What's new

Beard Tonic

Pros: light feel and scent
Cons: none
I need to preface this review by saying that I'm picky when it comes to what I put on my face. I only have the one, and I'm kinda attached to it. I've kept a goatee for over 10 years, with a few months here and there where I decided to go clean cut. My 9 year old son says I look weird without it, if that's any indication. When i first grew the goatee, I used aftershave balm to keep the skin underneath moisturized with poor results. As my wife and I started to make our own bath soap, we did research on different oils and their effect on skin. That's where I switched over to coconut oil mixed with an essential oil blend to keep my chin happy with mixed results. My problem with the coconut and EO blend is that it would cause random breakouts due to the comedogenic (blocks pores) properties of the coconut oil. Most sites and lists I came across rate it at a high comedogenic level, or at a 4-5 out of 5 if they used a numbering scale. That's where the Grizzly Brand Beard Tonic comes in. It's made with almond and apricot oil. Both of these rate low or 1-2 on different comedogenic scales I've seen. The scent is clean/woodsy/sweet/with a very slight medicinal hint from the tea tree oil. The Texas Cedar essential oil is lighter and a little sweeter than regular cedar EO, and the cinnamon/peppermint/tea tree combo works well. I would put the scent between sandalwood and clove free bay rum and it works well with any clean scent or other wood scent like sandalwood, cedar, and even pine like Krampert's Frostbite aftershave. It took a couple days to get the application amount down. These guys have full beards so they have much more real-estate to moisturize than the goateed masses. They recommend a dime size amount of oil for a full beard. I have been using 3 drops on my fingertips and found it to be almost perfect for my skin and goatee. It comes in a glass 1oz. dropper bottle so this should last me close to a year if not longer. The label is nicely done and is water and oil resistant. The tonic does a great job of keeping facial hair conditioned, under control, and the skin underneath your beard happy. I would have given this straight 10's but I think if you were trying to lather this stuff, you might need to get your head checked. Overall, this is a great product that will hopefully be around for a long time. It has a permanent spot in my daily routine!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)