What's new

Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream

I've been using this shaving cream for quite some time now and it makes lather so easily, I keep going back to it whenever I'm pressed for time or would like to try a new brush/new razor/new blades etc.

Price: Easily affordable & having a body shop just about everywhere helps with availability and reduction of guilt over yet another shaving purchase

Scent: I've given the scent a 6 because it isn't particularly memorable, particularly nice or particularly long-lasting. But it doesn't really bother me either. Put on some aftershave and that'll be it for the scent of the cream. Unless, of course you use the same brand/scent aftershave...

Latherability: This cream lathers so easily and reliably, I could probably make it blind, after a long flight and still get more lather than out of most other creams & soaps. Very nice.

Efficacy: I've been using this one the most, so it depletes quickly.

Moisturizing properties: I've given this a 9 because it moisturizes more than any soap I've got. But I mostly rely on my aftershave for this.

Packaging: Comes in a tube or a tub... Both are fine, but I've been using the tub mostly because it's cheaper.

Overall, a very nice cream and I'll probably be coming back to this for some time to come.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I received a sample of this shaving cream from my sister who works at the Body Shop and although I have not tried a great variety of creams, this is my favorite so far.

Lather - This cream lathers up with great ease and a minimal amount of product.

Scent - I'm not sure if I have the new or old type as I read the old type was being brought back, with that said I really enjoy the scent. The scent reminds me of walking into a floral shop and smelling the combination of all the flowers.

Shave - This cream provided a slick smooth shave. Normally when I shave, I go across the grain on my cheeks during my second pass and I always get irritation. This cream eliminated that irritation - absolutely no irritation what-so-ever. Also my neck is a bit sensitive when I shave and this cream kept that irritation to a minimum even after 3 passes.

As you have probably figured out, I was impressed with this cream and will be putting it at the top of my rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Fine shave cream, nothing to complain about except the smell. It's nothing easily explained, using it isn't that bad, but the way it made my brush smell almost made me gag. Fresh out of the tube and lathered it smells nothing more than OK, but after sitting for 2 days any moderating influence must have evaporated leaving nothing but an over-powering stench of Industrial Cleaner.
I just couldn't do it and pulled out the old Nivea (good old work-horse with a generic, un-remarkable smell).
An otherwise excellent cream, the smell just isn't for me.

Additionally, as another Gentleman has mentioned, I experienced a slight burning sensation as well when I used it as a pre-lather prep. I hadn't noticed any burning the very first time I used it but I rinsed it off and decided not to use it anyways; I'll give the remainder to the kid.....
:thumbdown
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I was hesitant to try Maca For Men Shaving Cream. I always thought of it as kind of middle of the road, neither posh enough nor cheap enough. Well, I was wrong and I am glad I took it for a test ride.

I haven't tried the old one but I see nothing wrong with the scent of the Maca version. Light and refreshing. Not a dominant smell in any way, which I find a good thing.

It lathers great, I don't think even newbies will have any problem getting a good lather. Even without brush, although a good badger or even silvertip is something I think makes DE, among few other things, an experience instead of a routine.

As for the glide and moisturizing properties, I had no problem whatsoever, even with my very sensitive skin. No rash or burns in my usual two passes with Feather Portable leaded with ether Feather, Derby or Suede blade.

For the reference, my other soaps-creams in rotation, listed by preference are:

Muehle Aloe Vera soap and cream (the absolute reference as far as my opinion, experience and the reaction of my skin goes)
L'Occitane Soap and Cream (love the soap and not so much cream)
Pecksniff's Cream
ToBS Sandalwood Cream
Proraso Crema di Barba (not a big fan of it but fancy the strong menthol in warm summer mornings)

I also use L'Occitane PreShave Oil but did not feel the need for it with Maca.

At the end, where would I put it on my list of favorites?

It is no match for Muehle Aloe Vera soap or cream.
But, it comes probably neck to neck with L'Occitane Soap, which I find to be a quite surprising, yet a very, very good result.

