What's new

Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream

Pros: Nice moisturising and lather.
Cons: None.
As everyone say's the scent isn't great but it grows on you and fades to nothing so it's not a problem. This cream out performs all my others when it comes down to shaving. I am always going to have a tub of this in my shave cabinet.

I would imagine this would be a good cream for the winter months. The more I use it the more I like it. When the tub runs out I will definitely buy some more. I had to come back to this review and edit it to give this product a higher rating.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Silky, pearly consistency and appearance; smell
Cons: Newer product, lacks classic background
I love this shaving cream. It's my new favorite. I found out about it watching Paul H (that Welsh guy on Youtube) shave with it. It smells clean and different, but not all distracting or overpowering. The best part about it is the consistency -- very silky, and has translucent swirls like a pearl. It shaves very well -- the razor seems to slide very well, like a teflon cream. It comes from a British chain called The Body Shop, but I ordered it off Amazon and it was very reasonable. I intend to use this as my main shaving cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: smells good, lathers great, slick
Cons: none
my wife found this on sale and coupled with a coupon got 3 of the smaller tubes for $10. i've never used creams before, so i cant compare it to products like Proraso. that being said, i'm getting a way closer shave compared to my soaps(williams and VDH deluxe) but less irritation afterwards. its slick and is great on my skin. the smell is different from what you might expect, but i actually really like it. if you can find it on sale and/or find some coupons its definitely a great buy
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: scent, lather, after shave feel
Cons: availability
I was a given a sample of this in a trade. The trader was giving it up because his skin reacted badly to it. I'm not sure what's in it, but I had no reaction, just a great shave with a rich, uniquely scented lather. The after shave feel was great, like the after shave feel of TOBS Avocado cream (which is one of my favorite feels).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Good lather, nice moisutizing, great results.
Cons: None
I have been using this product for several years, and have no real complaints. The scent does not bother me the way it does others on this forum, apparently, and I actually find it a rather mild and innocuous scent. It preps my face perfectly, produces a nice lather, ages well in the tub, and leaves me with consistently good results. I couldn't really ask for much more from a product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: lather, scent
Cons: cost
High quality product but pricey. Scent is mild, pleasant and natural (buttery rich, fruity and flowery). Lathers and performs like the Proraso green tube (but no cooling effect), which is great. Quite enjoyable.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Clean scent and finish, good cushion and slickness, takes very little for a three-pass shave
Cons: Little pricey unless you wait for deals
I cannot believe this cream gets as bad as a name that it does. I have been using it now for four months and have barely put a dent in it. The scent is fresh like laundry and SWSBO loves it. It has plenty of cushion and slickness for me, and the tub fits perfectly in my Robert Becker scuttle.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Leather is good - price $10 a tub now
Cons: Scents not a 10 but its okay
At 10 bucks a tub I have to ask the question how does it compare to other 10ish buck creams and soaps?
I suppose the king of 10 bucks creams is Praraso with some competition from RazoRock and Cella, and others.
Scent wise this is one that grows on you and very personal thing I would have to say that Cella is better and Proraso is great on some mornings but after a few shaves it grew on me I would have to say it’s up there if you like that clean laundry small a bit like Mitchel’s wool fat. I am no big fan of RazorRocks fakish almond.
Latherability was top of its price class not a Acca Kappa but its half the price. Lather lasts much longer then RazorRock even better then Proraso or Cella and the lather is richer and thicker.

Efficacy - beard got soft and the razor cut them off real nice. Better then any of the others I have tried at anything like $10 but Arko. It protected very nicely not Geo Thumper nice but nice.
Moisturizing Properties - not its strongest card it was helped a bit by a few drops of almond oil but by itself it was a little … very little drying.
Packaging loved it a nice quality tub not the pain to get open tub that RazorRock comes in or the flimsy pot that Proraso gives you. I find this type of tub easy to stack – it’s important when you have too much shave stuff.
At this price range it is a nice cream; dollar for dollar it’s no Arko, but it’s a good cream
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Great protection and post shave feel
Cons: Non - I wish it had a scent but its natural, so just has its own smell.
I bought the tube version, which contains less than the tub.

I face lather and the regular almond sized dollop of cream was plenty for 2 or probably three passes.

The cream is thick and produces a nice rich lather that protected my face well. I added a little more water half way through shaving as it started to dry near the end, so lesson for next time, whisk in more water. My face was well protected throughout, beard came off problem free and post shave feel was great. Now, 6 hours later, my face is still feeling good. Not clogged at all and fresh. I would expect this cream would suit most sensitive skin types also but you'd need to try that yourself to be sure. Highly recommended.

