What's new

BLK-8

Pros: As soft as a cloud or pillow
Cons: Too soft for face lathering
I own a BK8, the Ivory handled version. This is the most luxurious and densest brush in my den. As already mentioned, it excels with creams (I've been using the Kent cream) and bowl lathering.

I don't have anything from Savile Row, Simpson's or any of the other oft mentioned great badger brushes. Eventually I plan to buy at least one of all the highly regarded British brushes but I can't imagine how they could be significantly better.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Fantastic for creams
Cons: Too soft for soaps
I was tempted to go with the BLK8's big brother, the BLK12x, but this brush is plenty big enough. So much so that it tends to eat all the lather out of the bowl, which was a bit alarming at first. The good news is that the BLK8 always gives it back. This brush whips up cream like nobody's business but is too soft for soaps. Feels like a million bucks on my face. Absolutely superb for face painting. Takes a bit of extra rinsing and care due to its size and density. It's like owning a Great Dane. After a while, your dog looks normal and all the other dogs look small. Now I always get a laugh out of my dinky EJ travel brush when I hit the road. Highly recommend if you're a cream man and think you might like a large high quality brush.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Lush and luxurious
Cons: A bit floppy
This is a truly luxurious brush. The handle is extremely comfortable - I love this shape. As other reviewers have mentioned it would be nice if the emblem were engraved instead of printed. But that's just a minor aesthetic detail.

This wonderful for creams and quite good for soaps but not the best. Overall a wonderful brush with a great travel container.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Ergonomic, beatiful, well made, classy
Cons: not much backbone
I bought the BLK8 about 2 months ago now and do not regret this purchase at all. The package came beautifully protected in the traditional Kent coffin case. Impressive to start out of the "box". Upon the first use I noticed the softness of the hair; no doubt very carefully selected. I felt the brush doing mock brush strokes upon my face. WOW is the only word to describe the way this brush feels. A pillow of badger. On my first use I quickly and maybe unfairly as I am a big fan of Simpsons noticed the density difference as the Kent as I say is probably the best bowl lathering brush on the market. Surprisingly though less dense BUT still well packed , please do not misunderstand that. The heat retention as well as water retention was superb. Fast forward 2 months of use. This is a great face lathering brush with a little help, as on it's own the backbone was not there. Easy fix and you should do this even if bowl lathering, hold the brush where the knot penetrates the handle and control the amount of backbone manually. I have now bowl lathered creams and hard soaps; face lathered both creams and hard soaps and this is an amazing aspect to a fine gentleman's shave. It is luxury plain and simple, if you like the feeling of soft tips a great ergonomic handle a piece of brush history -KENT than this brush is a must have. As I said if your a bowl latherer this is the only brush you will ever need; Face latherers there may be better options but at this price point of only $190 USD you get all the benefits I just mentioned and come on all you need to do is squeeze a bit above the knot and more than ample back bone is created to be a great face lathering brush. An all around winner in my book now go out and buy it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautiful in appearance and feel.
Cons: May be a little soft for hard/dense soap. Printed label.
Beautiful brush, one of my favorites. I do use it to face lather and it does so beautifully. I rated softness as 8 because I do own other silver tip brushes that are softer. 8 on stiffness, it is a silver tip brush and is as stiff as I would expect. There are brushes that are more dense, but I like the feel and lather this brush produces. Possibly if you use very dense soaps this brush may be too soft or not dense enough. With cream, I get excellent lather. For the price I would like to see the label etched or engraved, but that is minor. Overall an excellent brush with classic British style.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Pros: I found this brush to be the perfect bowl lathering brush for creams
Cons: Too soft and floppy for face lathering IMHO
This is my favorite brush for bowl lathering shaving creams, both hard and softer creams.You get thick dense lather in 30-40 seconds, the grip is very ergonomic and nice, the tips are extremely soft and the overall size of this brush suits me perfectly for bowl lathering. The perfect bowl lather brush IMHO My Simpsons Polo 10 Super is also very nice, but frankly a bit too dense for bowl lathering and a lather monster HOG - not so with the Kent BLK8.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)