:thumbup::thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I like the scent, however whenever I use this cream I tend to get razor burn shaving the exact same way I do with other soaps. IDK why, but I just do any tips??
My favourite shave cream so far is the Proraso in the tube. I've also used several other creams and soaps, such as the Williams tallow-based soap, Burt's Bees, Florena, and a sampler from Fendrihan (Cremo).

While this cream is well packaged, smells pretty good and gives a great shave, I can't leave it on my face for very long before it starts to burn my skin. Perhaps it's not well PH balanced? The result is that I tend to rush my shave. Afterwards, I don't feel very relaxed. I had the same trouble with the Florena.

I'm going to finish the tub because it does a good job, but I only use this stuff occasionally because of the irritation. I won't replace it.

A good cream, but not for my skin type.
Got a sample yesterday and was keen to try it out this morning. Having just returned from France where I was trying Avene,Weleda and others I was very surprised at how much more satisfied I was with this cream. It lathered well and gave the razor a confident glide so that my attention was more on maintaining an optimal cutting angle and not on avoiding nicking myself.

It has good moisturising properties and needed very little asb to follow it. My only consideration was that I went a day without shaving so perhaps this helped. Or maybe it was the brisk Irish air coming through the bathroom window which had a hand in what was a very good shave. In any case, I think I will buying a tub as soon as the tub runs out.
I've tried about 15 different creams now, and I have to say that this is the one I end up falling back on. Unlike some of the reviewers, I love the scent. However, its the lathering where this cream shines. With an almond size portion of cream, I get enough lather to do a three pass shave on my head, a three pass shave on my face and leftovers for touch ups - the best part is that it stays creamy right through! The consistency of the lather is creamy and slick with a great amount of cushioning. At the end of my shave, my face feels great with no hint of dryness. My only complaint would be on the price - I would have given it a 5, but gave it a 7 since one tub seems to go a really long way - I've been using it for six months maybe 2-3 times a week and I still have half the tub left.

Currently my favorite!

Sid
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I wish it were cheaper, but that's my only complaint about this cream. Makes a nice lather. The closest thing I can figure it smells like is Fresh Start Laundry detergent.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I really like the new Maca root formulation, but I do find that it does not lubricate as well as the old style cream. I know alot of people did not like the scent of the original, I didn't care one way or the other. Same for the news stuff.

Still, having said that, it lathers like crazy and works really well. Plus, I can just walk to the Body Shop by my house and pick it up when I need it - no driving to hell's half acres or mail ordering which is a real pain in Canada, truly.

So, I like it, I use it and Proraso as my two most common shaves - sometimes I even mix them to create a really cooling effect with some extra lubrication. Try this - you'll like it!

Peace,
Pierre
This is a great shave cream and my ultimate favorite. The scent is very fresh...I love it to the point where I almost want to spoon it out and eat it! :w00t:

I like the idea that there is not a whole lot of "junk" added to preserve it. It lathers awesome, sticks around on the brush for multiple passes and leaves the bathroom smelling great. (How is THAT for a change!):a36:

Out of my rotation of T&H, Taylor, AOS, this by far is my favorite. Easy to buy and $16. USD for 6.8oz. Yes....6.8oz NOT 5oz like the others. A tad goes a long way. A pea size lathers up great on the face and does not fade out into goop but stays full and rich.

I don't rate packaging. As long as it has a lid and stays shut, that's all that's important to me!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I guess Im a bit biased being that this is my first cream ever since using a DE! I like it over all, but will try others some day.