My only gripe is that it does not really have much scent, just a mild nutty smell. That is probably half the reason it doesnt irritate skin much as its just made for shaving, not for scent.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent smell, good moisturisation, nice lather
Cons: Bit pricy.
I bought this product on a whim and can confidently say that I love it. The cream creates a large amount of lather from a very small amount, the smell is amazing and stays on your face for many hours after the shave, and the moisturising properties are as a whole very good. The cream is also packaged very well in a hard plastic tub with a screw cap.

The only con I can even think of is that the price is a little steep, but when you consider how long a 200g pot will last, it is a non-issue.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Locally available, protective, easy to lather
Cons: Residue
I haven't tried a ton of products, so take this one with a grain of salt.

I was very happy with this product, it lathered well with the Body Shop synthetic brush and resulted in a very good shave. I liked it a little better than Proraso/Bigelow, but it's been a while since I used the other product, and I might just have improved my technique. I wasn't particularly in love with the smell (commercial laundry detergent), but it does grow on you. The only thing I don't like about this cream is the residue it leaves--I can see it on the edges of my fingernails, and I'm sure this means that it's also on my legs, the brush, the shower, the razor, etc. Just a minor annoyance.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Availability, smell
Cons: Price, dries up too quickly
In a country where usually no good products are made available, I was too happy to have found it. And I did so possibly because TBS is gradually establishing presence in most countries.

Because it is my very first, I didn't know what to expect. I really liked the smell, the packaging is great, the texture felt/looked nice. I used it content, since I had nothing else to compare it with.

Eventually and after having now become a little more experienced with different shaving creams I can observe:

1) It dries really fast. By the time I lather my entire face and grab my razor, its dry.

2) It leaves more residue than others. With normal DEs that wasn't really a problem. But with my Merkur Vision 2000 it kept getting in all the little tight spots and drying up, i.e. it is usually more difficult to clean off and doesn't dissolve in water easily.

3) Its protective qualities are nothing to praise. I am more likely to cut myself with it more than Truefitt & Hill's 1805 for example.

I suppose if you are unable to find good shaving creams in your locale, go for it. But if you are readily able to purchase any brand to your heart's content, I would say there are a lot more cheaper and better options.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Works well, Smells good
Cons: Price
Good all round product. I like the smell and the fact that it is not overpowering. Works well and like the packaging. My only problem with it is the price. I paid £5 for one of the 125ml tubes which I though was a bit on the steep side.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to get rich thick lather
Cons: Not enough slickness
Seems like the kind of product a well-meaning spouse or family member might buy for wet shavers. If they bought this for you, use it; it is plenty good enough to enjoy using once obtained. If you are considering a purchase, my opinion is that you have better options.
As with many creams, this product ultimately lacks the kind of slickness that straight razors enjoy. On the up side, I think they have done something great with the scent - many stuffy old manufacturers use rose, lavender, coconut etc., the Body Shop's use of Maca root is refreshing and enjoyable.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: decent cream, easy to lather
Cons: scent uninteresting
This is an easy product to find which is its main selling point. A decent shaving cream with a very uninteresting woody scent. Perfect for emergencies but there are better options out there.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: skin care
Cons: scent
The biggest hurdle with this cream is the scent. It's pretty strong, and I can see how it would be polarizing. To me it smells like spring, maybe hyacinths? It's easy to lather, and the lather it makes has lots of cushion and good slickness. Skincare is where this cream really shines. It leaves the skin feeling moisturized and healthy. I love that this cream is available locally, and it represents a good value (for a cream) at $16/200ml, more product than most English creams and no shipping to pay. I use this most often as a component of a superlather with Williams, which is a super combination.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Scent is not terrible. Packaging could be much nicer and if it were I bet people would be all over this product. This is a pretty solid moisturizing cream with good latherability. This was my favorite until I found gentlemen's refinery but it is still in the rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is an excellent cream.
The scent is subtle. I like the scent, not as much as my TOBS Mr Taylor or AOS Sandalwood.
Lather- this is where this cream stands out. More lather than TOBS.
The lather is rich and creamy, really moist on my face/head.
I'm glad I bought this product. I enjoyed my shave this morning.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I got a fairly generous sample of this cream at the mall a couple of weeks ago, and I have shaved with it two nights in a row. This is a nice cream. A small amount (pea) lathers quickly and easily to a nice moisturizing lather. I got a little more aggressive with my shave and this cream prevented irritation I might have gotten with a lesser cream or soap. The scent seem to be floral to me. It's scent is different from any other cream I've tried and it would be a nice departure once or twice a week. I have at least five shaves left in the sample. It is certainly worth heading to your local mall for a sample.
I stopped by the local Body Shop here in Annapolis recently and was told that the "old" Body Shop shave cream would be brought out after Christmas and would be placed on sale as a clearance item. Might be time to stock up.

Regards,

Chris
Top Bottom