What's new

Bluebird Hi-stainless-Platinum

Pros: Very Sharp, Very Smooth, L ongevity
Cons: None
I was using this blade for years, I recently found the Astra's to be smoother but last only half as long as these blades and not quiet as sharp, definitely in my top 3 blades currently in #2 slot.

The packaging has a plastic over wrap and it's hard to take off without cutting into it, but it does include a used blade slot and each blade is wrapped in thick wax paper so they won't rust or get dull in the package over time.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: cost, sharp
Cons: pulling, not smooth
Being new to DE shaving I don't have a lot of exposure to different blades. I had high hopes for this blade. I was hoping that these "cheap" blades would perform well.

I am a daily shaver; I have a heavy beard that grows quickly. Although I think the Bluebirds are fairly sharp they just were not smooth for me.

They are probably a great blade for some... but for me and my heavy beard they just didn't cut it.

imcndn
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharpness, closeness of shave, longetivity
Cons: None so far...
I absolutely love these blades. After having tried Feather, Shark, Astra, Wilkinson Sword, et al, these have become my favorite blades. They do their job well and provide an extremely close shave in my experience. I have gotten my best shaves from these blades so far. I strongly recommend them, but again, YMMV. I just had to get on here and sing their praises. I am definitely a Bluebird man.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp, extremely smooth, less likely to cause cuts
Cons: Sleeper irritation (sometimes)
I'm new to shaving with a safety razor, but have been getting shaves with disposable blade straight razors at the barbers for years.

I've been using Bluebird Hi-Stainless blades for the past fortnight, and would now consider these to be a staple of my facial hair removal. They are slightly smoother than Feathers, and a lot more so than BiCs. But, they are equally as sharp, producing quality BBS shaves with relative ease. They're also quite forgiving towards sloppiness, thus making them ideal for newbies.

One thing to note, however, is that these blades are prone to cause post-shave, or sleeper, irritation. Although the shave is immeasurably smooth with these blades, post-shave irritation may rear its ugly head after you've finished and packed everything away. This is not something I experience with Feathers or BiCs, and, to be honest, it seems to occur without reason. Perhaps, this is a QC issue, or the blades are so sharp that... I can't of think of a way to finish this sentence. Of course, YMMV.

Aside from this, I have a couple of minor gripes concerning packaging and aesthetics. Although I do appreciate the plastic pack, the paper envelopes are of poor quality compared to those used by other brands. Also, the blades are covered with so much glue that it smudges the text printed on them. As I said, these are minor gripes, which do not detract from the quality of the shave.

I can't comment on longevity as I use each blade only once, regardless of brand.

To conclude, I would definitely recommend the Bluebirds for those searching for a cheaper alternative to Feathers, without compromising on sharpness.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp & smooth
Cons: None
Such an awsome blade, so smooth and cool. packaging is great, longevity is okay get about 5-6 shaves, these dont give me nicks compared to sharks or asco, iv never tried feathers but i like these, bluebirds just seem so SMOOTH
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Overall, a very solid blade. I ordered a 100 pack a few months ago on Amazon, and probably paid $12. Free shipping on orders over $25, so $0.12 a blade - not too shabby. Every 10 blades or so, I seem to get a blade that is really shoddy - tugs like crazy, feels like I'm shaving with bag o' glass. [On a tangent, got a T&H shaving cream sampler for Christmas, and I was going to dismiss Trafalgar as not having enough slickness, until I realized it might be the blade causing the problem. It was. Put on a new blade: night and day difference.] If you can accept 10% defective merchandise, recommended. 90% of the blades are terrific - sharp, last me 4-5 shaves, very economical.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Pretty good blade
Cons: Somewhat rough shave
I was surprised at how "rough" this blade felt, I was expecting a sharper, smoother blade. Single day's growth, and while I did get a close shave, I also got two small nicks. Blade only lasted two shaves, so not for me, but I can see how this blade would work wel for others.Please note: I only have one blade, thanks to a PIF, so take my feedback in light of that fact.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Price - I picked these up in a sampler pack, so price is N/A
Quality - Either I got a bad lot or these blades just don't cut it for me (PUN INTENDED!).
Sharpness - Not very.
Longevity - The shave is mediocre at best, and then the blade dulls.
Smoothness of Shave - My face was pretty chewed up by these blades. I don't think I can give them another chance.
Packaging - Standard envelope package.
Price - I've bought two packs on eBay on different occasions and paid about $13 each time for 100 blades. Very reasonable.

Quality - I used these exclusively for over a year and rarely (if ever) came across a blade that wasn't consistent with the prior blade. Very well made.

Sharpness - Before turning to Feathers two weeks ago, I would have given this a higher score, but in light of my discovery, it doesn't quite measure up to the aforementioned gold standard. That being said, it's a plenty sharp blade, though not "Feather-Sharp."

Longevity - Solid 3-4 shaves on my tough-ish beard.

Smoothness of shave - Great performer here...as long as I did my job (light touch), the blade didn't irritate my skin.

Packaging - 5 individually wrapped blades in a plastic case...seems like a standard.

Final thoughts: I loved this blade, and if my beard were slightly less coarse, this puppy would still be my go-to. Definitely give them a shot...an affordable blade that is simple a solid performer with no glaring faults. :thumbup1:
At long last I tried one of these from a comped pack I got with some Japanese blades.

