What's new

Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff

This little beauty really blows me away. I had Bob make a Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle and attach it to my Merkur 38C head. It's a "modern old school 3 piece". The knob on the bottom has a magnet which makes picking up a razor blade no problem at all. I like the Merkur heads but the 38C was too long and I wanted more grip. The 34C was a little light.

PRICE: was good as I had the 38C already and the cost of handle is reasonable.
QUALITY: is very high except for a small chip in the razor which is barely noticeable.
USER FRIENDLY: Hard to not use this right.
GRIP: The knurling is superb and the ridges that run down the handle direct water off and give excellent grip.
BLADE REPLACEMENT: 3 piece old style, not a TTO but simple.
AGGRESSIVENESS: About the same as a Merkur with a bar guard but a little more aggressive due to the weight.
ADJUSTABILITY:N/A
BALANCE: Perfect.

This thing is a Merkur 34C on steroids in a tuxedo. Power and class!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
I can only echo the above reviews. It's a lovely piece of craftsmanship for a fair price. Plating is flawless, as is the knurling.

I think the mass of this handle stabilizes the hand...I find it so easy to put it exactly where I want it and move it smoothly. Although at first glance it seems heavy and ungainly, it is extremely ....."gainly" once it's in your hand. As another reviewer said, it seems effortless to keep the right angle.

Ease of blade replacement and aggressiveness? It's a 3-piece, so a little more care is required, and it's as aggressive as any New.

It's a RAD killer for me.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Just got mine yesterday and to say I am pleased is an understatement. I purchased the deluxe mastiff handle with the NEW long comb head. The razor is a true work of art.

Yes it's little pricey but when one considers that each handle is created by Bob,not mass produced in a factory, and is outstanding in terms of fit and finish, it's well worth every penny. Actually, it's quite a bargain when one considers the time and expertise being put into these instruments. The plating is flawless and the NEW head that was included with my razor is perfect in every way.

To be completely honest, I never intended to use this razor on a daily basis. I meant for it to be something that I used once in a while and carefully wiped down and preserved after each use. The shave it's given me however is simply perfect and it's going to be hard to go back to what my previously my favorite razor (a gillette fatboy).

The balance is excellent, the shave completely smooth. I have sensitive skin and something about the open comb just works perfectly. Maybe it forces me to go a little slower or have better feedback and focus on my angle. Regardless of the many reasons, suffice to say I love this razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
I prefer an Old Type razor to a NEW so when I got my Bull Mastiff handle it was a 102b style Old Type Gillette head which I put on it.

Not alot I can add to the other reviews than to say that the Bull Mastiff CURED my RAD!!! I have no desire to try another razor as I consider this to be the top of the line for a shaving experience. The handle is heavy with perfect knurling and together with an open comb Old Type head it gives a perfect shave. :thumbup1:
Hats off to Bob for this fine creation!
Wp

proxy.php
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Been shaving a few times now with the Bull Mastiff XL delux handle along with a replated NEW head and I have to say, its the best razor I have shaved with. The balance is great, and having large hands, I like the long handle of the XL. The grip of the deluxe version is outstanding. I was worried it would be too aggressive, due to the open comb, but its not bad at all, and its very efficient at removing hair. The compact head makes it much easier to get upper mustasche hair under the nose compared to the bulkier TTO type heads. Overall, I am a very happy camper and look forward to getting many years of use out of this baby.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I’d have to say that I agree with most everything that’s been said thus far about Bob’s Bull Mastiff. Rather than repeating what’s been said, I’ll just highlight a few points and add a few of my own.

Craftsmanship: From the overall style of the handle to the barber pole knurling to the nickel plating, this is hands down the nicest handle I’ve ever owned and arguably one of the best available.

Customer Service: This of course speaks to Bob, not the handle, but in our niche world of wet shaving where most vendors’ customer service tends to be good, Bob is among the best. Bob is not only a talented craftsman intent on turning out superb products, he genuinely wants you to be happy with your purchase.

Head: Okay, I’d have to agree that aesthetically, a re-plated NEW is probably the nicest looking head on this handle. My problem is, I don’t like open combs. My solution: a Merkur 1904. It’s the same great head found on all other Merkur razors except that it’s nickel plated (so it matches the handle) and it’s a three piece. The head threads are 10-32, so there’s no customization required. Just take the head off the 1904 handle and put it on the Bull Mastiff, et voilà!

