What's new

Benton Clay - Lavender

Straight out of the container, the first thing I noticed about Benton Clay's Lavender was the scent. Lavender with a bite; not harsh enough to be unpleasant (if you've ever smelled a good EO, you know what I'm talking about), but with the tang that I associate with fresh lavender! BC lacked some of the soapy scent that often dilutes this fragrance, such as in TOBS Lavender soap, which has been my benchmark up until now. The scent is fantastic, and the only reason I rate it under 10 is that, while definitely not weak, I believe this kind of scent should be on the stronger side to bring out its good qualities.

It is a very easy soap to load, owing to its softness. Think of a halfway point between P160 Tipo Duro and the more common "hard soap" consistancy found in the three T's, and you'll get it. Coincidentally, it reminded me more of stiff clay than anything else! I did not have to swirl my brush as long on this puck as I normally do on my harder soaps.

The ease of lather-making is about on par with most others. Honestly, I have a hard time differentiating any soap when it comes to speed and ease of lathering; I take my time and the lather just happens. BC Lavender is no different.

The shave itself was a bit surprising. My initial impression was that the lather was not slick enough. I felt the pull (not skipping or tugging) of my whiskers a bit more than usual. It still turned out to be a comfortable shave, but I was preparing for some irritation when I applied the alum. There was none! I usually get a bit of irritation, especially under my chin where I have to go ATG to get a close shave, but despite the pulling there was no stinging at all under the alum!

I have to conclude that the lather is a little less slick that I would like (hence the 9 on efficacy), but offers amazing cushion and protection. I was very pleased with this aspect of the soap.

As for moisturizing, I tend to let my aftershaves handle that, so I can't really comment.

Overall, this is fantastic offering in the world of lavender, and especially at the price ($7 shipped CONUS from Canada for one puck, shipping rates improve over one!), it has jumped to the top of list! I highly recommend trying out a puck, especially when you can get BC's substantial sample pucks for a couple of dollars shipped.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
This evening I had a shave with Benton Clay's Lavender Shave Soap and was happy with the results. I was most impressed by the scent itself. I found it to have a spicy note that really made it pop. I compared it to some Taylor's Lavender I had in my den and found Benton's Scent to be superior. I was able to produce a great lather with just my humble Tweezerman Brush and it held up great for a four pass shave. The cream was slick enough to protect my face from a Feather Blade. I have somewhat sensitive skin and the lather did not irritate my face.

I think the price is very good considering the quality of the product. I can easily suggest that any Lavender fan give it a try. :thumbup1:

Lather!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)