What's new

Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream

This stuff isn't the cheapest, but it lathers super well, smells great (in a modern scent way - try it first before buying), and leaves my skin anything but dried out. The tub, too, will last quite a while - it's a mainstay in my cabinet.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This was a cream I brought after being introduced to wet shaving with Trumper's Violet. This cream lathers very well using a little more than an almond sized amount. It's lathering capability is on par with that of AOS, which I found to be the best lathering cream i've used so far.

The scent will neither make you want to order a cologne version to place behind your on a night of the town, nor will it repulse you. It does smell a bit like a fruity laundry detergent. The scent does not last at all though and whatever aftershave you use will easily overpower it. Even if you don't use after shave the smell is gone with the excess cream you wipe off your face.

Lastly, this is one of the most moisturizing creams I have ever tried. That's not saying a whole lot since i'm new to the game and only have 5 creams, but I have very dry skin and I never feel like I need to use a moisturizing balm or milk after I use Maca root.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Since just starting DE shaving in November, I've been searching for creams and aftershaves with scents my wife also likes. We looked into the Body Shop, and she really liked the scent of the maca root creams, so we picked up some of the razor relief (which will be another review), and got a sample of the cream.

I have been consistantly impressed with this cream. Latherability is equal to Musgo Real, and my razor has similar gliding feeling.

I will be buying the full tub as soon as the sample runs out.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I really like this cream too. I like it as well as T&H or AOS. I was a little concerned about the smell, after reading some of the other reviews but found that it even though it was rather strong in the jar, the strength did not transfer to my face, once a nice lather had been created. Any residue rinsed quite wasily from face, brush and razor. I have been using soap the past few months but intend to use this cream through the remaing cold weather ahead. The moisturizing properties are quite good.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I was skeptical about trying this cream but very glad that I did. Not the biggest fan on The Body Shop in general, but was very impressed with this shave cream. If you feel the same way, just stop by one of their stores and ask for a sample, they are quite generous and helpful.
Really nice stuff!

I got a tester and then bought the tube the following day. The scent is very nice and fresh (didn't give it a 10 cos its not as good as EJ sea buckthorn or C&E almond).

Very slick and quite good in the moisturising department. I got a very close shave with this using my gillette DE and astra superior blade.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Not are good are there old stuff. TOB is a better deal!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I'm a DE newbie, but have learned to use my Grandfather's Fat Boy pretty well. This cream has helped that effort a lot and given me a lot of confidence. I can almost shave at Fusion speed with the same results using this product. It's not my favorite scent. It's not bad at all, but I prefer some of the T&H's. This will certainly be on top of the list, especially when I'm using the old Gillette.

Speedy
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Price: I think this is a great product for the price. They have also removed parabens.
Quality: This is a great cream of very high quality.
Scent: At first I wasn't too sure about the scent. I didn't hate it but it took some getting used to. After using 10+ other high quality creams, I must say this scent is one of my favorites.
Latherability: Extremely easy to get a huge bowl of dense hydrated lather.
Efficacy: Works very well. This has been my go-to cream since starting DE shaving.
Moisturizing: My skin feels really nice and moisturized, but I still follow up with an ASB.
Packaging: perfect sized tub, nice look.

Personally I like this new cream more than the old. The scent seems to me to be the only noticeable difference besides the removal of parabens. I find myself coming back to this cream time and time again and loving it even more.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is my go to cream right now in the cold/dry winter. I wasn't sure how it would be after reading the reviews on the scent. My wife got me a tub for Christmas so boxing day I got to try it out. First off, I love the smell. Its a clean almost sweet scent. I use a Rooney 3/1 super and actually have a bit of a hard time dialing in how much cream I need to load up with the amount of water in the brush. But no matter, its a thick, very cushiony lather that has long staying power in the brush. Its packaged in a nice big tub also so you can dip your brush in to it to load no matter if you have a small or large brush.