Size & Weight: This handle has some heft and a little extra girth. Not in a bad way, in a good way, but if you’re looking for a light, slender handle, this ain’t it. However, if you’re looking for a solid handle that just feels right, look no further.

Bottom Line: The Merkur Bull Mastiff is an aesthetically beautiful razor. It has a wonderful balance that produces an effortless, world class shave. You’ve already upped your game by switching to a DE. Now it’s time to take it up another notch with a Bull Mastiff.

Compared To: I’ve shaved with a Merkur HD, a Merkur Slant, a Mühle R89, a Mühle R41, a Long Tooth NEW, a Short Tooth NEW and an Old Type. After shaving with the Merkur Bull Mastiff for over a month, I sold them all. Best razor I've ever shaved with. I can't imagine anything better. Yup, it’s a RAD killer.

Ratings:
  • Price (10) – Yeah, it’s $40 just for the handle, but amortized over the rest of your life, it’s cheap. Besides, it’s in line with the higher end handles, and you won’t find this level of hand craftsmanship for less.
  • Quality (10) – Unmatched.
  • User Friendly (10) – It’s a standard 3 piece razor. No instructions required.
  • Grip (9) – Okay, it’s not the industrial strength Merkur HD cross knurling with Lester Hayes’ stick ‘em on it that you wouldn’t drop if you were shaving on the back of a Brahma bull, but it's not slippery either.
  • Blade Replacement (8) – Like I said before, it’s a standard 3 piece. Not as easy as a TTO, but then again, I don’t like TTOs. Not as easy as a 2 piece, but not much harder. Trust me, you can handle it.
  • Aggressiveness (10) – Not too aggressive, not to mild. Just like the baby bear’s stuff, it’s just right.
  • Balance (10) – Wouldn’t change a thing.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
For me, the Bull Mastiff mows down hair like no other razor. The quality is just outstanding; blowing anything Merkur makes out of the water. Thanks Bob! This is now my go to razor!
I use the Bull Mastiff handle with both the New and Tech heads. It is one of my favorite razor(s). The New head took me a little while to get used to, but produces a great shave. The Tech head w/ Gillette Yellow blade on the Bull Mastiff is probably my favorite, go-to razor.

The finish and quality of the head is outstanding. With a re-plated New and Tech head, you can't beat the look and feel.

I can't recommend the Bull Mastiff highly enough. Bob is great to deal with. Although a bit pricey, I think it is a still a great value. You won't be disappointed.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I received my Bull Mastiff last week and it is the ultimate razor and has quickly become my favorite by far. I love it and highly recommend it. For me it works best with Astra, SuperMax and IP blades. Just awesome! Get your's today.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have a NEW head made in England with my Bull Mastiff handle. What can I add? Nothing else than it's one of the best razor I've used. My Hoffritz open comb is also very surprising...

I used that little one for a few consecutive months and I am not regretting it a bit. It's my daily shaver, other razors are just not as interesting anymore. I get a BBS 99%. I'm still playing with the blades, I haven't decided which is my favorite but I have a few contenders lined up like Feather, Astra Superior platinum, Kai and Supermax.

The weight of the razor makes the 'no pressure' rule so easy. I don't feel that I need to apply any pressure as the head just slide and cuts everything!

Is it something you should get? Yes! Just like a slant or open comb, this handle is the other bit of the razor that needs to be tried out. If there's one razor that can cure RAD, it's this one. I cannot guarantee that you won't get any other ADs to replace it...
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Price: Not cheap, at $40 for the handle, and $25 for the replated NEW head, but you get a wonderful example of form meeting function, and worth every penny.

Quality: Handle - terrific! Check Bob's site, and some threads where he documents the process of making these, and not only is the quality apparent, but the artisan's skill and love become evident as well. The knurling on the handle and the pefection of the finished handle (I literally could not find a single flaw) are fantastic - this thing is built to last, and I'm sure I'd never need a replacment. NEW Head - I would have marked this a 10 had it not been for the head I recieved. Ok, we're talking about a razor head from the 1930's, so there's bound to be an issue or two. Mine has perfectly straight teeth and no obvious major flaws, but there's...something...along one of the edges of the top plate, a blemish of some sort, and the logo and text on the bottom of the comb are not in the best of shape (but those could be "flaws" simply because the plate is very thick). As for the replating, it is very heavy and smooth and shiny...the head just glides across your face.