Cheers!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Based on reviews here I picked up a $16 tub of the Maca Root cream and tried it this morning with my Shavemac 177. Wow was I pleasantly surprised. I used about a peanut size piece (its really a soft soap more than a true cream like AOS or TOBS), I ran it around a few times in the bowl and it just latehred away with very little effort. The scent for me was fine. I shaved with a Shogun Stainless and my Mercur Classic. (BIG MISTAKE on the SHOGUN, read my comments in that section) and although te blade was like a hack saw, the cream was wonderful. Can't wait to try it with a real blade.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
After reading this I went to my local Body Shop to get a sample of the new cream. I've been using the old cream for over a year and it's my main stay. I told the sales person that I really liked the old one and wanted to sample the new one before buying a tub. They were very obliging and gave me two small viles. One of the other sales girls heard me and asked if I'd be interested in buying the old tub if they had any left. They did and I bought two at $4 each. Moral of story - ask and you just may receive. I'm still looking forward to trying the new cream but I now have about two years worth of the old stuff. BTW, its better than any of the venerable English creams that I've tried and less expensive.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I'm getting shy of rating some things as I find myself thinking far too much about whether something is an 8 or a 7 etc. Have resisted the urge to go back and adjust all my previous reviews in some kind of pseudo-scientific exercise and just want to say that in my opinion this is a good cream, which lathers easily, smells ok and is reasonably-priced. The packaging is half-decent and not messy and its available everywhere. Can't go wrong really
Price: Not great, but not horrible.

Quality: I wasn't expecting to like this product, but it really caught me off guard. The first time i whipped some up I was amazed at its ease of use, wonderful scent, and its cushioning properties--very nice!

Scent: I really like this scent for some reason...YMMV of course.

Latherability: This cream lathers up REALLY quickly for me with no effort and I find a small amount produces more than I'm expecting every time.

Efficacy: :biggrin:

Moisturizing Properties: Not the most moisturizing cream out there, but really quite good!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Howdy

Still relatively new to DE shaving.
I've tried Palmolive cream and stick, AOS lavender cream, Proraso cream, Trumper's coconut cream. Real Shaving Company cream
The Bodyshop product is a clear winner only let down by the smell, but the smell quickly disappears.
Trumpers is probably as good, with a better smell, but, is let down by price and the availability of The bodyshop cream.
Have never heard of macca root so I assume that is the source of the smell. I would describe it as!!! unusual.
The shave I get from the cream is fantastic and that I'm afraid gentlemen to me is the priority.
Want to smell nice? put on a fragrance. :tongue:
As a relative Newbie to proper wetshaving this was the first "proper" cream I bought. Unlike most others here I actually quite like the scent which seems to be the factor most bothering the others rating it. I didn't realise quite how esay it was to lather up until I bought a much more expensive cream (Penhaligons) which took me quite a while to get the cream:water ratio right. With the Body Shop cream I got almost a perfect result first time.

As someone who gets bad acne as well as dry skin (a killer combo for most products) I have always had good results with Body Shop products and this range is no exception. The also do quite a good face scrub and face wash in the same range.

Living in the UK there isn't an easy source of good and/or cheap shaving creams and so the Body Shop range gets extra points for price as at £7 for a 200ml tub it's the cheapest I've been able to get.

Only problem I've found is unscrewing the plastic lid with wet hands can be difficult.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
The Body Shop Maca Root cream does a good job at providing a slick surface for your razor to glide on, that alone is what makes this a good cream. As for the scent, it is nothing special, I liked the old formulation better. Also, I still have to find out what the Maca root extract does to provide a better shave :confused: In all, this is good product but really nothing special at 14 euro a tub. Palmolive shaving cream for example, is a better product and costs far less. I will use up my current tub but I will not buy a new tub.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
I went to the Body Shop to look at some of their after shave balms and was given a small sample of the new shave cream. I have used the sample three times. A little goes a long way, I probably have two or three shave left in the tiny container.

Anyway, I have used the old stuff and found it excellent in every way except that I am a little allergic to one or more of the ingredients, so I stopped using it. The new cream is as equally as good as the old cream. The scent is different and I do not like it. I really liked the old scent. So far, I haven't had any allergy problems with the new cream. I am debating whether or not to buy the new cream because of the scent.

The lady at the Body Shop said that they will be re-releasing the old cream in July or August.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)