Do yourself a favor and give this a go.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This cream has worked better for me than the old formula. I tried a sample - worked great. Bought tub - experienced bad razor burn - returned. Bought tube - works great. Don't know if I got a bad batch or what.
This is a great cream and I love that it is easily available as I live in Canada and have had to think twice before ordering anything online from the US as the Canuck buck went from being on par to 80% of the greenback's value. It lathers beautifully, moisturizes efficiently and smells good as well. It is easily as good as the Proraso minus the strange cooling sensation. This cream will be a regular in my rotation.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I picked up a tub of this a couple weeks ago and love it. It lathers wonderfully, protects my face with a nice cushion and my face feels great after a shave.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
The only other cream I can compare it to is one of the Trumpers which I did like. As you can see I gave this all 10's. The shave was great and it lathered up very quickly, under a minute which was great and suprising. Lots of great lather a nice smell, I guess if you use most things enough you grow to like them and this one shouldn't be any different. A good cream. At the very least pop into a Body Shop and get a sample, you will like it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I stopped by the local Body Shop here in Annapolis recently and was told that the "old" Body Shop shave cream would be brought out after Christmas and would be placed on sale as a clearance item. Might be time to stock up.

Regards,

Chris
Price: $10.00/tube and $16.00/tub. Not expensive, but equal or better creams can be had for less.

Quality: It is a good quality cream.

Scent: Cheap laundry detergent with an undertone which I can't quite place but don't care a bit for. The old cream smelled a lot better.

Latherability: This is one of its highest points. Lathers easily and is very creamy.

Efficacy: OK cushion and slickness.

Moisturizing properties: Good moisturizing properties, as good as Proraso.

Packaging: Nice looking tube and tub. Better than the original cream.

It is a good cream, but like I said above, better creams can be had for less, and the scent killed it for me.
I would rather buy Tom's of Maine Calendula for almost half the price, similar properties and much better scent or Proraso for about the same price.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
You gotta give this cream time for the scent to grow on you. I like many other B+Bers hated the scent at first. It is extremely stongly scented. I would best discribe it as having a floral scent mostly of lavender. As I said at first I hated it, but now I love it scent wise. This cream does just about everything perfectly. It wips up a lot of lather with little effort. The lather provides good lubrication. Also I found that the cream does a great job moisturising my skin. Dispite being heavly scented it also causes no iritation to my face. For packaging I went for the tube, because I like tubes better (less mess, easier to regulate the amount of cream). If it had a screw top the packaging would be perfect.

THis is a very good cream, but It's too expensive: Prorarso, JM fraser's, ARKO, and Real Shaving Company, all manafacture creams that are equal in performance or better for cheaper.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have not tried the old Body Shop cream so this review will not focus on the difference but how this stands on its own.

Price: At $16/tub its in the range of TOBS (which can be had cheaper but the quantity is slightly less for TOBS 180 ml v/s 200 ml).

Quality: Its ok. Actually I prefer this to TOBS avocado in terms of consistency. Felt like a cream even though I got a tub (usually tubs have an issue with drying and becoming hard, but the consistency of this cream was absolutely creamy!!).

Scent: This is something I really don't care for. It reminds me of laundry. And that too, laundry done with a cheap detergent. If this is modern, give me a classic scent anyday. In retrospect, TOBS Avocado smells infinitely better than this imo (lets not even go to classics like Rose etc.).

Latherability: Unlike guitarslinger, I cannot match the lather that I get from TOBS avocado or Musgo Real. They both produce very different lather but good in their own respects. The Body Shop cream just cannot do the same with me. Yes, its not bad, but then again, I might as go with TOBS at the same price point. The lather in the end was plentiful, but it seemed to take a lot more effort to create and seemed to require more cream as well.

Efficacy: Well, once the lather was created, it did its job. Not too dry, not too slick. Quite pleasant, however, again to me it didn't seem quite as cushioned as TOBS. However, it works just fine.

Moisturizing properties: No complaints here. I actually prefer this to TOBs in terms of moisturizing. However, nowhere near my Musgo Real (but then again, that has lanolin) and somewhere in the middle of the road. Not a complaint really.

Packaging: Got to give it high marks here. Beautiful dark blue tub, and smart, just like most Body Shop products. I have seen the old tub, and I think this looks a lot better (blue v/s white). The tub itself is probably the same. It certainly is packed a lot better than TOBS tubs.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Price: $16 for the 200 mL. Not cheap, not expensive either.
Quality: top-notch. nothing bad to report
Scent: smells younger and more modern. It's very much like laundry detergent.
Latherability: on par with Taylor's Creams. VERY easy to lather.
Efficacy: one of the best shaves I've had in a couple weeks. It works.
Moisturizing: medium. Doesn't dry me out, doesn't make me oily. just right, really.
Packaging: top-notch. similar to old tub.

Overall, I like it. Performance-wise, it's top notch. Scent-wise, I have fallen in love with the old stuff, and I'm sad to see it go.:frown:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)