User Friendly: This is my first open comb razor, and I am blown away at how great of a shave it gives with minimal fuss. I'm still trying to get the optimal angle down, but I had no problems whatsoever using it. Only user firendly issue would be if you are not clear on the concept of "NO pressure!" you may have some problems, as it is a very heavy beast.

Grip: Flawless. The pattern and heft of the handle along with the slight oversized knob make this razor nearly undroppable, even when soapy. The perfect grip makes slight adjustments to your angles and touch auotomatic. I don't have huge hands or anything, but I suspect even a gorilla would be able to feel comfortable shaving with this razor.

Ease of Blade Replacement: It's a 3 piece, so...not the easiest task (especially if you hand strop after a shave, which I've simply moved to the "before I shave" stage, no biggie). To clean, simply loosen the head, rinse, turn the cap 90 degrees to the comb, and let it air dry. Also, since you need to grip the head when replacing the blade to unscrew it, and it comes from the time before endcaps, you're essentially gripping the ends of the blade, so be careful (again, this isn't a complaint, it's just an observation...the endcaps didn't come along for some time).

Aggressiveness: I found it to be more aggressive than a Super Speed, less agressive than any adjustable (Futur on 3, Fat Boy on 4, for example), but the open comb helps keep lather between your face and blade, and the weight of the handle contributes a bit to the aggressiveness, so I scored this just slightly more agressive than the middle of the road. I've not trid a whole lot of razors (40's & 50's SS, 61 Fat Boy, Futur), so I have little to no comment here. Let's just say first shave with it, I got a perfect, irritation free shave. Second was another story (one side of my blade seemed duller than the other, so I blame it, not the razor)...

Balance: Again, outstanding. The razor does all the work, you're just along for the ride. Mine has the knurled knob (as pictured), and I like to choke up on the razor, grippping it more in the middle than near the end, and for me this razor just sits perfectly balanced in my hand. When you first pick it up, you'll be suprised at the weight, but once you get it in "firing position", and begin to shave, you don't even think about the act of shaving - some razors, I need to be more mindful of grip, angle, etc. This one allows me to think about other stuff, and just enjoy the experience of shaving.

All in all, This is my favorite razor to date. I love my vintage Gillettes, as they all give me something I like about them (the ease of shaves with the flair tip SS's, the weight and adjustability of the Fat Boy, the balance and aggressiveness, yet smooth shave of the Futur), but this is the first razor that I've used that I could see forsaking all others for. Thanks Bob, you're a true craftsman! :thumbup1:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
What can I say? this is a great razor, and an absolute work of art. I got the NEW head, open come, with what I think are the short teeth. It takes some getting used to, but I think this could become one the main razors in my rotation.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This is a review of a Bull Mastiff fitted with a replated long tooth Gillette NEW head, also from Bob's Razor Works.

Being a sucker for barberpole handles and the Gillette NEW being one of my favourite razors I naturally had to have one of these for my collection:

proxy.php

proxy.php

But this razor is not just looks:

Price:
Considering that each handle and knob are individually hand tuned and that the NEW head requires some customization by hand, the price Bob charges for these beauties can only be regarded as very reasonable

Quality:
The workmanship and nickel plating of these razors are absolutely top-notch. These razors wold have made King Gillette proud!

User Friendly:
For some shavers the open comb NEW head may require some getting used to, but once you get over that this razor will give you one of the best shaves ever

Grip:
Thick with an aggressive barberpole knurling; perfect!

Ease of Blade Replacement:
Like any other 3-piece razor. The special design of the NEW head assures perfect blade allignment every time

Aggressiveness:
Though it feels mild on the face this razor mows down stubble very effectively. The added weight of the handle makes this razor a wee bit more agressive than a standard long tooth NEW

Balance:
The heavy interchangeable knob makes this razor nicely balanced and very easy to maneuver. The best part is that because the knob is interchangeable one can get a lighter knob if he prefers a differently balanced razor

For me the Bull Mastiff the epitome of form and function in a razor - with the Gillette NEW Standard as it's only real contester. I have quite a few razors in my collection, but the Bull Mastiff is the razor I reach for most of the time.
This razor is a must-have. If you do not like open-comb heads then get a re-plated Tech head or use the head of your favourite three peice Gillette or Merkur - and while you are at it; get one of Bob's beautiful custom brushes aswell (se above) :biggrin:

Regards.

Jakob

Ps. Please starte clearly which head(s) you are using with your Bull Mastiff handle in your reviews
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)