What's new

Blade Guard

Pros: allows transport of loaded razors, stores heads with or without blades, makes a safe and easy way to change loaded heads for different handles
Cons: none
I recently discovered the Muhle blade guard which can be used to transport your razor without removing a blade. I picked up mine from BullGooseShaving.com for $6.95 each.

The BullGooseShaving site said that it would fit most razors with standard size heads but would not fit over-sized heads like the Merkur Futur or Merkur Progress.
I use it with the Muhle R89 and 2013 R41 heads and it is a snug fit.

Normally, if I was traveling and needed to transport a blade that still had a few more shaves in it, I would put the blade in a separate small, flat plastic pill box and then put the razor in my leather Parker travel case with felt lining (and yes, Parker fixed the issue with the rivet so it is covered with felt on the inside and will not scratch your razor handle).

Now, I can leave the blade in the razor, slide the blade guard over the head and slip the razor into my Parker travel case and it will snap closed for travel. No worries about the blade cutting the case (or your fingers).

Once I picked up the 2013 R41 head and picked up a Weber bulldog handle, I found another use for the blade guards: store the heads with blades for easy access and just attach the handle to which ever head I want to use on a particular day.

That way I can keep a different blade in each head, stored safely in each guard and use which ever handle I choose for a given day without worrying about picking up the head and accidentally cutting my finger on the blade when the head starts to come apart. Just attach the handle to the head which is safely contained in the guard and then remove the guard. When I am done, I can put the guard back on the head and remove the handle for use on the other head. It is also handy to store the heads without blades (so I don't misplace the parts) when I am not using a particular head.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)