Scent
The Scent is GREAT. It's really hard to describe. Sort of Sandalwoody, sort of vanilla-ish. It's probably my favorite thing about this cream

Latherability
Lathers well. Nothing to do cartwheels over, but I've had far far worse. I'm not disappointed at all. It lathers well enough for me.

Moisturizing Properties
I've never been a good judge of this, but it's pretty moisturizing. I few hours after shaving last night I was realizing I could still feel the moisturizers.

Packaging
It holds the cream, and it holds 200ml. What more do you want?

I think this is probably one of the best "Bang for the Buck" creams that a person can obtain locally. It should be in everyones rotation.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have been using this cream almost exclusively for a month. I had a few smaples I had scored over the first three months of SCAD, and owrked my way through them, and then bought a tub.

I am using this cream with a 40s's GIllette Parat razor and Red Pack Personna blades. This for me, has become the dream shave. Smooth, almost zero irritiation (unless I'm asleep at sink...) and my face feels great after every shave.

the lubricity is great, with a badger brush (home-made 24mm silvertip knot) it lathers like a madman- i can get 5 passes if I want out of the average 'snurdle'.

My wife thinks it smells of shea butter, but its not listed. I kind of like the smell, and it fades quickly, and even faster with an AS or a balm. I have added a essential oils in the past to change the smell, but I like it the way it is right now.

With a body shop in nearly every mall in norht america, it available, the price is good - $15 CDN for a tub, and it does the job wonderfully. as for packaging - who cares what the tub looks like? it seals well, it contains the cream - its all good.

A review above says that Florena is better - I don't personally agree, and the scent of Florena kinda bugs me. I think the only cream I have and can use on a regular basis that's close is C&E Sweet Almond Oil.

My experience with Trumper, T&H etc is limited to small samplers, so I can't compare with daily use - although the T&H Ultimate Comfort was close to the Body Shop for a good shave.

A top-drawer cream, from a company that does its bit for the planet, too.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Bodyshop cream is the amongst the best---if not the best---readily available non standard-goo or classical brand (Gilette, Wilkinson, Palmolive) cream I've found to date. Newbies to the world of shaving looking for an easy top-notch product they can easily find in regular shopping malls should look no further.

The cream produces gobs of wonderfully thick and lubricating lather without any effort, and shaves closely and neatly. A minor disadvantage is the fact that the lather isn't as stable as that of other creams, and tends to 'coarsen' over time. Tiny bits of foam can suddenly break off and float away on air currents. This is nothing a bit of rebuilding can't fix, and neither is it annoying, but still, it's an odd little blemish.

The scent is an oddity. Many have attempted to define it: at one point I read the description of 'overripe banana', and I think that's pretty accurate. I'd add the additional adjective 'fruity', though. This is not your typical cream scent, being far away from classical fragrances like lime, rose, lavender or sandalwood, but this is a Bodyshop product, and that manufacturer has a strong preference for fruity fragrances---just step into one of their stores and you'll know what I mean. Unfortunately, it can be a hit-or-miss affair, which is probably the reason why Bodyshop cream isn't as well-known as some other brands.

A very strong plus is the fact that Bodyshop stores are literally all over the Western world, so that obtaining a sample or the product itself is very simple. Do not confuse 'broad availability' with 'common' in this case: this is an outstanding product, easily holding its own against any of the other well-known brands and sometimes even surpassing them.

The package is simple but effective, either tube or pot. The tube is a soft, pliable thing with an opening which is too narrow, you have to squeeze with some force to get the cream out. The pot is a lid-screw-on, but not like the standard English pots from Taylor, Trumper and others. Lean and mean.

You can certainly find other products which beat Bodyshop cream on the price: Bodyshop comes in at €6,50 / 100 ml, which is not cheap compared to many other big name brands. But factor in what you get from Bodyshop, and things get very, very difficult for the competition. Honestly, do yourself and your face a favour, and buy this cream now. Don't like the scent? Learn to love it, you nincompoop!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Excellent product - lathers really well - easily available - smells superb!

I find the lather is really warming, moisturising and emolient!!

Some people have posted that they aren't too fond of the smell - but a "sandalwood and vanilla fusion" is, I think, right on the mark!

@ £7.50 for 200g - it's also really cheap!! (and lasts forever!)

One of the first creams I bought as a novice wetshaver - I would definitely recommend for those just starting out (due to price and availability) - but this is certainly not a cream limited to starters - this is a cream that has a permanent spot on my counter!!

If I was to give one negative - it would be the packaging...I think Bodyshop's packaging is really bland...but hey, you haven't bought it to look at the tub!

Hope this was helpful! :001_smile
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability