What's new

Black Maple Hill 16

View attachment 6672

Black Maple Hill 16 is one of my favorite bourbons. It's tremendously rich and considering it's small batch, single barrel, 95 proof and 16 years old, very fairly priced at $62 a bottle. Simple elegant packaging with a rustic black label and black wax on the cap.

Nose: Undeniably rich. Wood, earth, plantlife, some citrus and herbs, primarily mint. There are also traces of leather, oriental spices, honey, and molasses. Rustic, rugged and complex, the aroma takes me to a cabin in the woods sitting in a rocking chair after a day of being outside listening to the birds and enjoying nature and the great outdoors.

Palate: Opens with brown sugar, smoky rye spice and corn sweetness, Honey mixed with gentle, freshly picked herbs. Dried apricots, sun heated leather, and peppery Asian spices, lead into baked spices and mild white oak. Well balanced.

Finish: Waves of spice and smoky wood linger for minutes along with rye and a touch of black and green pepper, end note of charred white oak. For such a strong flavor, not as long of a finish as I would like.

A wonderfully complicated bourbon, with many strengths of a mainstream product provided in a powerful package with subtle nuiances, both rustic and extremely subtle and complex, a feat in and of itself. This one is best enjoyed taked in very small sips and let the whisky coat your mouth and linger to absorb the flavors. I find 16 years to be a great age for bourbon, at first sip it may seem overly dry but let it sit for a few minutes take a small sip and savor, well worth the time.

Overall: 94

Here's a link to the Discussion Thread.
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)