I like 'em! Quite sharp and yet forgiving. Oh, I find them not like the Derby blades at all. Derby was harsh OOB and I tamed them with a piece of cork and used each one once and aloha. Bluebird gave me three CCS in a row. I think of Derby as middle-of-the-road but Bluebird feels "premium", whatever the hell that means. :wink2:

Yep, I'd buy 'em!
I was in-between in a number of rating categories. I purchased 100 of these and have used around 20. All were good, a point above my rating .... except one was horrid. I have no explanation for that.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
This was a major surprise for me. You don't hear much about this blade. A B&B'er sent me a few in trade for some Derby's I didn't like. (NOTE: NO WAY THESE ARE RE-BRANDED DERBY'S - ESPECIALLY VERTICAL ONES) Well, I am totally blown away. Very sharp blade - right up there in Feather territory. BUT, it is also incredibly comfortable and very smooth for me - unlike a Feather. And no weepers, cuts, etc. I did get a BBS from both. I typically toss blades every 2 days when the blade becomes uncomfortable - but the 'Bird showed no signs of wear and tear on my face so I'm onto day 3. I have a tough beard, fairly sensitive skin and shave daily. Also, have skin where I have visable 5 o'clock shadow even after a BBS.

I am in the midst of testing a variety of blades. This one is a definite contender for daily use along with the Gillette 7'o'clock Yellows - actually I like all the 7 o'clock varieties. At this point though the 'Birds are beating even them.

This blade is definitely worth a try. It is also VERY cheap right now. Which is unbelievable given how good they are.

I realize that all blades are YMMV. But, for me, these blades are hitting on all cylinders.

Using EJ 89L and AOS Unscented Cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
A great all round shave. Identical to Derby's in every way from the numerous coatings to the packaging. Certainly worth a try and good value compared to some other brands.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I ordered a hundred pack of these based on the reviews read here. I bought
mine from pitirre985 on E-Bay for $12.95+shipping.
Now on to how much I like these blades, I have had 4 great shaves on 1 blade,
2 with a Slim and 2 with a Fatboy. I believe I will get at least 2 shaves from
the blade.
I don't shave with package therefore the 5 rating.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Thanks to the many comparisons to iridium's and derby's, which are my current faves, I knew that I just had to give these a try. Available on ebay you get free shipping to the UK which makes them very cheap indeed @ £6.60 for 50 blades.
First impressions were a bit of tugging going with the grain but suprisingly, cross shaves and against the grain shaving was very smooth.
Longevity = 4 to 5 shaves which is great.
The sharpness is right up there with the best and I have tried many brands over the years.
These are a great blade if you like iridiums or derbys as they seem to share very similar qualites, at the moment I would pitch them just below the iridiums but my opinion may alter the more I get to use them.
After a shave, I find that if you rub your face a lot, admiring how well your technique has produced a really close shave, then it will happen more often that not with a Bluebird.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Price: Pretty good for a sharp blade.

Quality: There weren't any defects in my pack.

Sharpness: Quite good. Not a Feather but sharper than most mid-level blades, it seems.

Longevity: Three shaves and they're done, which is realistically not bad.

Smoothness: Here's my problem. They seem decently smooth but wait a bit and the sleeper irritation jumps out. Maybe they are a bit too sharp for my newbie technique, I dunno. But if you are like me what you think is a smooth shave turns into a burner after a few hours. Too many other good three-shave blades out there to fool with these for this reason, in my noob opinion. Maybe as my technique gets better I can re-evaluate at a later date.

Packaging: Sturdy Derby box.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I was going to post my review but that noted wordsmith Topgumby has already said everything that I was going to.

A quality blade, but not my blade either.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I almost hesitate to post this, because I don't want the Bluebirds to become to popular and drive up prices.

There's a lot of debate as to whether these are simply renamed Derbys. Well, even if they're made in the same factory, these are not the same blades as Derbys. They're much, much better.

Price: Not the cheapest around. I got a 25 pack off Ebay for $7.99-an average of around 30 cents a blade. That's pretty high compared to per-blade prices in its class, but few blades are in its class.

Quality: Exceptional, as far as I can tell. I've used three of them so far and they're all consistent.

Sharpness: If Feathers are the "10" here, Bluebirds are a couple steps less. Probably in the same class as Crystal Israelis and a little higher than Red Personnas.

Longevity: I consider any blade that gives me more than 3 shaves to be excellent. I generally get four excellent 3-pass shaves out of them.

Smoothness: These are right up there with Feathers in terms of lightness of feel and lack of drag. But, unlike the Feathers, Bluebirds don't leave a trail of weepers in their wake. I can dial them up to 6 on my Fatboy and Slim, whereas a Feather will slice me up at anything above a 3.

Packaging: Wrapped in plastic, environmentally uncool but better for using than the cardboard.

Bluebirds are one of those true "YMMV" brands that some love and some hate. However, their popularity seems to be growing in the B&B community, and it would definitely be worth your while to try a five pack or trade for a few from someone who uses them.

Jeff in Boston
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
This is the YMMV thing rearing it's head again.

I'm sure these blades are quite good, and the members enthusiastic about them are 100% correct.

They just don't work as well for me as other blades I've tried.

The seem quite sharp, but not smooth for me. Feathers leave me unscathed, Bluebirds are apt to produce nicks, weepers and irritation.

They seem to be good for about three shaves. I've tried other blades at this price point that last much longer.

I'm not saying it's a bad blade, or that they aren't worth trying. In fact, just based on the enthusiasm they generate with other members, I'd recommend them highly to somebody trying to find "their blade".

It just isn't "my blade".
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I am...WAS...a die hard feather guy. I'll still take a feather over a BB....but I already bought 100 of these...keeping the feathers for my weekend shaves only! :) The BlueBird is a very close second to the feather. IMO.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)